Really good touchscreen head units?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Really good touchscreen head units? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I've won about 1000 bucks betting on NFL games this year (300 on the patriots lastnight, 3 TD's in 52 ...

I've won about 1000 bucks betting on NFL games this year (300 on the patriots lastnight, 3 TD's in 52 seconds lol) and was thinking about getting a 7" touchscreen head unit. (stock audio is horrible) Which ones are some of the best? I don't really need a GPS unit but I would like one as it might come in handy. I've been looking around on amazon.com and other places but you can't trust any of the reviews you see nowadays.

Thanks

Ohh screw the GPS .. i guess they are a lot more money.
    Last edited by JLong; 11-23-2012 at 06:17 PM.
    '12 WRX Premium 5door (SWP)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm lookin at a Pioneer AVHP8400 .. looks really nice but no GPS. Any downfall to getting a GPS model?

Based on my forum lurking, it seems like a lot of people prefer the pioneer head units. But, I am curious to hear everyone's input as I will be buying one soon as well.

Are you swapping speakers at the same time JLong?

if you have a smartphone and the HU supports bluetooth streaming you can use whatever GPS app on your smart phone and have the audio come through the car speakers.

I've been looking for a new one as well. A couple things to think about are: any future plans to upgrade your sound system? If so make sure that it has preamp outputs, 3 would be ideal (front, rear, subwoofer). Then, depending on your phone/music source, some are more geared toward apple products giving extra functionality. I'd consider bluetooth a must. Personally I'd like an dial volume control over a full touchscreen with toggle volume controls, for those times when you need to mute it or turn down the volume quick. But I do think that the full touchscreen HU's are definitely sleeker looking. As long as its from a brand such as JVC, Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer,etc, it should sound great. And resolution wise, they're all pretty much sub-par for todays technology.

Your also going to need an adapter to keep your steering wheel functions, and a dash kit to make sure that the install is clean and the HU is flush with the surrounding plastic.

Also, some have detachable faceplates. I don't know how the neighborhood you live in is, but its always something to think about.

you can check out sonicelectronix.com and crutchfield.com, pretty much carry everything and they have decent support if you have any questions. also free shipping & no sales tax i believe

I Support ClubWRX

Re: Really good touchscreen head units?

I will second Sonic electronix. I bought most of my audio equipment from them. Very competitive pricing,especially the "make an offer" feature. Had an issue with one product more than a month after I bought it & they replaced it ,no questions asked.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Thanks for the replies guys.
    I actually got a little ancy and bought one from amazon.com
    I ended up getting the Pioneer AVH-P8400BH. It was a lot cheaper on amazon right now than crutchfield. I did get the parking brake bypass but I dont know if I am going to need dash kit to install it. No idea where to get that.

From what i've been reading you dont need to swap speakers if you get a new head unit. I'll see what it sounds like after i install this thing

You don't need new speakers and there will be quite an improvement in sound quality.

Have you looks into Alpine? I have a IVA-w505 an I'm considering upgrading to Ina-910 here shortly...great quality stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by JLong View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys.
    I actually got a little ancy and bought one from amazon.com
    I ended up getting the Pioneer AVH-P8400BH. It was a lot cheaper on amazon right now than crutchfield. I did get the parking brake bypass but I dont know if I am going to need dash kit to install it. No idea where to get that.
    I also have the AVHP8400 installed, and couldn't be happier...

You don't need a "dash kit", I used the brackets from the stock stereo and purchased a JDM bezel (66065SC130) with a 7" opening so that it looks OEM. Here is a good link to see an example:
    Trim kit - is it necessary on 2012 WRX? - NASIOC

Also, I used SVXdc's 20 pin forward harness to connect to the stock wiring, Axxess ASWC steering wheel controller to maintain the stock wheel controls, and parking brake bypass from eBay.

If you buy the optional CD-IU201S cable, you can plug in an ipod/iphone in order to use fullscreen gps with voice directions for free. NavFree specifically works amazing and looks just as good as any gps from garmin, etc.. plus the ability to search for locations and addresses with google search.

I Support ClubWRX

There have been a multitude of threads similar to this lately.

For what it is worth, you can either buy the mounting kit or the different dash bezel. I don't have the part number on hand, but there is a usdm part number I recently posted for one.

I'd check out ae64.com for the harness and his recommendations on steering wheel controls.

Just install the head unit and see what you think. Work from there. I just installed pioneers apps to radio unit last week and am happy with it. I will do a write up once I get the sub in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Quick question about the steering wheel adapter. I know it will work for volume and changing tracks but will the answer, hang up and voice dialing buttons work too? I currently have a Pioneer head unit with Bluetooth in my 01 Legacy that Id'e like to swap to my 2013 hatch when I get it but Id'e like to be able to still answer calls and stuff with the steering wheel buttons.

EDIT: Never mind, I read the previous link in this thread and found my answer. Thanks anyways!
    Last edited by punkndrublic04; 11-24-2012 at 08:55 AM.

I Support ClubWRX

Good luck.

Fwiw, my Bluetooth buttons seem to act as skip and mute. I am on my own for calls. Generally I just push the voice command button on my screen once my phone is hooked up and just dial it that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Speakers are typically the weak link in factory systems. I replaced the stock speakers with Infinity speakers. This helped, but the receivers in these cars really suck. I had a Kia that had an awesome receiver. Subaru needs to get with the program and offer a good stereo setup. At some point I will replace the head unit. Also, Subaru needs to provide an all season tire option for those who live in the snow belt. AWD is a big selling point in Ohio. If I lived in a locale that only needed summer tires, more than likely I would have purchased a Mustang GT. That being said, I love my WRX. Just some things Subaru should consider in the future.

Do any of you guys have experience with the 2013 Pioneer models? I don't need navigation. These two models look pretty sweet.

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Pioneer AVH-X3500BHS

The top one has a 7" display and the bottom one has a 6.1" display. Both are XM compatible and have android integration for pandora. $477 and $374 on Amazon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast