Audio Noob help!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Audio Noob help! within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Hey guys, so I know very little (other than the basics) about car audio... I am looking to upgrade my ...

Audio Noob help!

Hey guys, so I know very little (other than the basics) about car audio... I am looking to upgrade my 2012 wrx, and need some help..

I am planning on buying:
    Pioneer AVH-X3500BHS - HU
    Kicker 11HS8 - Powered Sub

The thing I am mainly confused about, is the speakers. I am really only looking to upgrade the fronts, unless the rears should be too.. and i want to leave the tweeters alone unless i need to change them..
    I was looking at:
    Polk Audio db651
    Kicker DS60

Money is a limitation, and I dont want to spend a whole lot.
    If an alternate speaker system is way better for the price, I would love to know.

I listen to all kinds of music, but dont play it super loud.. My gf (always in my car) likes more dubstep/club music.

any other suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

anything at all?

I Support ClubWRX
    To be honest, the head unit will make your door speakers sound way better than they do stock. If it were me I would just install the head unit, and get a decent sub with a box and buy and amp for the sub. Just that will make a huge difference. Then later on you can always do the speakers if you want even more improvement. Good luck!

ˆ
    |

What he said

Quote Originally Posted by Chance1218 View Post
    Hey guys, so I know very little (other than the basics) about car audio... I am looking to upgrade my 2012 wrx, and need some help..

I am planning on buying:

The thing I am mainly confused about, is the speakers. I am really only looking to upgrade the fronts, unless the rears should be too.. and i want to leave the tweeters alone unless i need to change them..
    I was looking at:
    Polk Audio db651
    Kicker DS60

If an alternate speaker system is way better for the price, I would love to know.

I listen to all kinds of music, but dont play it super loud.. My gf (always in my car) likes more dubstep/club music.

You are going to WANT some sort of sound dampening (i.e. dynomat) because you will rattle like crazy. I just replaced my HU and that made a big difference and now when I turn up the volume the doors rattle... so next would be sound dampening and then a sub for me.

Check out some other threads and search on NASIOC
    For headunit you will need:

The HU
    Nissan wiring harness (or other)
    Steering wheel controls - I went with Axxess
    A new bezel surround or a plastic one to fill the gaps (metra)..

There was a thread that helped me greatly... but not sure if you are doing it yourself because I cant seem to find it
    2012 WRX Hatchback ISM - Base Model - STI STS, SPT Boost Gauge, AEM Intake, TP Stage 1 Tune, red illumination kit, cobb shift knob, 20% tint - currently on stock wheels wrapped in Pirelli Winter Carving Edge Tires
    Some cool tidbits to come...

Quote Originally Posted by Chance1218 View Post

I am planning on buying:

I was looking at:
    Polk Audio db651
    Kicker DS60

You are going to WANT some sort of sound dampening (i.e. dynomat) because you will rattle like crazy. I just replaced my HU and that made a big difference and now when I turn up the volume the doors rattle... so next would be sound dampening and then a sub for me.

Check out some other threads and search on NASIOC
    For headunit you will need:

The HU
    Nissan wiring harness (or other)
    Steering wheel controls - I went with Axxess
    A new bezel surround or a plastic one to fill the gaps (metra)..

There was a thread that helped me greatly... but not sure if you are doing it yourself because I cant seem to find it
    2012 WRX Hatchback ISM - Base Model - STI STS, SPT Boost Gauge, AEM Intake, TP Stage 1 Tune, red illumination kit, cobb shift knob, 20% tint - currently on stock wheels wrapped in Pirelli Winter Carving Edge Tires
    Some cool tidbits to come...

Like the others say, head unit will make the biggest difference. The stocker is complete underpowered. Adding a powered sub will add a nice dimension to the sound as well.

If you do go for new speakers, I'd consider amping them simply so you don't waste their potential. But if you do only go for fronts or rears, the fronts are the ones to replace. Rears are mostly filler coming from behind anyway. I would NOT skip out on tweeters since they provide the highs, which is arguably the most refined portion of music you listen to.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    The sub you're referring to...the Subaru one? If so pass, as there are far better options, like the Infinity Basslink II. Although, a separate sub and amp would be ideal, especially if you plan to do speakers down the line.

Replacement of just the fronts is good. Rear replacement can mess with your staging. I strongly urge you to go with components, though, and not use the factory tweeter location. Install the tweeters in the kick panels or the A-Pillar. The nice thing about this is you can buy a single 4- or 5-channel amp and bridge the 3/4/5 channels to power the sub while using 1/2 to power your components.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.