Considering new Head Unit, Anyone heard anything about the Parrot Asteroid Smart?

This is a discussion on Considering new Head Unit, Anyone heard anything about the Parrot Asteroid Smart? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I have been saving up for a new headunit ever since I purchased my WRX last June, and now that ...

Considering new Head Unit, Anyone heard anything about the Parrot Asteroid Smart?

I have been saving up for a new headunit ever since I purchased my WRX last June, and now that its finally that time to pull the trigger I am still having an issue deciding on one. I had been looking at the new Alpine INE-W927HD, and I was about to lock that in as my choice, but now the new Parrot Asteroid Smart has caught my eye. It has all the features I want and is almost half the price of the Alpine. I am wondering if anyone on here has one of these or has heard anything about either. I have only seen a handful of reviews online, but nothing that has completely won me over. I am slightly worried about integrating the Parrot unit with steering wheel controls (as it uses a custom connector called "Unika"). I am partial to 2013 stereos, as I want the newest/best that is available; just looking for opinions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well even with no replies and only a few reviews scattered online I pulled the trigger. I am still gathering the various items I need for the complete install, but I purchased the Parrot Asteroid Smart today. Next step is getting the UNIKA steering wheel adapter and a backup camera. When the install eventually happens I will post my thoughts on it.

I saw this HU after I just finished putting on my pioneer x5500. Now I love the idea of having an android head unit as I am a huge fan of it but for this head unit not being a common install in this car I would still choose the pioneer unit.

I really hope it works out and would love to see the finished product.

Good luck!
    Subaru WRX 2011 Spark Silver Metallic

It looks like a nice system but havent heard it nor is it clear how satellite radio works with it. Crutchfield just says "No". So I will just keep watching it and hope it catches on.
    Not as many parts left over this time... what am I missing?

I've bit the bullet last night and purchased the Asteroid Smart too.

Amazon reckons I should have it by April 2 but I'm not so sure given the upcoming holidays. I've been in contact with eliteelectronics.com.au and they've said this
    Unika Steering Wheel Control for Parrot MKi Range will work with the factory steering wheel controls.

I'm still looking for an iso wiring harness but haven't had any luck finding a definite match for my 2008 wrx.

mdkflip have you managed to find the correct accessories for your car? have you installed it yet? any updates?

Quote Originally Posted by wsmith187 View Post
    I've bit the bullet last night and purchased the Asteroid Smart too.

Amazon reckons I should have it by April 2 but I'm not so sure given the upcoming holidays. I've been in contact with eliteelectronics.com.au and they've said this
    Unika Steering Wheel Control for Parrot MKi Range will work with the factory steering wheel controls.

I'm still looking for an iso wiring harness but haven't had any luck finding a definite match for my 2008 wrx.

mdkflip have you managed to find the correct accessories for your car? have you installed it yet? any updates?

I have not installed it yet, but I just received the unit yesterday. I am still in the process of gathering everything I need for the install. I don't know if its worth your time looking for an ISO wiring harness though. Both Crutchfield and David over at Ae64.com suggest just cutting off the ISO connector and connecting the wires to the harness. I just purchased a harness (w/3 extra wires for steering wheel controls) from ae64.com. There is a wealth of information on that site and David can supply you with the harness you need. I am still waiting on the Unika and wire harness to arrive and then I need to pickup a backup camera as well (leaning towards Kenwood CMOS-210). At the very least I am going to hookup new AUX and USB in the center console and place the bluetooth mic and gps where they belong, but I may leave the actual wiring to a professional. I will make sure to post when I do install and I hope you do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by mdkflip View Post
    I have not installed it yet, but I just received the unit yesterday. I am still in the process of gathering everything I need for the install. I don't know if its worth your time looking for an ISO wiring harness though. Both Crutchfield and David over at Ae64.com suggest just cutting off the ISO connector and connecting the wires to the harness. I just purchased a harness (w/3 extra wires for steering wheel controls) from ae64.com. There is a wealth of information on that site and David can supply you with the harness you need. I am still waiting on the Unika and wire harness to arrive and then I need to pickup a backup camera as well (leaning towards Kenwood CMOS-210). At the very least I am going to hookup new AUX and USB in the center console and place the bluetooth mic and gps where they belong, but I may leave the actual wiring to a professional. I will make sure to post when I do install and I hope you do the same.
    Yeah i'll probably go ahead and do that, given the ISO harness is not readily available in Aus.

I'm hoping there aren't going to be any issues with the install given it's coming from the US but I doubt there will be.

I'll definitely shoot through a post once it arrives and let you know how it goes.

Hey guys, sorry to reopen this thread but I've been looking into getting the Smart and was wondering what extra parts I would need to buy for a clean install.

I understand that I need the UNIKA for the steering wheel controls but what about the ports underneath the armrest?

Is there anything else I would need to buy?

hey poovel, you could re-wire it so the auxillary input in the centre console remains functional, but in my opinion you're better off running your aux cord directly from the back of the unit to just underneath the climate control, the glovebox or to the drivers side. There's enough room to play with. other good thing about the smart is the ipod connection which you can just leave sitting in your glove box, and completely and easily control from the parrot screen. my first preference for sure. much safter than fiddling with your phone/ipod whilst driving.

so to answer your original question, if you install the parrot the port underneath your armrest will not be functional, unless you re-wire it (too much effort).

cheers

Well that's a little disappointing, I would much prefer to use the built in ports under the arm rest.

I have a droid which is why I wanted to have the active USB plug. Even if parrot doesn't recognize my phone I can still stream music via bluetooth, which I have no problem of doing, but I wanted to have the USB port to at least charge my phone. How difficult is it to rewire, and would a professional installer be willing to do it?

Quote Originally Posted by poovel View Post
    Well that's a little disappointing, I would much prefer to use the built in ports under the arm rest.

I have a droid which is why I wanted to have the active USB plug. Even if parrot doesn't recognize my phone I can still stream music via bluetooth, which I have no problem of doing, but I wanted to have the USB port to at least charge my phone. How difficult is it to rewire, and would a professional installer be willing to do it?
    You can definitely keep the stock location of the USB and Aux connections, as its what I did. You just have to be willing to do a little work. The easiest way is what I did; which involves routing new wires. Take a look at my post when I did my install. I bought a blank plate (Part # 86257FG110) which is a part from a forester. Then I drilled two holes in that plate that would fit the new connectors. After that you just route the wire past the shifter and up behind the stereo.

Here is the usb connector I used:

PAC Usbcbl 6' USB Cable with Mounting Bracket: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Here is the post of my install:

The ongoing install of my Parrot Asteroid Smart

Blah blah blah something about penguins CowboyD Eng6ine's Avatar
    Axxess AXSUBUSB Subaru USB Adaptor to Retain the OE USB in Select 2011+ Subaru Vehicles w/ Aftermarket Stereos

Try that for the USB port. Just plugs into the factory section that goes out to the USB port in the center console.
    Crazy is running towards what people are running from.