iPad mini Install Idea - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on iPad mini Install Idea within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Update ...I hate body filler... About 90% done, just have to do the final body work. I started a little ...

Update

...I hate body filler...

About 90% done, just have to do the final body work. I started a little but had to go out of town so I did what I could and put a coat of primer on. Never worked with body filler and I can't get it to do what I want. I have tight corners and spaces to work with which doesn't help. I try to fill some small holes but can't get the filler to stay or fill in the hole completely. Another issue I'm having is getting a smooth transition between the body filler and the plastic. I used rougher 80 grit sand paper to get the basic shape, then 140, the finer paper. So, any tips would be helpful!

Also, I cracked the solder connection on the plug while test fitting the suede. It still works and charges when it's full in, but as soon as I start to take it out it looses connection. I'll have to see how long it'll last and what else I can do about it. I might take it out and re-solder it and make that joint stronger.

You can click on the pic to see the larger version to see my crappy body work lol

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

iPad mini Install Idea

Use standard bondo filler to rough the shape you want, 80g to 140g or whatever, then apply a Glaze coat filler over the bondo to fill the pinholes and deep scratches, sand that with 240g and work upto 800g. Then prime. If you have 140g scratches in it the primer and paint will shrink and you'll see the scratches when finished. The Glaze coat will work much better.

That is awesome!

wow. your doing a great job. keep it up.

Update

bondo, sand, bondo, sand, primer, dry, sand, bondo, sand, primer, dry, sand, primer, dry… It's very time consuming doing body work to make it look nice. But, it's getting there!

I'm trying to figure out my plan of attack for getting the suede in there. I'd like to cover the whole inside of the pan, but I don't think I have the skills or know how to do that and make it look nice. I'm looking around for local upholstery shops to see if they could do it. Any tips or ideas??

The lightning 90 adapter broke at the solder joint. I was going to fix it, but I might try using the cable that came with the iPad. It's looking like it'll just fit without hitting the left side. The cable also looks stronger in case of bending it too far when I take it out.

everything looks good. for the suede, could you glue it down?
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

Quote Originally Posted by spirited09wrx View Post
    everything looks good. for the suede, could you glue it down?
    Yeah, it'll be glued down. But the hard part is getting the entire inside of the pan covered because of the complex and tight curves.

Re: iPad mini Install Idea

You could use a upholstery spray glue. Tape the areas you don't want glue then spray the pan and the back of the suede. Gently set it in. Just an idea. Good job so far!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

This is blowing my mind! It looks great! Does the ipad fit in there nice and snug? Can you still point your vents in all directions like before the modification?

Also, have you done any driving around with the ipad in there and turned on? I'm curious about what kind of glare you might get. Usually cars have a large cowl to make sure the screen is always visible.

Keep up the good work!
    2012 Limited World Rally Blue Pearl Subaru Impreza World Rally Xross Sedan ...
    ...On order since 4/14/2012; Received VIN 7/4/2012; ETA 8/6/2012; Delivered 8/9/2012
    OTS AP Stage 1 9/15/2012

Wow that looks better than I ever imagined it would. Kickass.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Wow that looks better than I ever imagined it would. Kickass.
    this

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    2012 WRX Premium Hatch, Stage 2
    Ice Silver Metal

nice progress!

Quote Originally Posted by hindude View Post
    This is blowing my mind! It looks great! Does the ipad fit in there nice and snug? Can you still point your vents in all directions like before the modification?

Also, have you done any driving around with the ipad in there and turned on? I'm curious about what kind of glare you might get. Usually cars have a large cowl to make sure the screen is always visible.

Keep up the good work!
    Thanks! The iPad does fit very snug, drove about 400miles with it in so far. I've drifted in the snow, hit big bumps and it doesn't move or rattle, even without the suede in, just the primed piece. As far as glare, it's very minimal when the screen is off, when it's on, I do not notice it. from my view in the drivers seat, what I see is the part of the passenger window. The vents work normally, just smaller

Would there be any interest in me getting these mass produced in a sold plastic like the stock bezel so it'd be almost plug and play? If so, how much would you pay for something like this realistically?

Similar to this?
    The STiPad Project - Put an iPad in your Subie! - NASIOC

Re: iPad mini Install Idea

id def buy one !

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.