Stock head unit question
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Stock head unit question within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Anyone running just an amp and sub from the basic stock head unit? not the touch screen head unit but ...

ZPV

Stock head unit question

Anyone running just an amp and sub from the basic stock head unit? not the touch screen head unit but the most basic one.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    It will sound much better than stock because you can turn all of the bass off from your door speakers. Won't sound as good as if you get a decent (you don't have to spend much) head unit. The output from an aftermarket unit will make your door speakers sound a whole lot better. I would recommend head unit, sub, and amp. Later on if you want further upgrade then go components in the front.

I just installed a new HU and the sound is night and day. I have a Sound Ordinance sub on order. With just the HU the sound is louder and much clearer with a range of tuning options.

I'm going to power the door speakers with the HU and the amp is built in powered. All I can afford to do right now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Small HU.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	112224

I Support ClubWRX
    As said, it will allow you to dial the bass away from the speakers, so they can focus only on the mids/highs (and will be a bit clearer). Also, if you get a 4- or 5-channel amp, you can amplify the stock front speakers and the sub (bridge channels 3+). Down the road, when you come time to install components, you'll already be set. Get something that's at least 75W RMS per channel. Don't go overboard with the sub; I only throw 250W at my JL 10W3, and it provides the perfect level of bass, where you get a kick in your seat when it hits, while isn't rattling too bad (considering I haven't done all the deadening I want to), and is barely audible outside the car (so I'm not being obnoxious).

The benefit of adding an aftermarket H/U is you can dial in the EQ settings to better suit the music you listen to, and for the car it's installed in. I bought a microphone that helps get a pretty good baseline EQ tune on the unit, and I usually dial it a bit from there with some of my music.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

ZPV
    I ended up getting speakers/tweeters (JL C2) in the front & a JL 10w3 in a ported box in the trunk with a JL XD700/5 amp running everything. I still have the stock head unit and stock back door speakers. I hooked up a bass knob to controll the subwoofer alone. It sounds really good, gets really loud and the bass is perfect for the car. Im going to add a kenwood double din dvd/nav system w/ back up camera & steering wheel controls & the JL C2's in the back doors next.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ZPV
    Im going to add a kenwood double din dvd/nav system w/ back up camera & steering wheel controls & the JL C2's in the back doors next.
    Skip getting rear speakers. Spend that money on proper sound deadening and audio tuning (if you're not familiar with it), instead.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

ZPV
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Skip getting rear speakers. Spend that money on proper sound deadening and audio tuning (if you're not familiar with it), instead.
    Yeah im thinking about deadening the trunk. You think JL C2 rear speakers would make any noticeable difference? & what do you mean by proper audio tuning?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.