02 wrx headunit screech noise problem
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 02 wrx headunit screech noise problem within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; alright so here is my situation. going from the stock 02 headunit to a pioneer touch screen p2300dvd headunit. the ...

02 wrx headunit screech noise problem

alright so here is my situation. going from the stock 02 headunit to a pioneer touch screen p2300dvd headunit. the first time i wired it up i shorted it out, i believe because i had 1/3 grounds hooked up and it turned on when key was on ACC but then turned when turning key off then back on to try to make sure HU lit up again fuse blew and it didnt go on. At that time i only had the wiring harness ground connected. So went home, replaced the fus in engine bay 15A that controls the clock, radio, dome and map lights. Also when that fuse was blown it would reset my trip mileage back to 0 each time turned car off/on. So checked all my wires. Constant power wire to the harness has power, grounds work, ACC power works fine when turning key on. used a test light for all that. speaker wires are all wired up in the harness fine. have the one ground is the stock wiring harness, the other is a little black clip that goes on the headunit metal bracket that goes around the headunit itself, and the third goes through a screw against the metal headunit bracket. so radio works, radio plays. turns off and on with out blowing fuses butttt when on ACC and i have the radio on its fine, but when i turn the headlights on the radio turns off and a loud screeching steady noise comes thorugh the speaker. Sounds kinda like a door alarm like when your door isnt closed but its a continuous steady screeching. So if headlights are on radio stops playing, but doesnt turn off, still works just no sound, the screeching noise is head and then if u turn the dash illumination control all the way to dim the screeching stops but still doesnt play sound. I have not tried if it screeches when running but shouldnt make weird noises at all so i know somethings wrong. figured it had to do with the radio illumination light. checked all fuses and theyre fine....so just trying to figure out what this is..

recap
    -grounds and power wires are correct.
    -speaker wires correct
    -stock sub not connected ( no need to yet, want to make sure HU correctly works)
    -ACC power HU plays and normal
    -ACC power with headlights on, no music, makes a screeching sound.
    -ACC power with headlights on dimmer down to low, no music, no screeching sound.

so going back to recheck and everything and try to figure out where this little screeching gremlin is hiding.
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

that's really odd. you made sure to run the RCAs and the power cable for any amp you may have installed on opposite sides of the car, right?

yea the wires for the stock sub/amp are just speaker wires, ground and power. like the stock headunti has little Y wires so they can branch off. i didnt hook them up yet for the sub/amp but they are used as power/ground/speaker wires already on the harness
    Marky Mark
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363616884.413262.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	117.2 KB 
ID:	112680
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363616931.480305.jpg 
Size:	104.7 KB 
ID:	112681Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363616959.233646.jpg 
Size:	148.0 KB 
ID:	112682Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363616994.213413.jpg 
Size:	114.4 KB 
ID:	112683

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Marky Mark
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography

so the first and second pic are new HU wiring diagram. third is the stock pin and colors. the paper is just to make it easier instead of comparing back and forth
    Marky Mark
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography

wires for stock sub amp combo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Marky Mark
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography

^^^^^^i believe those wires wouldnt affect anything since theyre for my sub....or maybe on of those are for something different. ill hook them all up later and see if it changes. ran out of connectors thats why i didnt.
    Marky Mark
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography

welp figured it out. figured it was something to do with the illumination dimmer wires and it was. accidentally had the one speaker wire from the sub going into the illum lighting Y wire. same color with stripes. one had one stripe other had 2. sooo dont do electrical work that there needs to be attention to detail when youre very tired. sooo now tonight ill hook up the sub speaker wires, and get everything nice and secure in there..
    Marky Mark
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography

I Support ClubWRX
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.