Are spacers needed for new speakers?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Are spacers needed for new speakers? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I'm planning on buying some Polk Audio DB651 speakers (the DB651s for the front and the regular for the rear). ...

Are spacers needed for new speakers?

I'm planning on buying some Polk Audio DB651 speakers (the DB651s for the front and the regular for the rear). I'm seeing all sorts of stuff about custom 3/4" spacers for mounting. Will the included mounting bracket not work for an '08 WRX? I'm not an audiophile, just want better than stock stereo. How necessary is a spacer? Could I get away with a generic 1/2" spacer from amazon?

Also, I'm planning on using a baffle to protect the speakers. Any concerns using those?

Any help is appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    It depends on the depth of the speaker.. the safe answer is yes. If you want to know exactly how deep you will need to check the depth from the mounting location to the window glass against the depth of the speaker.

i wouldnt buy polk... just fyi, i bought polk and here in texas 6 months after having them all 4 speakers completely blown, and thats with a 125hz HPF so they were getting no bass at all, i would never buy them again, onlinecarstereo.com has infinity kappa perfects thatll fit, and they are the best thing ive ever heard and theyre affordable
    Dont buy cheap ebay knockoffs, thats disgraceful to the Subaru you drive, its not a rice rocket, and you're nota Ricer and it has the possibility to be broken more easily. - Roger

Quote Originally Posted by RogerSteadman View Post
    i wouldnt buy polk... just fyi, i bought polk and here in texas 6 months after having them all 4 speakers completely blown, and thats with a 125hz HPF so they were getting no bass at all, i would never buy them again, onlinecarstereo.com has infinity kappa perfects thatll fit, and they are the best thing ive ever heard and theyre affordable
    Great, I'll check those out. Did you need to use spacers with the Infinity's?

had to bro... the 02-03 models are made with 5 1/4'' holes in the front and 4'' in so you have to put spacers in the doors to make the speaker fit haha, i would get 1/2'' spacers and the 6 1/2'' speaker baffle to put behind it and i guarantee,

you do this and you will have the best sounding speakers you've ever heard, they have the best clarity i've ever heard.
    Dont buy cheap ebay knockoffs, thats disgraceful to the Subaru you drive, its not a rice rocket, and you're nota Ricer and it has the possibility to be broken more easily. - Roger

had to bro... the 02-03 models are made with 5 1/4'' holes in the front and 4'' in so you have to put spacers in the doors to make the speaker fit haha, i would get 1/2'' spacers and the 6 1/2'' speaker baffle to put behind it and i guarantee,

you do this and you will have the best sounding speakers you've ever heard, they have the best clarity i've ever heard.
    So stupid question, but does the baffle rest against the frame of the car, or against the spacer? In other words, does it go [speaker|spacer|baffle|door frame] or [speaker|baffle|spacer|door frame]?

I'm assuming it goes between the speaker and the spacer to protect the entire speaker? But that's just a guess.

it goes between the spacer and the door frame and it makes a seal so that the sound waves do not come out from the back, and are all forced forward, making the sound 1000x better and clearer

Hybrid Audio Imagine series components should outperform Kappa Perfects, for less money.

never heard of them, i have a soft spot for infinity, i've always had them never had a problem with them won competition trophy's for best sounding system with them, i love em, the only thing ill ever buy, i got conned into getting these polks by a guy i trusted on audio, and ill never touch those again. the Infinitys have a break in period of like a month, but after that, they are amazing and durable.

Hybrid Audio is a small company that is relatively new, but they make really high quality stuff. Their low end lineup (Imagine series) beats out other companies flagship components that cost twice as much.

That said, I can attest to the durability of Infinity speakers. I got Infinity Reference coax 6.5s for $40 shipped five years ago to hold me over while I saved up for good components. My amp tested at 139 watts RMS per channel and I have put those cheap Infinitys through hell and have no idea how they have not blown. I'm convinced they're the best sounding, most durable speaker you can get for under $100. I just bought another pair for my wife's Civic.

it goes between the spacer and the door frame and it makes a seal so that the sound waves do not come out from the back, and are all forced forward, making the sound 1000x better and clearer
    Good to know. I'll probably grab the slim baffles, then.

yea Robin, the infinities last for ever i had reference 6x9's that lasted through hurricanes and 4 wrecks, lol and still performed like champs, `also on top of all of that, the reference series as you said were not the best sounding speakers out there by far, but the kappas were a huge step up trust me, and the kappa perfects, are immaculate, they sound like studio speakers, and only get better if you put the baffles on them.

I Support ClubWRX
    You can do much better (SQ) than Infinity speakers for the same or less money. Check out Focal 165A1 - Focal Access 6.5" 2 Way Component Speakers or Morel Maximo 6 - Morel 6.5" 2-Way Component Speaker System. Both are sonically superior and about the same price. Go on line and do a search for Morel Tempo 6 components, I found mine for $230 shipped, retail is $499. Absolutely the best sounding speaker I've ever had.
    2015 WRX - Crystal Black Silca
    Cobb Axess Tuner -- Coming- BrenTuning ECU Solutions
    Pioneer NEX 4000, Alpine PDX 9V, JL Audio C5 650 front /rear components, JL Audio 10TW1-4: 10-inch Subwoofer, Axxess ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Control Adapter

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.