iPad mini Install Idea
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on iPad mini Install Idea within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I've always wanted to stick an iPad in my WRX because I hated all the double din aftermarket radios. They ...

iPad mini Install Idea

I've always wanted to stick an iPad in my WRX because I hated all the double din aftermarket radios. They are all slow and out dated compared to todays technology.

So, I just got an iPad mini the other day and it's the perfect size for what I want to do. The width fits perfectly with the stock bezel, but some trimming and modification will be needed to fit it hight wise.

I got the inspiration from this video:

What I want to do is what they did, create a magnetic holder for the mini. But I also want to have a single din radio hidden behind it. I also want to have it connected to a lighting port to it gets power and so the radio can use the cable to play the music so it frees up the bluetooth for my phone.

I've never done/created anything like this and I'm open to ideas/suggestions. And you're free to use this design and make your own, you just have to make me one

Rough idea I created in google sketch up.
    Click image to view larger

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I like this set up it

appears more secure and maybe you can integrate the lighting port connector depending on how easily it seats with the ipad mini

Also does the iPad mini have dual Bluetooth connectivity for controls & possibly streaming?
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Re: iPad mini Install Idea

There is a website you can buy most of what you would need. I think its www.soundmanca.com. you could buy his fiberglass tray and make it fit our car somehow. Sounds like a good project to me. Curious to see how it would come out. I might even try it myself lol.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Ive got to say this is pretty sweet! i might try that myself.. if you guys come up with quick solutions or better ideas let me know.. I'll look into this

but then u will have no radioo.. i could live with streaming radio but eh.. sometimes i just like teh radio. good idea though. let us know how it goes

well like he said if you could find a way to have the radio in behind it then it wouldnt be bad at all.. im like you though i still like my radio from time to time

i think theres programs or apps for android tablets where u can download monitoring equipment ( as long as u have the proper sensors like WBO2 and such) that u can make your tablet connect with your ECU and monitor things like an Access Port but then still have all of your tablet features.

yeah that would be nice to be able to monitor all of your stuff.. i mean whos gonna be surfing the internet while driving? lol kinda pointless.

The problem is the single din has to be recessed enough to fit the ipad tray and it would look ugly if you just built the tray away from it with the stock oem trim panel, now what you could do is modify the box the single din sits in and push it back say .5" and build a fiber glass tray to hold the ipad over it and cut out the inside. To hold the ipad in without magnets the clearences would have to be tight but you could rap the tray in felt so it doesent damage the pad. But this truly is a great idea.

Edit: Check out sound waves of tampa's fb, theres some good pictures of how they installed it, also to play radio theres apps and you could always connect to a fm transmitter.
    Last edited by apedz215; 11-08-2012 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2008subaruguy View Post
    There is a website you can buy most of what you would need. I think its Soundman Car Audio - Home of the iPad mini Car Install. you could buy his fiberglass tray and make it fit our car somehow. Sounds like a good project to me. Curious to see how it would come out. I might even try it myself lol.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
    I could wait a while to get his tray. And I think it'd be easier to make the specific one that I want to make. I know someone who owns a fiberglass company that I can get the supplies and help.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    but then u will have no radioo.. i could live with streaming radio but eh.. sometimes i just like teh radio. good idea though. let us know how it goes
    Like Mitch89 said, the radio will be behind. The reason I'd like the radio directly behind the iPad is because I use the glove box and center console. All the controls I really need are on the steering wheel, but if I do need to access it it's really easy to pop off the iPad mini.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    i think theres programs or apps for android tablets where u can download monitoring equipment ( as long as u have the proper sensors like WBO2 and such) that u can make your tablet connect with your ECU and monitor things like an Access Port but then still have all of your tablet features.
    I was thinking about that as well, it's be a nice feature. Not sure I'd use it all that much though besides to impress friends lol.

Here's another image of the faceplate.

To make the iPad mini fit I'm going to have to cut part of the vents. I still what the vents to be functional so I was thinking taking a fin or two off the top horizontal fins and cutting the assembly back the depth of the front fins. The back vertical fins can stay as the iPad tray should not be that deep.

Here is the front of the plate and what I have to cut to make room The horizontal bar on the plate will cut out and moved down.

Here's a side view of the vent assembly and how it was going to notch it out.

Does anyone know here I can get the actual vent assembly part?
    Some info that was on it:

66110FG020
    GR L Vent Assy CTR
    >PP-TD23<

U.S. Combat Veteran (3ID) Stu_Gotti's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Watching!

iPad mini would certainly look good indash.
    Clarke Tuned | Cobb SRI | Cobb DP | Nameless Mid-Pipe & Axleback | PW TMIC | DW65C | NGK2309 | SPT STS | RA Flaps w/Blue | Pro-Clip | KB Black Aluminum Shift Knob | KB Front & Rear Shifter Bushings | 18x9.5 +40 Gunmetal Rota D wrapped in 265/35ZR-18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 | 24mm Whiteline Front Sway & 22mm Rear | Kartboy Front & Rear Endlinks | Yakima Roof Rack Complete System w/ Highroller Bike Rack & Yakima Fairing | 35% Tint | Full Sound Dead | Blue Prova Rearview

I Support ClubWRX
    Not a bad idea at all, just hard to carry out in a well rounded manner.

Down the road, I'd suggest a matte/anti-glare/anti-finger print screen cover for the mini. Spigen makes a bunch of them for most devices. Should help visibility a lot.

I considered doing something similar, but I ended up going with the new Apps2Radio from Pioneer. Somebody released an application to "unlock it" for android devices, allowing you to use any app as opposed to just the pioneer approved apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I Support ClubWRX
    Neat idea! I was thinking that the Mini lends itself to this better than the full size.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Thats pretty sweet, i wouldnt want an ipad in my dash but its still a good idea and looks real nice
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast