iPad mini Install Idea - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on iPad mini Install Idea within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; In for...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Looking at all those supplies has even got ME pumped. Try to take pics of the progress. Hope it turns out great!
    2012 Limited World Rally Blue Pearl Subaru Impreza World Rally Xross Sedan ...
    ...On order since 4/14/2012; Received VIN 7/4/2012; ETA 8/6/2012; Delivered 8/9/2012
    OTS AP Stage 1 9/15/2012

are you using the regular bezel or the jdm bezel?

Quote Originally Posted by apedz215 View Post
    are you using the regular bezel or the jdm bezel?
    I'll be using the regular OEM bezel.

Bought an iPhone5 dock from here to see if it had a 90į connector on the inside that I could use.

It did!

Nice win! Are you going to be using a head unit with a USB connection in the back?
    ...On order since 4/14/2012; Received VIN 7/4/2012; ETA 8/6/2012; Delivered 8/9/2012
    OTS AP Stage 1 9/15/2012

Quote Originally Posted by hindude View Post
    Nice win! Are you going to be using a head unit with a USB connection in the back?
    I'll be using a JVC KD-A95BT for a HU, but I don't think I'll be plugging it into it. It's looking like the iPad mini draws a lot of power with navigation and the HU won't keep it charged on longer trips. I'll be tapping in the power of the car and put in a 12v to usb converter instead.

Ahh, so will you be connecting audio to the head unit via bluetooth?
    OTS AP Stage 1 9/15/2012

Quote Originally Posted by hindude View Post
    Ahh, so will you be connecting audio to the head unit via bluetooth?
    Yep. That head unit has dual Bluetooth so I can have the iPad and my phone connected at the same time. So, music can be streaming from the iPad but if I get a call on my phone it will transfer over to that.

I had a friend of mine created the mold of the recessed part where the radio will be. So this, the iPad and wood, is what I'll use for a mold when I start fiberglassing.

thats a dam good idea! I may have to buy a mold of you if ya make more.
    Last edited by apedz215; 12-18-2012 at 05:24 PM.

Just finished glassing. This is not the final version, it's a test. As I've never done fiberglassing before so I want to see how things turn out. I'll use this piece to see how everything will fit and placement for the final product.

There are two layers of fiberglass, how many would you guys recommend?

I Support ClubWRX

Re: iPad mini Install Idea

No recommendation on the glassing, as I have no experience with it. It is nice to see this project coming along so well though :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Update:

Got it glassed two days ago and took it out of the mold last night. Things did not go smoothly, as I expected. I think I did not add enough hardener so it took about a day to cure to something that was workable.

How I glassed it was I had a large sheet of fiberglass that fit the height of the model with the curves. The flat sides I had about 2in squares I stuck on. I was having issues with the pieces staying in place. That caused some air bubbles to get inside.

After I taped the mold I waxed it so it would be easier to take out, but that didn't seem to help, took two hours to get the damn thing out. I wanted to be careful as I didn't want to break my iPad. I think I'll be getting a fake iPad for the molds. The odd shape make it difficult to get out smoothly, if it was just the iPad it would have been a piece of cake. The side of the mold without the curves was the part that was sticking the most. I had to cut the back of the mold so I could push on it, luckily that part is going to get cut anyways for the radio.

Also, on the edge where the iPad is, resin went over the edges so it enclosed it so I had to chip away to get the mold out. On the final mold I'll tape the whole mold on a board and tape it so the resign doesn't creep underneath and should make it easier to get out and a better looking edges as well.

I cut the edges and sanded things down on the mold to fit the radio bezel, and I also trimmed the bezel on the bottom to make it fit. The vents were cut back, but it's looking like it won't fit the the mold the way it currently is. On the mold the section, behind the iPad, is too low to fit. I can't cut more of the top off the vent as the back fins won't stay in place and work. So, when I make the final mold I'll move that back section up so everything clears.

Testing the magnets and they hold the iPad in, but you'd need a lip at the bottom or have the cable hold it in completely. If not the bottom will rattle and/or fall out if you drive hard.

wow!

What a cool project! Subscribing.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast