This is a discussion on iPad mini Install Idea within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; In for...
2011 DGM WRX | STi Short Throw Shifter, All Weather Mats + Rear Cargo Tray, Auto-Dimming Mirror/Compass, Center Armrest Ext, 110V Power Outlet Kit, Footwell Illum. Kit, LED Interior Lights, Panavise Dash Mount + ProClip Cell Phone Holder, Cobb Stage 2/Shifter Knob/Front/Rear Bushings/Downpipe/Heatshield, Subaru Roof Rack + Heavy Duty Basket, RA Mud Flaps, Group-N Trans mount + Crossmember bushings, Whiteline Front + Rear Swaybars, Kartboy Endlinks
Stink-Eye Mob #1701
Looking at all those supplies has even got ME pumped. Try to take pics of the progress. Hope it turns out great!
are you using the regular bezel or the jdm bezel?
Nice win! Are you going to be using a head unit with a USB connection in the back?
Ahh, so will you be connecting audio to the head unit via bluetooth?
thats a dam good idea! I may have to buy a mold of you if ya make more.
Last edited by apedz215; 12-18-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Just finished glassing. This is not the final version, it's a test. As I've never done fiberglassing before so I want to see how things turn out. I'll use this piece to see how everything will fit and placement for the final product.
There are two layers of fiberglass, how many would you guys recommend?
No recommendation on the glassing, as I have no experience with it. It is nice to see this project coming along so well though :-)
Got it glassed two days ago and took it out of the mold last night. Things did not go smoothly, as I expected. I think I did not add enough hardener so it took about a day to cure to something that was workable.
How I glassed it was I had a large sheet of fiberglass that fit the height of the model with the curves. The flat sides I had about 2in squares I stuck on. I was having issues with the pieces staying in place. That caused some air bubbles to get inside.
After I taped the mold I waxed it so it would be easier to take out, but that didn't seem to help, took two hours to get the damn thing out. I wanted to be careful as I didn't want to break my iPad. I think I'll be getting a fake iPad for the molds. The odd shape make it difficult to get out smoothly, if it was just the iPad it would have been a piece of cake. The side of the mold without the curves was the part that was sticking the most. I had to cut the back of the mold so I could push on it, luckily that part is going to get cut anyways for the radio.
Also, on the edge where the iPad is, resin went over the edges so it enclosed it so I had to chip away to get the mold out. On the final mold I'll tape the whole mold on a board and tape it so the resign doesn't creep underneath and should make it easier to get out and a better looking edges as well.
I cut the edges and sanded things down on the mold to fit the radio bezel, and I also trimmed the bezel on the bottom to make it fit. The vents were cut back, but it's looking like it won't fit the the mold the way it currently is. On the mold the section, behind the iPad, is too low to fit. I can't cut more of the top off the vent as the back fins won't stay in place and work. So, when I make the final mold I'll move that back section up so everything clears.
Testing the magnets and they hold the iPad in, but you'd need a lip at the bottom or have the cable hold it in completely. If not the bottom will rattle and/or fall out if you drive hard.
What a cool project! Subscribing.
The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
2012 Ford Mustang GT Premium|Kona Blue|5.0L Coyote V8|6spd Manual|Corsa Catback Exhaust