Help "unlocking" the stock Stereo...

This is a discussion on Help "unlocking" the stock Stereo... within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; So I just saw a video on youtube from SmurfinWRX on how to Unlock your stock deck to make it ...

Help "unlocking" the stock Stereo...

So I just saw a video on youtube from SmurfinWRX on how to Unlock your stock deck to make it sound better. His is a 2011 and I am wondering if this can be done on the 2003 WRX??? Anyone on here done this before?
    Thanks guys!

How to Make Subaru Stereo Better Louder | Subaru WRX / STI - YouTube

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Trenda22 View Post
    So I just saw a video on youtube from SmurfinWRX on how to Unlock your stock deck to make it sound better. His is a 2011 and I am wondering if this can be done on the 2003 WRX??? Anyone on here done this before?
    Thanks guys!

Not to my knowledge.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

KHP
    Wow... Thanks for posting this! Didn't know that this could be done. It seems like this hidden setting normalized the HU's equalizer. Radio now sounds a lot better especially everything that's not bluetooth/aux stream.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

Thanks guys!

Thanks for posting this. I was about to jump in and post this myself, as I discovered it from a forum on Nasioc a few weeks ago.

It really does help in making the stock system sound better. I was skeptical at first, but glad I found it.

Apparently, it works by putting the system on "loud setting" (through mode), which is much different than simply turning the knob up or down. I am not an audiophile, so correct me if I am wrong, but from what I understand it changes the output volume of the lows/mids so the sound is more balanced when it is set up this way.

The sound is more natural and I don't have issues with the bass buzzing. Is it a replacement for a stereo system upgrade? No, but for now it makes the stock set up tolerable.

In case the video isn't working...

1) Turn off the audio system.
    2) Hold down 1 & 4.
    3) Tap "tune" dial twice while performing step 2.
    4) Your radio will say Through mode and it is all done.
    5) Turn on the audio system and enjoy.
    2011 wrx sedan DGM

-35% window tint
    -Torqued performance stage 1 (using tactrix)
    -Continental DSW tires

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I am wondering if this can be done on the 2003 WRX???

no

I tried this a few days ago. It did not make the stereo sound better in my car. Loud was already on. Through mode made everything sound tinny. The radio sounds like crap regardless of settings.

I Support ClubWRX
    Do you have the nav or the base head unit?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Do you have the nav or the base head unit?
    The OP has a bugeye. These were the "pre-nav" days when mammoths roamed the earth, Ray was middle-aged, and people navigated with... *gasp* ... a map.

In all seriousness though, the bugeye came with a plain-jane AM/FM/6-CD head unit. Like all Imprezas, it was pretty terrible.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    I tried this a few days ago. It did not make the stereo sound better in my car. Loud was already on. Through mode made everything sound tinny. The radio sounds like crap regardless of settings.
    I do think it is largely a matter of preference. Even after I learned of the "secret" menus, I spent a couple weeks tinkering here and there til I found a combination of those settings plus the regular bass/mid/treble that I found palatable enough to listen to...for now.

I actually did end up using Loud and Through modes, but with an interesting setup on the other settings. Works for me, but my ears and requirements are certainly different than yours.
    - Will

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I should make a youtube response video on how to "unlock" the Subaru head unit for vastly improved sound.. the video will be comprised of me chucking the OEM stereo in the trash and installing an Alpine deck.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    The OP has a bugeye. These were the "pre-nav" days when mammoths roamed the earth, Ray was middle-aged, and people navigated with... *gasp* ... a map.

In all seriousness though, the bugeye came with a plain-jane AM/FM/6-CD head unit. Like all Imprezas, it was pretty terrible.
    Ah missed that...there is some tinkering on the new gens you can do to get better sound

Edit - I was actually directing that at "Soobvirgin"
    Last edited by 11blackSTi; 07-17-2013 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    I do think it is largely a matter of preference. Even after I learned of the "secret" menus, I spent a couple weeks tinkering here and there til I found a combination of those settings plus the regular bass/mid/treble that I found palatable enough to listen to...for now.

I actually did end up using Loud and Through modes, but with an interesting setup on the other settings. Works for me, but my ears and requirements are certainly different than yours.
    Upon listening to the stereo in my car for the first time, my wife (who cares more about music than I do) said, "It seems the engineers mistook a vibrating dash for bass."

Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    Upon listening to the stereo in my car for the first time, my wife (who cares more about music than I do) said, "It seems the engineers mistook a vibrating dash for bass."
    Proving my point. I don't need a lot of bass/volume so I don't have it set up for it. I wanted a cleaner sound at lower volumes and was able to find it, with a lot of tinkering. Is it good? No. Will is suffice until I decide to deal with an aftermarket setup? Yep. For other people though, like your wife, I can definitely see how the stock stereo would be worthless.
    - Will

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm fine with the Outback's head unit function-wise (not that I really have a choice), but it could use better bass management. The mids and highs aren't bad though.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Thanks! I will try this.

Quote Originally Posted by fickel8 View Post
    Thanks for posting this. I was about to jump in and post this myself, as I discovered it from a forum on Nasioc a few weeks ago.

It really does help in making the stock system sound better. I was skeptical at first, but glad I found it.

Apparently, it works by putting the system on "loud setting" (through mode), which is much different than simply turning the knob up or down. I am not an audiophile, so correct me if I am wrong, but from what I understand it changes the output volume of the lows/mids so the sound is more balanced when it is set up this way.

The sound is more natural and I don't have issues with the bass buzzing. Is it a replacement for a stereo system upgrade? No, but for now it makes the stock set up tolerable.

In case the video isn't working...

1) Turn off the audio system.
    2) Hold down 1 & 4.
    3) Tap "tune" dial twice while performing step 2.
    4) Your radio will say Through mode and it is all done.
    5) Turn on the audio system and enjoy.