Wrx stock radio - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Wrx stock radio within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Are the speakers decent enough to handle an upgraded HU, or are they POS's as well? I already bought a ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Are the speakers decent enough to handle an upgraded HU, or are they POS's as well? I already bought a kicker under seat sub that'll go in as soon as I pick up the car next week.

I am definitely an audiophile ... hoping it's not too bad!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I can't speak for the newer models, but my 2002's had crappy front speakers. An Alpine HU, Infinity fronts and a much better sub brought my audio to life. No point going much beyond that, given the amount of road noise that permeates the car.

Yeah, boxer sound is great and all...but not enough to entertain me going down the highway. At least not after a decade of WRX ownership.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank_VA View Post
    Are the speakers decent enough to handle an upgraded HU, or are they POS's as well? I already bought a kicker under seat sub that'll go in as soon as I pick up the car next week.

I am definitely an audiophile ... hoping it's not too bad!
    If you are OK with Kicker, the stock isn't that bad. Kicker is crap.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX View Post
    If you are OK with Kicker, the stock isn't that bad. Kicker is crap.
    Guess I will be finding out.

Has anyone here just replaced you're oem speakers? Leaving the oem head unit. As an example my '11 Ford F150 came with the worst stock speakers I've ever heard. I replaced all four 6x7 door speakers with Alpines and improved the sound by at least 50% it doesn't sound like a $4K system, but it does sound like it should have when it left the factory.

Was wondering if I could at the bare min do the same with my WRX.
    Current vehicles:

2013 WRX Sedan, Base, SWP, Wingless
    2011 Outback, Premium, 2.5i, CVT , SWP
    2011 Ford F-150, SuperCab, XLT, 5.0L, V8

I have a life long appreciation of music and play my Gretsch Brooklyn drum set almost daily. Quality music reproduction is important to me. High performance is also a priority. For me, ultimate performance takes a back seat. I have had better performing cars than my 2013 WRX. At this point in my life, I'm looking for balance. Do that which makes you most happy with your car.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Pool Runner View Post
    Has anyone here just replaced you're oem speakers? Leaving the oem head unit. As an example my '11 Ford F150 came with the worst stock speakers I've ever heard. I replaced all four 6x7 door speakers with Alpines and improved the sound by at least 50% it doesn't sound like a $4K system, but it does sound like it should have when it left the factory.

Was wondering if I could at the bare min do the same with my WRX.
    yeah, there are a few of us. I have the stock 2011 navi unit, and replaced all 4 doors with Memphis Car Audio speakers. improves the quality quite a bit. Next will be a JBL MS-8 sound processor, amp and sub.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

I had replaced my stock speakers with Infinity speakers prior to the radio swap. Typically, the speakers are the weak link in a system. Unfortunately, the stock radio was also lacking.

I Support ClubWRX
    It also depends on which unit you have....each model year has at least 2 head units. The 2011 Navi is made by Kenwood. It is not great, but not too bad either. The non-Navi is completely different, and each year they change.

If I could find an aftermarket unit that I like, with fast reaction time on the touch screen, that would look right in the cabin.....and all that for under $800, I would get it. Sadly, I have not found such a unit. I can't justify spending over $1300 on a head unit when about 60% of the time I am listening to the rumble.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

Before I got my 08 WRX, I had a pioneer deck with a kenwood sub, and it sounded pretty decent.
    When I got my 08, I thought it sounded like crap...untill I changed the settings. -2 Mid, Bass +5-7 (Depends on song), Treble +2. Sounds fine to me (it's also a premium, which I'm told has a slightly upgraded sys). No cracking or distortion (Unless my bass is too high for the song). I agree with lashak on the fund alocation though. Audio will be the absolute last thing that I do, not because I don't love music, but because I want MOAR POWERS. PS. Audio is reallly expensive and complex.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX View Post
    Next will be a JBL MS-8 sound processor, amp and sub.
    This is what I have been looking to eventually upgrade to as well. I would love to hear about your install and review of the MS-8 processor.
    Rod
    2014 WRX SWP Premium sedan
    Stink-Eye Mob #57
    "Just remember, with great power comes great responsibility" - rarrior

Quote Originally Posted by Rodman View Post
    This is what I have been looking to eventually upgrade to as well. I would love to hear about your install and review of the MS-8 processor.
    i put a 12" Boston Acoustics G3, Kenwood 5-channel amp and sound processor in mine for around $700 bucks (sales). i'm still rocking the OEM door speakers (crossed over) and HU. the audio and Cobb AP were my first mods because i came from a Dodge Magnum R/T with a good OEM stereo. my car prior to that was a Caddy STS with the 460 Watt Bose, so hopping in the Subaru was like WTF?

anywho, you can't hear me coming down the block (well, sometimes you can) and i'm not winning any sound competitions, but it has nice deep base and crystal clear mid's and high's. eventually i'll replace the front door speakers with components.

YMMV
    2012 WRX Premium Hatch, Stage 2
    Ice Silver Metal

I'm trying to look into keeping the stock headunit in my '13 and just upgrade the speakers with an amp and also just one 10" sub to handle the lows. All I need is what is already integrated into the headunit (beside's navi, which I get from my phone and could probably stream over bluetooth).

All of my songs are uncompressed wav files coming from the iPod. It is extremely sad when I switch to the FM side of the radio and can't hear a thing haha.

My last car (Volvo SoR) had a really nice stock sound system. The HU was not upgradable without a bunch of hassle so i didnt care... it sounded nice and had good bass. It had 2 small subs in front door mounted with 2 small speakers that pointed up and towards the center of the cabin...2 tweeters up front, a center speaker, 2 small sub speakers in the rear doors, and 2 larger speakers on the back deck...

My car before that one had upgraded speakers, tweeters,JVC HU, 2 10" subs in the trunk... and it couldn't be heard as loud and obnoxious from the outside of the car... it was the perfect amount of bass...

I love music... I love listening to good music... I also love listening to my CAI and hopefulyl down the road exhaust! At this stage I am ready for a stereo upgrade because I am missing that part on my daily commute. This is my daily driver so adding things to improve the sound doesnt bother me one bit.

I plan on doing the HU this week or very soon...
    Then if I dont like that it wil lbe this as follows:
    1. Add sound material
    2. Add sub
    3. Upgrade speakers and add AMP for speakers
    2012 WRX Hatchback ISM - Base Model - STI STS, SPT Boost Gauge, AEM Intake, TP Stage 1 Tune, red illumination kit, cobb shift knob, 20% tint - currently on stock wheels wrapped in Pirelli Winter Carving Edge Tires
    Some cool tidbits to come...

All I know is my News Radio stations rock in my '13 WRX, not too much bass either

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.