Subaru WRX Forum banner

Wrx stock radio

9K views 31 replies 18 participants last post by  DemonWRX 
#1 ·
I have a 2013 WRX with the stock Clarion sourced radio. I had this unit replaced with a single DIN Pioneer DEH-P8400BH. The sound quality difference is amazing. I had previously replaced the stock door speakers with Infinity speakers. The sound quality was better, but still not good. Subaru needs to put a quality radio in their car from the factory. For those who like their music, replace the stock radio. You won't be sorry.

#4 ·
That has not been my experience. Even the HU in my G35c was pretty much junk to my ear.
Making a car with poor audio sound better is pretty trivial, in the grand scheme of things. Making a non-enthusiast car into an enthusiast car is often a much bigger deal.

#5 ·
I think most of you have ultra sensitive hearing, or perhaps mine is seriously deteriorating (I listened to way too much loud music as a teen and in my early twenties) In fact every car/ truck I owned from about 16-24 had a serious sound system in it. That said I have a base '13 WRX, my only options are the STi black shift knob, trunk tray and arm-rest with rear cup holder. Anyway I find the stock sound decent enough but I'm no longer an audiophile.

In fact you guys won't believe me but the stock setup in my '13 WRX is better to my ears than the Harman Kardon unit in my wife's '11 Outback that we paid $1100 extra for lol.

#8 ·
I'll readily admit to being a little bit of an audio snob...though I'm too cheap to go completely audiophile. I grew up in a family of musicians, and I think it raised the bar for me when it comes to this kind of thing.

#9 ·
sound systems are for slow cars. or for someone who does not fully enjoy driving.. :shakehead: lol
but in my opinion unless you are really going to invest in a serious system its a waste of money that you could put into the engine. I have speakers that play my music between the times I dont just listen to that Boxer engine run :thumbup:

#11 ·
The stock stereo is more than sufficient for me but I'm not an audio nut/audiophile/whatever else you want to call it. I have had better stock sound systems in other vehicles I've owned but I'd rather put money into performance gains vice audio gains right now. Maybe one day, after I go rotated and beef up the engine, I'll do something with the stereo system....but I doubt it.

#12 ·
I held off on the audio for a while. My system in my 11 STi wasn't the best. Having it on aux in was pretty good actually.

Was pretty short on both highs and lows... But yet so is just about any factory system it seems (bose... Looking at you!).
Comes down to priorities. Once you get your car closer to where you want it in one area, you start to look towards others. I don't really have motivation to do a fuel system upgrade or a turbo swap going into winter.. But a head unit and sub is a nice addition.

#17 ·
I can't speak for the newer models, but my 2002's had crappy front speakers. An Alpine HU, Infinity fronts and a much better sub brought my audio to life. No point going much beyond that, given the amount of road noise that permeates the car.

Yeah, boxer sound is great and all...but not enough to entertain me going down the highway. At least not after a decade of WRX ownership.

#20 ·
Has anyone here just replaced you're oem speakers? Leaving the oem head unit. As an example my '11 Ford F150 came with the worst stock speakers I've ever heard. I replaced all four 6x7 door speakers with Alpines and improved the sound by at least 50% it doesn't sound like a $4K system, but it does sound like it should have when it left the factory.

Was wondering if I could at the bare min do the same with my WRX.

#22 ·
yeah, there are a few of us. I have the stock 2011 navi unit, and replaced all 4 doors with Memphis Car Audio speakers. improves the quality quite a bit. Next will be a JBL MS-8 sound processor, amp and sub.

#21 ·
I have a life long appreciation of music and play my Gretsch Brooklyn drum set almost daily. Quality music reproduction is important to me. High performance is also a priority. For me, ultimate performance takes a back seat. I have had better performing cars than my 2013 WRX. At this point in my life, I'm looking for balance. Do that which makes you most happy with your car.

#24 ·
It also depends on which unit you have....each model year has at least 2 head units. The 2011 Navi is made by Kenwood. It is not great, but not too bad either. The non-Navi is completely different, and each year they change.

If I could find an aftermarket unit that I like, with fast reaction time on the touch screen, that would look right in the cabin.....and all that for under $800, I would get it. Sadly, I have not found such a unit. I can't justify spending over $1300 on a head unit when about 60% of the time I am listening to the rumble.

#25 ·
Before I got my 08 WRX, I had a pioneer deck with a kenwood sub, and it sounded pretty decent.
When I got my 08, I thought it sounded like crap...untill I changed the settings. -2 Mid, Bass +5-7 (Depends on song), Treble +2. Sounds fine to me (it's also a premium, which I'm told has a slightly upgraded sys). No cracking or distortion (Unless my bass is too high for the song). I agree with lashak on the fund alocation though. Audio will be the absolute last thing that I do, not because I don't love music, but because I want MOAR POWERS. PS. Audio is reallly expensive and complex.

#28 ·
I'm trying to look into keeping the stock headunit in my '13 and just upgrade the speakers with an amp and also just one 10" sub to handle the lows. All I need is what is already integrated into the headunit (beside's navi, which I get from my phone and could probably stream over bluetooth).

All of my songs are uncompressed wav files coming from the iPod. It is extremely sad when I switch to the FM side of the radio and can't hear a thing haha.

#31 ·
I'm trying to look into keeping the stock headunit in my '13 and just upgrade the speakers with an amp and also just one 10" sub to handle the lows. All I need is what is already integrated into the headunit (beside's navi, which I get from my phone and could probably stream over bluetooth).

All of my songs are uncompressed wav files coming from the iPod. It is extremely sad when I switch to the FM side of the radio and can't hear a thing haha.
look into a digital sound processor / line out converter and amp.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

#29 ·
My last car (Volvo SoR) had a really nice stock sound system. The HU was not upgradable without a bunch of hassle so i didnt care... it sounded nice and had good bass. It had 2 small subs in front door mounted with 2 small speakers that pointed up and towards the center of the cabin...2 tweeters up front, a center speaker, 2 small sub speakers in the rear doors, and 2 larger speakers on the back deck...

My car before that one had upgraded speakers, tweeters,JVC HU, 2 10" subs in the trunk... and it couldn't be heard as loud and obnoxious from the outside of the car... it was the perfect amount of bass...

I love music... I love listening to good music... I also love listening to my CAI and hopefulyl down the road exhaust! At this stage I am ready for a stereo upgrade because I am missing that part on my daily commute. This is my daily driver so adding things to improve the sound doesnt bother me one bit.

I plan on doing the HU this week or very soon...
Then if I dont like that it wil lbe this as follows:
1. Add sound material
2. Add sub
3. Upgrade speakers and add AMP for speakers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.