iPad mini Install Idea - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on iPad mini Install Idea within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Seems lots of people are doing this now....

I Support ClubWRX
    Seems lots of people are doing this now.

GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    Seems lots of people are doing this now.
    I think it's the way to go it you can get it to fit. Theirs fit basically perfect, which is nice!
    But, I don't think this is going to be a common thing. I remember a company going to make a kit you can easily install to put an iPad in our cars, but they couldn't sell them because of legal reasons.

I also found a video of someone that stuck a regular iPad in their car similar to what I want to do with the radio behind it.

U.S. Combat Veteran (3ID) Stu_Gotti's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    That's actually pretty clean IMO... I'd like to find something similar just like that and keep the stock HU...
    Clarke Tuned | Cobb SRI | Cobb DP | Nameless Mid-Pipe & Axleback | PW TMIC | DW65C | NGK2309 | SPT STS | RA Flaps w/Blue | Pro-Clip | KB Black Aluminum Shift Knob | KB Front & Rear Shifter Bushings | 18x9.5 +40 Gunmetal Rota D wrapped in 265/35ZR-18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 | 24mm Whiteline Front Sway & 22mm Rear | Kartboy Front & Rear Endlinks | Yakima Roof Rack Complete System w/ Highroller Bike Rack & Yakima Fairing | 35% Tint | Full Sound Dead | Blue Prova Rearview

Well the guys that I linked a video to in my first post did an install of the iPad mini in an STI. They are definitely helping my get a better idea on how to build something as I've never worked with fiberglass or body filler. Still not a big fan of how it sticks out on top though.

Does anyone here own that STI?!

Starts at 40s and then again at 7m30s

I Support ClubWRX
    Cool craftsmanship!

Aren't those guys getting a little old to be on camera with hoodies pulled up and flat brims?

<==way too old to understand the appeal
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

i scanned through the video, and its been a while since I saw the first video so I don't remember if the Ipad was powered, but...

Is there a way to use one of those power mats, similar to these, to keep your Ipad charging while docked and blasting music?
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

That last install was pretty interesting but I would like to see a solution that incorporates the doc connector.

Does anyone know of a method to feed video to the ipad? I know the rex doesn't need it, but I was thinking of adding a backup camera as an additional luxury. If I was going to go with the ipad in the dash, I'd be interested in that. Just throwing it out there to brainstorm with.
    2012 Limited World Rally Blue Pearl Subaru Impreza World Rally Xross Sedan ...
    ...On order since 4/14/2012; Received VIN 7/4/2012; ETA 8/6/2012; Delivered 8/9/2012
    OTS AP Stage 1 9/15/2012

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by hindude View Post
    That last install was pretty interesting but I would like to see a solution that incorporates the doc connector.

Does anyone know of a method to feed video to the ipad? I know the rex doesn't need it, but I was thinking of adding a backup camera as an additional luxury. If I was going to go with the ipad in the dash, I'd be interested in that. Just throwing it out there to brainstorm with.
    If you mean a direct feed via a cable, I doubt it. You could set up a wifi camera, and use one of those IP camera apps on the iPad, but that's not a very elegant solution (Have to create a constant wifi network... just for a reverse camera, lol). Even at that, you can forget about auto-launching the video feed when you shift into reverse, which is a standard feature on most DVD head units.

Android is open source (mostly), so for someone dedicated to making their own head unit, I'd steer them toward that ecosystem versus iOS. Plus, with features like Google ADK, connecting a microcontroller system to Android is "fairly" straightforward. That would open up features like controlling servos, lights, sensors, etc from the Android tablet. You could fully control your HVAC, datalog, assign lighting macros, etc ALL from the tablet.

Check out Heide264's work on Android tablet car integration: WTF Tuning Paraphernalia - Android Dashboard Project
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Thanks. I'll look into andorids too. My research into making this work for an ipad brought me to the same thing that you just mentioned, getting to the video feed over a wifi network.
    2012 Limited World Rally Blue Pearl Subaru Impreza World Rally Xross Sedan ...
    ...On order since 4/14/2012; Received VIN 7/4/2012; ETA 8/6/2012; Delivered 8/9/2012
    OTS AP Stage 1 9/15/2012

Quote Originally Posted by hindude View Post

You could hack into the iPad and take one of the cameras out. Move it to the license plate area and run a new wire back to the iPad. Cracking open an iPad is not that easy though.

Shoot you could take both cameras out for the front and back. Then you could record any one trying to harass you while you were driving.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

I plan on modifying the vents, just got a spare to mess with.
    The iPad mini is 5.3in tall when in landscape
    The top of the vents to the top of the bezel is ~4in
    Need to trim down the vents ~1.3in
    The new opening of the vents will be ~1.5in

Here is a very rough mockup. I took out the top three front fins on the right side vent and lowered the direction control thingy down one fin.

U.S. Combat Veteran (3ID) Stu_Gotti's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Not too shabby.
    Clarke Tuned | Cobb SRI | Cobb DP | Nameless Mid-Pipe & Axleback | PW TMIC | DW65C | NGK2309 | SPT STS | RA Flaps w/Blue | Pro-Clip | KB Black Aluminum Shift Knob | KB Front & Rear Shifter Bushings | 18x9.5 +40 Gunmetal Rota D wrapped in 265/35ZR-18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 | 24mm Whiteline Front Sway & 22mm Rear | Kartboy Front & Rear Endlinks | Yakima Roof Rack Complete System w/ Highroller Bike Rack & Yakima Fairing | 35% Tint | Full Sound Dead | Blue Prova Rearview

Got all my supplies ready. Now, just need to find time to make it...

Having never worked with fiberglass or body filler I'm going to make a "test" tray to see how things go before I actually start the final build. I can also use that test to see how things are going to fit within the car, the radio bezel, and see where/how I need to mount the stereo.

I Support ClubWRX

iPad mini Install Idea

Nice! Good luck man!
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast