iPad mini Install Idea - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on iPad mini Install Idea within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; It's coming right along!...

I Support ClubWRX
    It's coming right along!
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Test fitting in the car. Looks like everything clears. It's going to be a very tight fit for the radio as the depth is shallow and the back of the radio is hitting...

wow, this is looking really great!
    2012 Limited World Rally Blue Pearl Subaru Impreza World Rally Xross Sedan ...
    ...On order since 4/14/2012; Received VIN 7/4/2012; ETA 8/6/2012; Delivered 8/9/2012
    OTS AP Stage 1 9/15/2012

U.S. Combat Veteran (3ID) Stu_Gotti's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    You're doing a phenomenal job, dude. Looks like it'll come out very nice, anxious to see the final results.
    Clarke Tuned | Cobb SRI | Cobb DP | Nameless Mid-Pipe & Axleback | PW TMIC | DW65C | NGK2309 | SPT STS | RA Flaps w/Blue | Pro-Clip | KB Black Aluminum Shift Knob | KB Front & Rear Shifter Bushings | 18x9.5 +40 Gunmetal Rota D wrapped in 265/35ZR-18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 | 24mm Whiteline Front Sway & 22mm Rear | Kartboy Front & Rear Endlinks | Yakima Roof Rack Complete System w/ Highroller Bike Rack & Yakima Fairing | 35% Tint | Full Sound Dead | Blue Prova Rearview

*subscribed*
    2012 WRX Premium Hatch, Stage 2
    Ice Silver Metal

yeah subscribed as well. I'm quite impressed!
    2013 SWP WRX 5-Door
    2005 OBP WRX 4-Door SOLD

nice job man. cant wait to see the final product.

Update:

Created the final tray. This time the results where a bit better. I taped up the whole table thingy I was working as the paper bags I used last time were not flat enough. I pre cut and test fitting two sheets of fiberglass so it would be stronger and easier than multiple little pieces of it. Before I glassed I test fitted the magnets buy setting them on the iPad and see where they where the strongest. I marked them so I knew where they would go once I got going. I still had issues on the sharp corners with the fiberglass and resin not sticking and getting air bubbles. So along the edge of the iPad there where air bubbles and once I took it out you could see the gaps.

Got the vents and the tray glued in with epoxy to the radio bezel. I still have yet to glue the bar where you see the gap between the tray and vents.

Got the part I was dreading the most, fitting the radio. I figured it'd be the hardest as I have to match the radio and tray up in 3D space so a lot of things could go wrong and not line up. But, thankfully everything did! I had to create my own brackets so everything would position correctly. I took some measurements the best I could and created the mounts out of some aluminum. It was thin so it was flexible to bend in the right positions. In the photos I wanted to test fit everything so the single DIN radio does not have the little black bezel on so it might look a little rough on the inside of the tray by the radio.

Suck the iPad on to check the clearance to make sure the radio did not hit the back of it. Everything is fitting like a charm and everything has been very tight for clearances so far. The radio just fit far back enough, don't think it could go back any farther unless you did some heavy modifications or titled the radio on a good angle.

Still can't think of an elegant and durable solution for the lightning cable. So what I'm going to do for now is just have the cable that came with the iPad and have it hanging out. I'll plug it into the iPad then snake the cable back thought the hole when I want to mount it.

If any of you plan on doing something like this, make your life way easier and sick the radio somewhere else. I would be done by now if I just created the iPad tray like you saw in the videos I posted...

I hope to have most of it done tomorrow. can't wait to get this done, it's been a bit overwhelming! But now that everyone is interested I have to finish it haha. And I'm doing all this with very limited tools (dremel) in my apartment or the basement.

I Support ClubWRX

iPad mini Install Idea

Very impressive! Are you worried about heat dissipation at all?
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    Very impressive! Are you worried about heat dissipation at all?
    Thanks! Not really, I rarely use the front vents for heat. Use them for air condition and the cold air is fine on the electronics.

Wow! Pretty impressive. Are you going to paint the mount to match as well?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Wow! Pretty impressive. Are you going to paint the mount to match as well?
    Yeah, going to try and match as close to factory as possible. I'll also be putting some suede where the iPad will rest so it doesn't scratch or vibrate.

That's looking really nice! In the 6th pic you just posted, I can see the black rectangular tubing for the HVAC system that is just behind the bezel. Does that part interfere with your design? Are you removing it or keeping it in the final product?
    2012 Limited World Rally Blue Pearl Subaru Impreza World Rally Xross Sedan ...
    ...On order since 4/14/2012; Received VIN 7/4/2012; ETA 8/6/2012; Delivered 8/9/2012
    OTS AP Stage 1 9/15/2012

Quote Originally Posted by hindude View Post
    That's looking really nice! In the 6th pic you just posted, I can see the black rectangular tubing for the HVAC system that is just behind the bezel. Does that part interfere with your design? Are you removing it or keeping it in the final product?
    Thanks! It will stay, I just took it out because it was easier to position and move the radio. I'm trying to keep everything as stock as possible so it could be easily swapped out for the original. The only things I changed was the radio bezel and vents, and I bought a spare vent that I've been using.

Update

Looks like I'll be able to use the 90į connector I have. The actual male part on the lighting plug is short enough that it doesn't need to bend much to get the iPad in. I had to trim a bit on the PC board to make it fit and I used hot glue to keep it in place. I figured hot glue would give a little flex, and it does. I don't think in the long run it will put much strain on either the iPad port or the plug.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast