Good Sound/Bass Without Subwoofer?

This is a discussion on Good Sound/Bass Without Subwoofer? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Hello all, I just recently purchased a 2013 WRX Limited 5-Door. I'm interested in doing some upgrades to the audio ...

Hello all,

I just recently purchased a 2013 WRX Limited 5-Door. I'm interested in doing some upgrades to the audio system. I don't want to sacrifice any trunk space. Are there speakers that are capable of producing pretty good bass that can replace the stock speakers? I'm planning on getting the JVC KW-NT800HDT for my head unit.

I have the WeatherTech DigiFit Floor Mats. I don't think an under the seat sub will fit without drilling through the floor mats. That is also an option that I would like to avoid.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    You could always get a good set of component speakers for the front doors. Hybrid Audio Legatia series (6.5") in the doors with a good install (lots of dampening material) and a good amp driving them should produce a decent amount of bass. And you could always put small woofers in the rear doors it that's not enough.

I Support ClubWRX
    Consider a spare tire enclosure. A buddy of mine made one for an 8" sub that didn't sacrifice trunk space. Alternatively, look at the Audio Integrations enclosure, which has minimal impact on space.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

nothing wrong with getting a little sub, and good components...

this would keep the sub out of the way...
    SIH1008 08-2011 Subaru WRX / STI Hatch 10 Inch Perfect Fit

Nothing will give that good bass feel to your music like a subwoofer. I listen mainly to jazz, so deep bass isn't a big concern. Only you can decide what your priority is. I had the stock speakers replaced with Infinity speakers. A sub would still make it sound better.

no matter what, having a head unit with a full frequency range 4 good speakers components in the front full range in the rear, that have a huge range of frequency, like 5 hz to 25khz will allow you to hear every aspect of the sound spectrum range, and on top of that a good sub, and a 800 watt amp, all of this mixed in with high and low pass filters from the head unit will be great, you will hear everything i promise. the high pass thats optimum filter will only let any frequency above 125hz through to your speakers so it will make your speakers last pretty much forever. and a good low pass filter for your sub woofer that is 125hz and below only allowed to pass to it, will ensure that no sound overlaps or makes your speakers shudder and you will lose no sound quality. guarenteed...

i have won trophys with good sound systems, and it was for sound quality not volume, i dont ground pound, im just a professional musician that enjoys hearing the full sound of my music.

I Support ClubWRX
    i have an audio integrations box in my car, keeps the sub out of the way but provides plenty of bass
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0008.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	110593
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Quote Originally Posted by RogerSteadman View Post
    no matter what, having a head unit with a full frequency range 4 good speakers components in the front full range in the rear, that have a huge range of frequency, like 5 hz to 25khz will allow you to hear every aspect of the sound spectrum range, and on top of that a good sub, and a 800 watt amp, all of this mixed in with high and low pass filters from the head unit will be great, you will hear everything i promise. the high pass thats optimum filter will only let any frequency above 125hz through to your speakers so it will make your speakers last pretty much forever. and a good low pass filter for your sub woofer that is 125hz and below only allowed to pass to it, will ensure that no sound overlaps or makes your speakers shudder and you will lose no sound quality. guarenteed...

i have won trophys with good sound systems, and it was for sound quality not volume, i dont ground pound, im just a professional musician that enjoys hearing the full sound of my music.
    Any recommendations on HU and speakers?

Quote Originally Posted by RogerSteadman View Post
    nothing wrong with getting a little sub, and good components...

this would keep the sub out of the way...
    SIH1008 08-2011 Subaru WRX / STI Hatch 10 Inch Perfect Fit
    did i read that right?! THREE HUNDRED AND THIRTY dollars for an enclosure!?!?!

and to answer the above question, right now i have the newest pioneer AVIC model dual din, and i have and really like btw (great sound quality) are the high end Polk audio components in the fron, and if your going for the stock 4 inch speakers in the back like i did, any will do, but i got the pioneer ones and am very happy with it, and i have a sony XPLOD 12'' sub in back ran by a 1000 watt amp

yes you did, but the reason its expensive is that you can still easily remove your spare tire without hitting the sub at all, and it mounts solidly to the wall and floorboard of the hatch, i cant afford it, but for what it is, i say its worth it if you save or can afford it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobert007
    Any recommendations on HU and speakers?
    Speakers are a personal decision, much like an exhaust. What sounds good to you may not sound good to someone else. Best bet is to hit up local car audio stores and bring a sample of your music with you. If you can attend a local car meet, that's even better (I've done stereo comparisons in parking lots with other members before). Invest all your money up front; skip rear speakers. Rears will mess with staging so either pull them or leave them stock, IMO.

While you're experimenting with speakers, play with the H/Us they have as well. Pick one that's intuitive for you. You like the menus on. You like the features of. I'm mostly familiar with double-din units, and there are pretty much three big ones: Alpine, Pioneer, and Kenwood. If navigation is your main concern, Kenwood uses the Garmin interface, and I've found that to be the best navigation units. For audio quality, Alpine. For a good jack of all trades unit, look at the Pioneer. Their AVH-P4400DVD is EOL pricing right now and you can pick it up for $350 off Amazon; doesn't have navigation, but I use my phone for that, and it's a great unit for the price (I have two models older, AVH-P4200DVD, that I picked up @ EOL price).
    Last edited by EJ257; 12-27-2012 at 02:14 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EndlessSea View Post
    did i read that right?! THREE HUNDRED AND THIRTY dollars for an enclosure!?!?!
    yeah they are pricey
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Im installing a powered sub that I got from crutchfield and an amp to power my components in under the driver and passenger side front seats. Im hoping to be working on this tomorrow. It is a 8 inch powered sub not to wide of an encloser. You want loose any trunk space or floor space with it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackwrx View Post
    i have an audio integrations box in my car, keeps the sub out of the way but provides plenty of bass
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0008.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	110593
    Wow I like that a lot. I've always had upgraded stereos in my cars until I got the sti. Mostly because I didn't want to compromise trunk space. That looks to be the perfect solution!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Wow I like that a lot. I've always had upgraded stereos in my cars until I got the sti. Mostly because I didn't want to compromise trunk space. That looks to be the perfect solution!
    i love this setup. i plan on moving the amp under the carpet soon to get it out of the way. its great fitment as well
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ