best way to upgrade 2011 audio
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

This is a discussion on best way to upgrade 2011 audio within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I've read pretty much every audio thread on this forum, but I didn't get the sense of a definitive answer ...

  1. #1
    Registered User Ksound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    11

    best way to upgrade 2011 audio

    I've read pretty much every audio thread on this forum, but I didn't get the sense of a definitive answer

    I want to upgrade my wife's 2011 wrx audio system, I knew it sucked when we bought it, but I've been driving it a lot lately and realized how bad it actually is

    She's not an audiophile and isn't into massive kicking bass
    The most important thing would be maintaining the usb connection to the ipod and the steering wheel controls
    I was looking to drop about $500 or less

    so what is the best and cheapest way to upgrade the stock stereo?

    replacing the stock speakers?
    adding a power amp to the stock head unit?
    Replacing the stock head unit?

    And if I replace the head unit, what unit should I get that will allow me to keep the stock usb and steering wheel controls?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User Heide264's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    4,231
    I Support ClubWRX
    Replace the stock head unit.

    Take your pick of brands. I'm partial to Alpine & Pioneer. Pioneer packs the better feature set with still pretty good audio quality perks.

    The new head unit (and steering wheel controls) will govern your usb connections/steering wheel control integration/hands free calling. I would just run a new usb cable to wherever you want.

    Speakers are pretty nice stock actually. I'd just use the head units internal amps unless you want some more power after you install the head unit.

    Check out Subaru radio and radio wiring harness information for all the wiring and steering wheel control details. I would use one of his harnesses. Would make the install mostly plug and play minus running accessory wires.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

  4. #3
    Registered User dolson1120's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    129
    dynamat!!! 500$ is not much to spend for speakers,amps,subs etc. If she likes the blue tooth and ipod then just use the dynamt in the doors and maybe trunk and go from there. Just saying by the time you bought speakers and a amp or a head unit your going to be way over $$$.
    STAGE 1 IS MORE FUN BUT STAGE 2 THERE'S MORE TO DO

  5. #4
    Registered User jimbo058's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Posts
    114
    Front doors - Infinity REF-6502ix 6-1/2" reference coaxial speakers. Rear - Infinity REF-5002ix 5-1/4" speakers. Total cost for all four speakers: under $200. Difference in sound - very noticable !!

  6. #5
    Registered User Heide264's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    4,231
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by dolson1120 View Post
    dynamat!!! 500$ is not much to spend for speakers,amps,subs etc. If she likes the blue tooth and ipod then just use the dynamt in the doors and maybe trunk and go from there. Just saying by the time you bought speakers and a amp or a head unit your going to be way over $$$.
    I'd agree. Some resonance dampener in the doors would probably make a noticeable difference as well. I plan on adding some when I do the sub install down the road a bit. Remember - you don't need to cover the entire panel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

  7. #6
    and the Funky Bunch Calvinball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Philly Area
    Posts
    5,980
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo058 View Post
    Front doors - Infinity REF-6502ix 6-1/2" reference coaxial speakers. Rear - Infinity REF-5002ix 5-1/4" speakers. Total cost for all four speakers: under $200. Difference in sound - very noticable !!
    With the stock head unit?
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

  8. #7
    Master Baiter EJ257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On a stream bank somewhere
    Posts
    19,863
    I Support ClubWRX
    For $500:
    Pioneer AVH-P4400DVD (EOL unit, ~$350 shipped on Amazon)
    Wiring harness
    AWSC for the steering wheel controls
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

    Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

    "Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

    UNYSOC

  9. #8
    Pro Manscaper Mikie13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Palmyra, NJ
    Posts
    21,203
    Definitely start with the head unit. If you get crappy audio signal and weak power to the speakers, they are obviously going to sound crappy. Quality head unit will fix those things...then establish if you'd like to take improvements further.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

  10. #9
    Registered User Ksound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    11

    Re: best way to upgrade 2011 audio

    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    For $500:
    Pioneer AVH-P4400DVD (EOL unit, ~$350 shipped on Amazon)
    Wiring harness
    AWSC for the steering wheel controls
    Did you do the install yourself?

    Just wondering

    Is the existing usb plug compatible with the harness, our did you need to do some splicing or get one of the aftermarket usb kits

    Was your harness pre-wired for the aswc

    What harness and aswc unit did you get, does it matter?

    Did you need a mounting kit or a external trim plate (to close any gaps)


    Sorry to be a pain, but I don't want to get the dash apart and realize I didn't order something that I needed

    haven't installed a car stereo in almost a decade and the tech has changed a lot over the past few yrs

    Will stop by at a BB and a car audio place to check stuff out in person and talk to a tech, but I'll probably just get everything off of amazon and do it myself

  11. #10
    Registered User Heide264's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    4,231
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    Replace the stock head unit.

    Take your pick of brands. I'm partial to Alpine & Pioneer. Pioneer packs the better feature set with still pretty good audio quality perks.

    The new head unit (and steering wheel controls) will govern your usb connections/steering wheel control integration/hands free calling. I would just run a new usb cable to wherever you want.

    Speakers are pretty nice stock actually. I'd just use the head units internal amps unless you want some more power after you install the head unit.

    Check out Subaru radio and radio wiring harness information for all the wiring and steering wheel control details. I would use one of his harnesses. Would make the install mostly plug and play minus running accessory wires.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ksound View Post
    Did you do the install yourself?

    Just wondering

    Is the existing usb plug compatible with the harness, our did you need to do some splicing or get one of the aftermarket usb kits

    Was your harness pre-wired for the aswc

    What harness and aswc unit did you get, does it matter?

    Did you need a mounting kit or a external trim plate (to close any gaps)


    Sorry to be a pain, but I don't want to get the dash apart and realize I didn't order something that I needed

    haven't installed a car stereo in almost a decade and the tech has changed a lot over the past few yrs

    Will stop by at a BB and a car audio place to check stuff out in person and talk to a tech, but I'll probably just get everything off of amazon and do it myself
    As I said above - you'll want to run a new USB cable. They use a non-standard connector. Unless you want to cut it apart, just run a new cable.

    You'll need either a JDM style dash bezel or a metra mounting kit with some filler. The standard double DIN unit is about 1/2" narrower than the stock unit. I ordered part number 66065SC130 for about $75 after shipping. I also have a metra harness sitting around I didn't use. If you'd rather go that route, you could save yourself some cash (I'd let it go for $10 shipped - think it ran me about $15) over getting the bezel to fill the gap.

    again, see my post above for the wiring harness. If you get the harness from that site with the correct options, you won't have any splicing to do outside of a parking brake bypass if you go that route.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

  12. #11
    Registered User Ksound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    11
    got a quick question
    The JDM part#66065SC130

    local dealer said they could have it in a day for $79
    Is it the same part or do I need to order from an online imported Japanese parts place?

    thanks for all the help

  13. #12
    Registered User Heide264's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    4,231
    I Support ClubWRX
    That part number is actually a USDM part number. I believe that is the exact one I got. Fits nicely and matches pretty well =)

    I think I paid about $10 under that including shipping. If you want it quickly, I'd got that route. Otherwise, google the part number and look around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

  14. #13
    Registered User Ksound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    11
    Yeah I wasn't able to find the part anywhere online, found one site that had a lot of oem subaru parts at discount prices, I called em up to see if they could special order it
    guy on the phone said it comes up as a "dealer only" part
    but he told me wholesale price is $63, so I just sent out an email to a guy I know who works at a dealer to see if he can get it for me on the cheap

    I don't still need the mounting kit if I get that part do I?




    Also I ordered the CD-IU50V usb cable for $15 as opposed to the CD-IU201V cable for $50, from what I can tell both cables have the same functionality, minus the extension; but I'm probably just gonna drop it in the glove box

  15. #14
    Registered User Heide264's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    4,231
    I Support ClubWRX
    No mounting kit needed with the bezel (at least for mine).

    You'll just take off the side brackets of the stock head unit and move them over to the new head unit. The bolts are pretty well torqued in there, so make sure you have a decent quality screw driver that fits pretty well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

  16. #15
    Registered User Ksound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    11
    The weather warmed up, so I'm gonna install this for my wife this week
    Made up this chart, just wondering if it looks right to you people
    (seems to be a lot of unused wires for the ASWC)

    The things I questioned I put in a red (?)
    also I'm not sure what to do with the diode that came with the ASWC






    thanks
    Last edited by Ksound; 01-18-2013 at 06:44 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •