Keep or replace HU on 13' WRX

This is a discussion on Keep or replace HU on 13' WRX within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I just picked up my 13' WRX Limited Hatch and I had about an hour ride home. Love the car ...

Keep or replace HU on 13' WRX

I just picked up my 13' WRX Limited Hatch and I had about an hour ride home. Love the car but not impressed with the stock stereo. I will be in this car a lot and want to have decent sound quality. My 06 wrx wagon that i just sold has factory sub and alpine cd/DVD head unit. Sounds 10x better than the new car.

I have seen the threads on how to crack the stock HU and change the EQ but I am afraid it's not going to cut it.

If I do upgrade I want to keep it a double din HU that looks factory if possible. I would like to have it bluetooth compatible for my phone so I can use the stock mic system in the car. I don't need DVD or nav so just a good cd/mp3 player with USB for iPod/phone would be nice.I do plan on an under seat sub in the future.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Anyone?

I Support ClubWRX

Re: Keep or replace HU on 13' WRX

Read around a bit. You'll find a plethora of information on it. Gets old repeating it. I think I have recommended ae64.com at least four times this past month alone.

I'd swap out the head unit if audio quality is up there in your priorities.

As far as specific head unit suggestions, you are kinda on your own there. I am partial to pioneer and alpine. Judging off what you want, you could probably find a cheap used pioneer with exactly your desired feature set (BT series I believe). I am not familiar with Kenwood, jvc, or Clarion, but you would probably have luck with them as well. Expect to pay more for the alpine. I think it took them a while to switch to double DIN displays. Last I checked, you pay per feature pretty much with them by using various add on modules.

Sound quality wise, I can't personally give an opinion on newer alpines, but I would expect good results. Pioneer will probably be next in line depending on model. All others will be comparable. When in doubt, it seems to be the trend to make pre-out voltage proportional to sound quality of the unit.
    Last edited by Heide264; 12-22-2012 at 01:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I will say that replacing the HU for a Pioneer AVIC-940BT as well as installing a Sound Ordnance underseat sub made a night and day difference in terms of sound quality. The Pioneer really woke up the stock speakers (15W RMS per channel, versus the stock 4W), and the sub gave it that much needed bass boost. I'm very happy. Probably the best way to improve the sound system in these cars short of going with a external amplifier.

If you don't want NAV, pioneer has plenty of touchscreen double-din options that you may like. I really liked the 940BT because it does have a factory navigation look to it.

Definitely replace the stock radio. I had the stock speakers replaced with Infinity speakers first. It was better, but still not good. I then had the HU replaced with a pioneer cd/radio. The sound clarity was night and day different.

I Support ClubWRX
    I would suggest , a Pioneer AVH4400BH DVD reciever. This reciever has 6- 4 Volt preamp outputs. This is very important for audio quality if you are going to incorporate a 4 or 5 channel amp.
    2015 WRX - Crystal Black Silca
    Cobb Axess Tuner -- Coming- BrenTuning ECU Solutions
    Pioneer NEX 4000, Alpine PDX 9V, JL Audio C5 650 front /rear components, JL Audio 10TW1-4: 10-inch Subwoofer, Axxess ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Control Adapter