Sub box

This is a discussion on Sub box within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; First post on the forums, I've been doing a lot of lurking though. I want to build a new box ...

Sub box

First post on the forums, I've been doing a lot of lurking though.
    I want to build a new box for my sub to better fit in my trunk. I have an 08 hatch. I'm just looking for ideas to maximize my trunk space while keeping the subwoofer as well. I've got a 15" kicker L7 in a massive box right now. Its a 3.3 cubic foot ported box that takes up my whole trunk. I made it to fit above the rear axle in my firebird

My first idea is to make a smaller non ported triangle shaped box that would fit right up against my back seat.

Second idea is to pull out the spare wheel and all that and make a fiberglass box to fit in the cavity. recess the face of the woofer so i could put a plug on top of the woofer if i wanted to load up the back. I'm leaning more towards this idea because of the practicality with the big woofer plus the unique factor of it too. The only thing is i have never dealt with fiberglass.

Any have pics of their box's or any cool ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    What space is needed for that sub? Considered going smaller sub?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363431612.906549.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	112630

I believe this is a 10 or 12 inch setup. My sub is a 12" and I plan to do this.
    Yellow lights mean go faster!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by twister8008
    I believe this is a 10 or 12 inch setup. My sub is a 12" and I plan to do this.
    AI makes a fantastic enclosure!
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Al?
    Yellow lights mean go faster!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by twister8008 View Post
    Al?
    Audio Integrations. Thats the pic you posted. It is a 10". I don't think a 12" would fit in that space.

Mine

T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

it needs a 13 3/4 x 13 3/4 cutout and the mounting depth is 8 3/4. Kicker recommends a sealed box of 1.5 cubes for the woofer.
    I did consider going to a smaller woofer but not sure on that yet. If i could have my way I would go with a DC 12" but I dont have the money for that at the moment. And if I went with a smaller cheaper woofer I would probably want to run 2. I had 2 kicker cvr 12"s before the L7 but sold them a while ago. I would possibly run those again, they are really cheap and sounded pretty good.
    Another option came to mind. Has anyone tried mounting any below the rear seats? even just to hide an amp? I've never really looked to see if there's any room.

I do like the AI design, its nice and out of the way. Is there any room to cut out the hole a little more to fit a 12?

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Audio Integrations. Thats the pic you posted. It is a 10". I don't think a 12" would fit in that space.

Mine

Can you still close the screen over the top of the box?

Just looked up a price on the AI box and ouch! That's quite a lot for a box. I do like the design though. I just need to work with fiberglass a little bit and maybe give that a go.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by scooby719 View Post
    Can you still close the screen over the top of the box?
    Yes, you can close the cargo cover & take out the spare tire too. There are some coupons available. I think the codes are on their youtube page.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.