2003 WRX - Front Component Speakers
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2003 WRX - Front Component Speakers within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Hey guys, Looking for some good quality front speakers for my 2003 WRX. (I have Infinity Speakers in the back). ...

2003 WRX - Front Component Speakers

Hey guys,

Looking for some good quality front speakers for my 2003 WRX. (I have Infinity Speakers in the back).
    (I listen to Metal, Jazz, Alternative rock).

I am hoping I can finalize and purchase soon. Price is open.

thanks!

-Art

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Why not get Infinity in the front to match then?

There are so many out there now days its hard to choose. It really comes down to price point. If you're an Audiophile, then go for Focals or MB Quarts or JLs or something. Otherwise, Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood, and known brands like that should be fine.

Biggest question though, are you amping them? If so, with what? And the biggest bigger question...do you have an aftermarket head unit?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Good question. So price is not a problem. I just want something that sounds good.

This is my setup:

AMP:
    Alpine MRP-F300 4-Channel 300 Watts Amplifier
    Amazon.com: Alpine MRP-F300 4-Channel 300 Watts Amplifier: Electronics

Stereo:
    CLARION CX609
    Amazon.com: Clarion CX609 2-DIN CD/MP3/WMA/AAC Receiver with USB Port: Car Electronics

Rear Speakers:
    Infinity Kappa 42.9i 4" 2 Way Speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Why not get Infinity in the front to match then?

There are so many out there now days its hard to choose. It really comes down to price point. If you're an Audiophile, then go for Focals or MB Quarts or JLs or something. Otherwise, Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood, and known brands like that should be fine.

Biggest question though, are you amping them? If so, with what? And the biggest bigger question...do you have an aftermarket head unit?

Nice. not bad at all.

May as well keep Kappa's and amp them up with your 4-channel amp. I've had plenty of Kappas before in a couple cars and they do sound excellent.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    Taste in speakers, like exhausts, is subjective. Therefore, advice over the Internet needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Your best bet would be to bring a CD of as broad a spectrum of your music to your local car audio stores and listen to what they have on display; see which set(s) fit your ears.

That said, there are a lot of great options out there. I run Alpine Type-X speakers in my car (they sounded decent and I got them for a steal). The JL Audio C2-650s are pretty nice, although some believe you're paying a premium for the name (and aren't willing to do that). Another really popular option is the Image Dynamics CTX65s; I was unable to find any of these in a local store to listen to, which is what kept me from buying them, but have since heard them, and like them. If/when my Type-Xs crap out, I'll be going with them.

Let's face it...a car is not really a proper staging area, and Subarus are notorious for being relatively noisy. While you say budget isn't a concern, I wouldn't drop too much money into speakers, because you'll start to get to a point of diminishing returns (IMO) once you get above say say $250-300 MSRP. I think your money would be better spent looking at other things to improve sound quality, at that point.

Depending on what setup you choose, your 75x4 amp may not be enough if you're using it to power the rear speakers. If this is the case, I'd suggest picking up a higher-powered amp, or running the rear speakers off the H/U (and bridging your 4-ch into a 150x2). You will likely need to buy/make spacers, as any of the aftermarket speakers (not advertised as shallow-mount, and even then you may still need them) will be too deep to bolt into the door.

If buying speakers online, make sure the vendor is an authorized reseller, or else the warranty will not apply. A site I've found to be authorized by many big names and have pretty competitive pricing (including vs the unauthorized resellers) is Al & Eds Autosound:
    Al & Ed's Autosound - Car Audio Systems including Car Speakers, Subwoofers, Amps, HD Radio, Satellite Radio, GPS Navigation Systems, Car Alarm and more Car Stereo Equipment at Al & Ed's Autosound

Two other things to look into when installing speakers:
    1) Tweeter placement
    2) Sound deadening

The factory tweeter location (near the door handle) is not ideal. For better staging, consider placing them in either the A-Pillar or the kick panels. I went the kick panel route, because I'm prepping for A-Pillar gauges in addition to my clock pod.

Sound deadening is a great way to clean things up. Rick from RAAMaudio did a writeup on Nasioc for the STI, but it will apply pretty well to a bugeye sedan (wagons will require a little bit more):
    STI sound deadening, new tutorial - NASIOC

Are you opposed to running a subwoofer, at all? By adding a subwoofer, you can allow the speakers to focus on the mids/highs (where they shine), while the sub takes care of the lows. You don't have to go extreme with the sub, a good 8/10" sub powered by 200-300W is more than enough if you're not looking to make everyone hear how banging your new system is. I really like the JL Audio W3 line; I run a 10W3 powered at 250W in a ~1 ft^3 enclosure, and it's enough that it'll kick you in the back of the seat, while remaining barely (if at all) audible outside the car.
    Last edited by EJ257; 01-09-2013 at 04:23 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Check out Hybrid Audio's selection. Even the cheapest Imagine series componets sound pretty dang good.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.