Sub Amp Selection and Stock Electrical Capabilities

This is a discussion on Sub Amp Selection and Stock Electrical Capabilities within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; upgrading my stock audio system, cause as most of you know.. it blows. Haven't decided on a head unit yet, ...

Sub Amp Selection and Stock Electrical Capabilities

upgrading my stock audio system, cause as most of you know.. it blows.

Haven't decided on a head unit yet, but i'm getting a Sundown Audio SA-8 v2 sub (500 rms Jacob from sundown said they'll take 600-650 all day). My dilemma is deciding on the amp to get for it. I'd like to have the ability to run 650+ watts at 4 ohms (for efficiency, lower distortion, lower gain setting to keep heat build up to a minimum, and allow for upgraded system in the future).

What I don't know, is how well our stock electrical will stand up to a true ~600 watts rms ( 750 watt pull when you factor in the 80% efficiency at 4 ohms so its actually pulling 750 from the electrical to make the 600).

And i'm assuming voltage drop isn't a good thing in terms of ECU, the tune, affecting the injectors, etc. Not that i'd be blasting music while doing a pull. I'm rambling now but just trying to put out some of my thoughts so that maybe someone can elaborate on them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Some people who have very powerful systems upgrade their alternator and related wiring, but based on your plans you should be fine.

I ran an Alpine Type R dual voice coil wired in parallel at 2ohms, and 1000rms Kenwood amp, for about 18 months in my WRX and it did just fine. No electrical issues whatsoever.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Some people who have very powerful systems upgrade their alternator and related wiring, but based on your plans you should be fine.
    yeah i know there are all those options, i just didn't know if it had any negative effects on the performance side of things