Upgrading 2010 WRX Sound System...Desperately In Need Of Help lol

This is a discussion on Upgrading 2010 WRX Sound System...Desperately In Need Of Help lol within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Hey guys, So like the title says im looking to revamp my sucky stock sound system in my base 2010 ...

Upgrading 2010 WRX Sound System...Desperately In Need Of Help lol

Hey guys,

So like the title says im looking to revamp my sucky stock sound system in my base 2010 WRX. Im looking to get a pair of component speakers for the front, but after that is where im lost. Ive been reading online but i cant really get a clear cut answer as to what i need to get to make a really nice full range music experience. Like, do i need a new head unit (how much power should it put out), do i need to buy an amp (how many channels on the amp), some of the nitty gritty. Im hoping someone with some experience with this upgrade can guide me. Oh and im looking to stay around a $700 budget for the project if that helps.

Thanks a lot guys i really appreciate it!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Roscioli21 View Post
    Hey guys,

So like the title says im looking to revamp my sucky stock sound system in my base 2010 WRX. Im looking to get a pair of component speakers for the front, but after that is where im lost. Ive been reading online but i cant really get a clear cut answer as to what i need to get to make a really nice full range music experience. Like, do i need a new head unit (how much power should it put out), do i need to buy an amp (how many channels on the amp), some of the nitty gritty. Im hoping someone with some experience with this upgrade can guide me. Oh and im looking to stay around a $700 budget for the project if that helps.

Thanks a lot guys i really appreciate it!
    I would recommend getting a new head unit (I like Alpine but that is just personal preference), and maybe a 10 inch sub with an amp (mono channel dedicated to the sub). See how it sounds after that. With the output of an aftermarket head unit, your stock speakers will sound much better, and then you can turn the bass completely off to those having a sub. If you do the work yourself keeping it under $700 would be very feasable, but with the wiring/box/harness it probably would be bumping up on your budget. If you pay a shop to do it, labor is outrageous.

ahh i gotcha. I have a buddy who's an electrician so hopefully he can use some of his knowledge to help me out but thats good to know

I Support ClubWRX
    My recommendation for upgrading car audio is the following:
    1) H/U
    2) H/U + Sub
    3) H/U + Front Components + Sub

Depending on your selection of parts, you can do Option 3 with a 4- or 5-channel amp that supply proper power for the front speakers, and bridge the remaining 2-3 channels for the sub. You only need one amp wiring kit, this way. Rear speakers are powered off the H/U in this config.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    1) H/U
    2) H/U + Sub

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    1) H/U
    2) H/U + Sub

Depending on your selection of parts, you can do Option 3 with a 4- or 5-channel amp that supply proper power for the front speakers, and bridge the remaining 2-3 channels for the sub. You only need one amp wiring kit, this way. Rear speakers are powered off the H/U in this config.
    This. I am looking to do some sound deadening in the doors and hatch area as well.

Before you make the mistake of ordering the generic harness, I'd check out ae64.com. If you order the correct harness, it is completely plug and play with no splicing in the factory harness - aside from the reverse wire if you choose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro