Looking for new HU that connects to factory mic/aux/USB/etc.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Looking for new HU that connects to factory mic/aux/USB/etc. within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I'd like to replace the factory head unit on my 2013 WRX but I don't want to lose my connections ...

Looking for new HU that connects to factory mic/aux/USB/etc.

I'd like to replace the factory head unit on my 2013 WRX but I don't want to lose my connections to the factory mic/aux/USB. I don't really want to run new wires/cables/etc. to connect my iPod, iPhone, or Bluetooth mic. Ideally I'd be able to hook into the factory systems... can't see why it wouldn't be possible - at the very least I should be able to splice into the various wires connecting the aux/USB/and mic systems but if I can find a HU that easily connects them so much the better. Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ae64.com
    ^^for harnesses and adapters to keep stock connections. or at least check out his stuff to get an idea how to do it if you'd like to tackle it yourself. also sells access (axws) whatever its called to keep bluetooth and steering wheel functions and updates the firmware before sending it. Assuming that the HU you buy has bluetooth connectivity.

Keeping the factory Mic i have heard is quite hard/impossible? but google how to do it on a 2011+ wrx and you will probably find some instruction how to do it, or at least ideas from where to start and go from there.

other than that, make sure the unit has USB and AUX rear connections. and that it has a microphone.

if your really going for stock look you can get a JDM DIN HU bezel, but those are expensive. for some people not having a slight gap around the HU is worth it though.

to be safe i'd budget an extra $100ish on top of the HU, more if you want the JDM bezel. and be ready to possibly have to solder/splice wires.

Goodluck. (i'm sure there's stuff i've missed)

Thanks.

What do you think of DSP units like the Helix PP50DSP? (Helix PP50DSP Plug and Play digital signal processor with built-in 5-channel amplifier at Crutchfield.com) Line level inputs aren't ideal but ultimately maybe easier than swapping out the HU and dealing with the lose of connectivity (or rewiring for it). Also, they don't currently have a plug and play preset for our cars... that's a downside since one of the biggest selling points is that it's custom mapped for your car.

Next step is to see if the wife will let me spend more money on the car!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.