Sound Damping Impreza 2008
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Sound Damping Impreza 2008 within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; So i got 95k on my 2008 impreza and I have noticed a considerable about of noise in the cabin. ...

Sound Damping Impreza 2008

So i got 95k on my 2008 impreza and I have noticed a considerable about of noise in the cabin. I have been reading online how people put dynomat in the door panels and have seen a huge decrease in road noise so I was wondering has anyone tried this before? I checked with the audio team at frys and they only charge $40 to dynomat the doors (not including materials).

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm sure it would work fine. But I'd be certain you get more road noise from lack of sound deadening material under the floor carpets as well.

Dynamat isn't cheap for the materials itself...you're potentially looking at an expensive sound deadening project.

Do it yourself and use this from Home Depot: Instant Waterproof Repair and Re-Roofing Material-QR625 at The Home Depot
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I'm sure it would work fine. But I'd be certain you get more road noise from lack of sound deadening material under the floor carpets as well.

Dynamat isn't cheap for the materials itself...you're potentially looking at an expensive sound deadening project.

Do it yourself and use this from Home Depot: Instant Waterproof Repair and Re-Roofing Material-QR625 at The Home Depot
    great idea but is there a guide to pulling back the carpet in the car?

I'm sure there is somewhere on Nasioc or somewhere. I don't personally know (or even google?).

But removing seats are pretty easy. Same with popping off the door cards.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Great find. Wish I had seen this earlier. For the life of me I still cant figure out how one of the pieces that hold the driver side carpet in place go back.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    Um....Mikie...have you used that stuff personally?

You do realize that is rubberised ASPHALT...which stinks.

I am all for repurposing stuff, and DIY what you can, but I don't think I would put asphalt in my ride as I can't stand the smell of it.

I would suggest e-dead/....it is cheap, has a good record (from what I have read) and comes in multiple forms including a paint on version.

not to mention that the roofing is $17 for 12sq feet, while the e-dead starts at $1 per sq. foot for the butyl rubber roll, or $38 for the paint that covers 50 sq. feet.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

For what it is worth, the older B-quiet Extreme dampening product was rubberized asphalt. I believe they switched to butyl rubber because of a greater effective temperature range.
    Last edited by SKI.WRX; 12-12-2012 at 05:55 PM.

the fumes the asphalt stuff gives off are also toxic.. definitely dont want to be confined in a car with that stuff. I found that a dynamat door kit worked quite well for doing my rear hatch area and another door kit worked well for doing the floor pan from mid front seats back. You dont have to go edge to edge on panels to stop them from being resonant. Tap around with your middle or index finger to find the spots that are most resonant and put a piece of matting there. I added pieces of dynamat in the hatch, hatch area floor (especially the vertical rear facing panel below the hatch opening.. that thing sounded like a mini gong when tapped on) the rearward portion of the spare tire well and the stamped metal braces right under the rear seat back.

OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I have friends who have used that stuff...as well as Vinny (Silvercookie) on here. The smell isn't really a big deal. Never thought about the Toxicity (Of our cittttttty!) of it though. Thanks for the other stuff though Bruce, I'll look into that myself since I was planning on doing this after Christmas to my car anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Never thought about the Toxicity (Of our cittttttty!) of it though.
    LOL!

I thought about using the homed depot stuff then i saw this.

The Truth About Sound Deadening - YouTube

I felt he made a good point, but I want to try this e-dead stuff.

I Support ClubWRX
    that guy is a tool....twitches like he is on something.

the info he gives is sound (ba-dump-dump) but the 'glue weights to your car' idea is stupid. I don't doubt it works, but gorilla gluing a 5lb dumbell to my trunk lid is not going to happen.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX View Post
    that guy is a tool....twitches like he is on something.
    Looks to me like he has Tourettes.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Dynamat is good for mitigating vibrations, that's what it was designed for. So if you use it, do so sparingly. You don't have to cover an entire panel to keep it from vibrating, just the parts most susceptible to movement (the middle usually, or points furthest from where it's fixed). If you do cover a whole panel in it, you are really just wasting money. Due to it's nature, you will really only be cutting out vibrations and noises your CAR makes, which for some people/cars, is enough.

If you want to actually BLOCK noises from entering you need something denser, and you will need to cover whole areas. This might not be desirable for everyone though because it will certainly add weight so you have to chose what you want to do accordingly.

Here's some very good reading: Sound Deadener Showdown - Your Source for Sound Deadening Products and Information

They sell things there too, but you don't necessarily have to go with that. Stuff with similar properties will be ok if they can be had cheaper elsewhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Looks to me like he has Tourettes.
    Yeah if you read the comments, he does...and he's already been made fun of for it as per usual idiots/trolls on Youtube vids.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast