stock stereo plus - feedback
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on stock stereo plus - feedback within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I was going to have a kicker under seat sub installed, and I was advised against it (by a couple ...

I Support ClubWRX

stock stereo plus - feedback

I was going to have a kicker under seat sub installed, and I was advised against it (by a couple people here) and the guy at the shop who was going to install it.

He suggested getting an Audison SR5 (5 channel) , using stock speakers and adding a sealed sub box in the trunk.

There are essentially no reviews on the amp online! The specs look good ... 50wx4 + 185wx1 with a built in processor that will supposedly clean up and enhance the existing HU output.

He seems confident that I will be very happy. But he's also hoping to sell me a 600$ amp and 150$ sub box, which is going to put me 500$ above where I was going to be with the kicker under seat +install.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The stock HU needs replaced, not amplified. It's music reproduction clarity is very sub par. An amp will only let this be made more apparent. Replace your stock speakers with quality speakers, also. Many aftermarket radios don't need an aftermarket amp unless your really like your music loud. A good subwoofer will enhance the bass feel, but I would prioritize as speakers first, HU second, amp third, subwoofer fourth, only if the HU isn't amplified enough.

I Support ClubWRX
    I still have the stock Head unit. But I have it hooked up to an amp & sub woofer through a JBL MS-8 sound processor. The sound is better than anything out of an aftermarket HU.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    I still have the stock Head unit. But I have it hooked up to an amp & sub woofer through a JBL MS-8 sound processor. The sound is better than anything out of an aftermarket HU.
    ^ ^this

you dont NEED an aftermarket head unit to get really good sound. you can use the stock one with a JBL sound processor and it will sound as good or better than any AM head unit. this is the route im taking as well.

IMO the stock head unit and speakers aren't THAT bad. Everyone complains about them so much and I get it, they aren't great but are definitely manageable. I had upgraded speakers and an AVIC-D3 in my 05 WRX and while it sounded great, the difference wasn't necessarily good enough to go spending $1,000+.
    2013 SWP WRX 5-Door
    2005 OBP WRX 4-Door SOLD

The problem with the factory hu isn't the signal quality, its the power output that's lacking. The factory speakers aren't that bad either.. pull em out of there and you'll find poly cones and rubber surrounds.

If the factory HU has all the features you want.. then keep it! Going with a sound processor and external amp will likely be more cost effective and sound better in the long run.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.