Car Audio Upgrade Questions

This is a discussion on Car Audio Upgrade Questions within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Hey guys, I have a 2013 WRX and I want to replace my door speakers and possibly my tweeters. I ...

Car Audio Upgrade Questions

Hey guys, I have a 2013 WRX and I want to replace my door speakers and possibly my tweeters. I know nothing about audio installation so I have a few questions.
    What speakers if any have the same fitment as the factory speakers?
    Will I need to upgrade anything else for the speakers to work properly (head unit, amp etc)?
    What recommendations do you guys have for quality speakers that wont hurt my wallet?

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Replacing the speakers is relatively pointless unless you replace the headunit. The stocker is underpowered. Replacing it will provide a better and more clear signal to the speakers, meaning they will sound better.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    The worst part of the entire system is the head unit, so I would replace that first if I were you.. then if it's still not up to your standards consider replacing the speakers.

I'm not positive about the 2013 but I know all older models will fit 6.5" speakers in the front doors IF you use speaker spacers.

I Support ClubWRX
    H/U
    H/U + subwoofer
    H/U + Front components + subwoofer (a 4- or 5-ch amp can power both the components/sub to save on space and $)

Be aware that the factory tweeter locations suck for staging, and you'll want to mount the aftermarket ones elsewhere. You'll want them in either the kick panels or the A-Pillars, which means cutting into factory plastic pieces. However, if you're going to do it, do it right; those parts are cheap enough to buy replacements for, anyway...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    H/U
    H/U + subwoofer
    H/U + Front components + subwoofer (a 4- or 5-ch amp can power both the components/sub to save on space and $)

Be aware that the factory tweeter locations suck for staging, and you'll want to mount the aftermarket ones elsewhere. You'll want them in either the kick panels or the A-Pillars, which means cutting into factory plastic pieces. However, if you're going to do it, do it right; those parts are cheap enough to buy replacements for, anyway...

+1 to all of that.. kick panels are the best place to mount tweeters

What door speakers and head-units do you guys recommend I want something that is quality but wont hurt my wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by GotBoost94 View Post
    What door speakers and head-units do you guys recommend I want something that is quality but wont hurt my wallet.

What's your budget? There are a lot of decent head units depending on what kind of features you're looking for. As far as speakers go, the cheapest set I would spend money on would be 6.5" Infinity Kappa Reference coaxials (which go for less than $60/pair). If you want something that's really going to sound good Hybrid Audio Imagine I61-2V2 6.5" Components can't be beat for the price ($299), although you would want to run those off of an amp and Dynamat your doors to get the best out of them..

I will second anything Infinity for speakers. I have an Infinity Kappa Perfect sub and I love it. Used to have Kappa Perfect components in 2 of my last couple cars as well. They definitely sound great.

I'm a fan of anything Alpine, Kenwood, or Pioneer when it comes to head units.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Back in the day I re-did my entire first car's audio system (1999 Ford Taurus). Did a TON of research and not sure if it will apply to WRXs specifically, but hopefully the info will be of some use.

Best thing you can do is, as stated above, replace the head unit. Get one that will give you a proper amount of ohms and ohm control. 4 ohms should be good as that is not too much resistance, but not too little so that you'll blow out all the speakers. You can pick up a decent one for around $150-$200. I had a pioneer unit ($250 installed) and just replacing that made the sound in the car SO much brighter.

Next, I'd go with replacing wiring. Wiring to audio systems in cars is usually pretty much useless and has a high amount of power loss and resistance so that you don't blow out any fuses or speakers. Even without replacing the head unit, a wiring upgrade will give you a nice, clear sound without breaking the bank. Install on wires can be pricey so watch that, but wires themselves shouldn't run you too much money. If you do this, be sure to upgrade fuses as I blew all of mine and my speed-o wouldn't work.

Finally, and amp would be great if you plan on running a sub or even without a sub. A low wattage one is all you'll need, nothing fancy. Too much wattage will cook your wires and head unit and possibly where ever you mount it as they can run VERY hot in the summer. Be careful if you go that route.

Stock speakers used to be really bad as they were made out of cardboard or paper-like materials. Some still are, but unless you're really going to destroy your ear drums and are planning a massive upgrade, there's really no need to replace the stock speakers in a car anymore as an upgraded head unit will have vastly superior EQs and controls. If you do want to replace speakers, just about anything with a rubberized cone will do the trick. I agree with Mikie on the Infinity's. I ran all Rockford Fosgate in that car, but I've heard they've since dropped off in quality.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by ShiftingLanes; 05-31-2013 at 12:16 PM.
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

Quote Originally Posted by ShiftingLanes View Post
    ..Get one that will give you a proper amount of ohms and ohm control. 4 ohms should be good as that is not too much resistance, but not too little so that you'll blow out all the speakers..

Next, I'd go with replacing wiring. Wiring to audio systems in cars is usually pretty much useless and has a high amount of power loss and resistance so that you don't blow out any fuses or speakers. Even without replacing the head unit, a wiring upgrade will give you a nice, clear sound without breaking the bank. Install on wires can be pricey so watch that, but wires themselves shouldn't run you too much money. If you do this, be sure to upgrade fuses as I blew all of mine and my speed-o wouldn't work.

Finally, and amp would be great if you plan on running a sub or even without a sub. A low wattage one is all you'll need, nothing fancy. Too much wattage will cook your wires and head unit and possibly where ever you mount it as they can run VERY hot in the summer. Be careful if you go that route.

ohm resistance has to do with the speaker design, not the head unit. You do want to make sure your head unit is compatible with the ohms of the speakers you are using, but honestly every modern head unit should fine with either 2 or 4 ohm speakers. Nearly all normal speakers that you would run off of a head unit are going to be between 2 and 4 ohms, so it's not really something to worry about unless you're looking at buying some weird speaker to run.

Most people don't bother with replacing wiring unless they're running some serious power 200watts+ from an amp. The stock speaker wiring is more than sufficient for any normal system. That said, I would install a dedicated ground wire for the head unit. The factory ground in the harness is not that great. And there's no need to mess with the fuses. I'm running a nine speaker system with two amps, head unit, EQ, all new wiring, and all my stock fuses are just fine.

As far as the amp, you want to match it's output (wattage and ohms) to the speakers it is powering. The amp never sends power or signal back into the head unit, so there's no need to worry about it damaging it. Any decent digital amp shouldn't get hot enough to damage anything around where it's mounted either.

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks for the clarifications MainFrame! It's been a while.
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49