Audio system info
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Audio system info within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Hey guys, waiting on my car to be built and was going to do a little brain storming and pre ...

Blah blah blah something about penguins CowboyD Eng6ine's Avatar

Audio system info

Hey guys, waiting on my car to be built and was going to do a little brain storming and pre planning. One thing that I could not find out on the car was how many watts the stock audio system was. I am also curious as to how it sounds, if it is ok or if it sucks. Curious to what changes would be recommended as I have never really messed with car audio before so ill be pretty new to it and don't know what would be best to get for it.

Some help and guidance would be awesome

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    "How it sounds" is too subjective. Go to a dealership and take a listen yourself

My recommendation for audio upgrades is always three stages:
    1) Headunit
    2) Headunit / Sub
    3) Headunit / Sub / Front Components
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

The "watts" are really a rather useless figure. a 50 watt system going to 4 ohm speakers rated at 98db 1w/mtr will be much louder then a 200 watt system playing into 87db 1w/mtr speakers.

But to answer... The stock head unit is pretty cheap. I find it sounds decent with an iPod or CD, but the radio is pretty bad. It will not be loud enough to listen to with the windows open on the highway.

First step is to replace the head unit, that makes a big difference. Then as stated above, a small sub and upgrade front speakers and your pretty much all set for a good basic system.

Blah blah blah something about penguins CowboyD Eng6ine's Avatar
    Ok cool. What should I get for a head unit?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyD Eng6ine View Post
    Depends what you're looking for. The three most common options are Pioneer, Alpine, and Kenwood.

If sound quality is your main concern, I usually advise Alpine. If navigation is your main concern, I usually recommend Kenwood. For a jack-of-all-trades, Pioneer.

The key thing is to make sure the unit is intuitive to you; hit up a local car audio store and play with the units they have on display.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

ok so i want to upgrade my speakers as i have upgraded my headunit to a Fusion head unit and a kenwood 1100w sub connected to a 600w kenwood amp. everywhere i go to find out what size speakers an 02 wrx takes says 6 1/2 so i went and picked up 2 6 1/2 alpine speakers for the front. they dont fit. they are 2 deep and would make it so my windows dont roll all the way down. does anyone know what size speakers front and rear take? and how deep they need to be?

Audio system info

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyD Eng6ine View Post
    I picked up the JVC 6.1" touchscreen for my '11 wrx and it's awesome. The only thing you have take into consideration is that once you upgrade the H/U is some of your components may be useless. My H/U came with its own aux and USB so the stock ones are useless. The steering wheel buttons don't work but you can look into a wire harness on amazon for $40 to make those buttons on amazon to make them functional. Something to look into. I also got a 10" kicker sub to enhance the sound. Couldn't be happier. The H/U does everything from Bluetooth audio/phone use but you have to access that on the unit. The aftermarket microphone doesn't work as well as the stock so I talk on my phone instead. But good luck in your shopping. Hope it works put for you!

I just bought a JVC 6.1 Touchscreen DVD as well.... it should be waiting for me when I get home!

I got the HU, the Axxess steering wheel controller, a nissan harness... and a JVC ipod cable so I can have nav from my iphone displayed on the HU...

I plan on doing a build thread with pictures soon!
    2012 WRX Hatchback ISM - Base Model - STI STS, SPT Boost Gauge, AEM Intake, TP Stage 1 Tune, red illumination kit, cobb shift knob, 20% tint - currently on stock wheels wrapped in Pirelli Winter Carving Edge Tires
    Some cool tidbits to come...

Audio system info

Quote Originally Posted by mgmoehn View Post
    I just bought a JVC 6.1 Touchscreen DVD as well.... it should be waiting for me when I get home!

I got the HU, the Axxess steering wheel controller, a nissan harness... and a JVC ipod cable so I can have nav from my iphone displayed on the HU...

I plan on doing a build thread with pictures soon!
    Yea I was thinking of getting the axxess harness as well. Was also gonna call the guy that installed it and see if there is anything I could do to upgrade the microphone to the H/U cause this one is terrible. Everyone says I sound far away it like I'm in a tunnel. Hope to get that fixed and let everyone know if there is something better to do.

Yeah I will probably play around with the placement of the mic and report back as well. There might be a gain setting for the mic that would turn it up to hear you better?

Not - sure ... but either way the stock BT is still not the greatest either
    2012 WRX Hatchback ISM - Base Model - STI STS, SPT Boost Gauge, AEM Intake, TP Stage 1 Tune, red illumination kit, cobb shift knob, 20% tint - currently on stock wheels wrapped in Pirelli Winter Carving Edge Tires

Audio system info

Yeah I will probably play around with the placement of the mic and report back as well. There might be a gain setting for the mic that would turn it up to hear you better?

No, not the greatest but I didn't get complaints like this. It had a mic volume setting but only goes up to 3 and that's still not enpugh

Audio system info

No, not the greatest but I didn't get complaints like this. It had a mic volume setting but only goes up to 3 and that's still not enough

Audio system info

Please don't dodge the swear filter
    Last edited by EJ257; 02-05-2013 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SoFloRex View Post
    Please don't dodge the swear filter

What ?

Audio system info

What ?
    It's a message from the forums cause I found a different way to spell the "F" word... I was cursing tapatalk cause it made me post the same thread twice

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast