2012/2013 wrx hatchback double din question - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on 2012/2013 wrx hatchback double din question within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Originally Posted by rurso01 Oh okay well that's sounds right... I thought it was 0 just to install and parts. ...

Quote Originally Posted by rurso01 View Post
    Oh okay well that's sounds right... I thought it was $800 just to install and parts. You included the head unit in the price. Did you buy the harness and the wiring for the Bluetooth and steering controls? All in all 192 isn't bad
    Nah, he's ordering everything I need. I just walked in, told him what I wanted, he gave me a quote, I scheduled an appt, and done.

The only thing that's changing is the OEM USB port in the arm console won't work, he's installing a separate Alpine USB cable there instead. The 1/8" jack will retain functionality still...good for Android stuff I guess.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by degobah77 View Post
    Nah, he's ordering everything I need. I just walked in, told him what I wanted, he gave me a quote, I scheduled an appt, and done.

The only thing that's changing is the OEM USB port in the arm console won't work, he's installing a separate Alpine USB cable there instead. The 1/8" jack will retain functionality still...good for Android stuff I guess.
    I might make a trip to Arlington VA to get mine installed where you did. Are you happy with the install? Last place I went i could see pry marks from a flat head around on the dash board and it never looked the same. Don't want to go through that again!

Quote Originally Posted by bratte88 View Post
    It's the z130bt love it.

-sent from my galaxy s3
    I was reading online that the galaxy isn't supported with this head unit: Amazon.com: Pioneer AVIC-X940BT In-Dash Navigation AV Receiver with 6.1" WVGA Touchscreen and Built-In Bluetooth: Car Electronics.

I have the galaxy nexus and if your s3 can connect without any issues than I would assume I wouldn't have a problem either. One of the reviewers was saying theres a short list of compatible phones in the HU and the galaxy was no where to be found.. hmm... Did you have any issues bratte88?

any double din will fit, the trick is the width of the opening in the dash trim panel. The scoche install kit takes care of that. The only thing I had to do with that was trim about 1/4" off the INSIDE of where the head unit face butts up against the trim panel of the install kit. This allowed the HU to sit flush with the trim panel and thus the rest of the dash panels.

I have a AVIC F700BT (old I know, but works well) and it fits just fine. I have a base car though so cant comment on adapting the factory bt or steering wheel components.. I didn't have them to begin with.

OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    Just finished installing a double din pioneer last night.

Check out part number 66065SC130 ... It's similar to the JDM bezel that most use, but is a USDM part number. I think its off a forester or something. Regardless, it fits and is a great match and looks fantastic. No filler needed.

If you don't mind the filler, they make dash kits to fill the gap that is left when you swap the head units out.

As far as install, I'd recommend going to ae64.com and picking up his harness as opposed to the metra 70-7552 harness that is commonly recommended. I used his directions for the steering wheel interface as well.

These cars aren't too hard to do the install with. The dash bezel is oddly forgiving compared to most dash parts. No unusually fragile clips or anything. Wiring is pretty upfront minus steering wheel controls. I'd just get that harness from ae64.com with the options you want, possibly an ebay parking brake bypass if needed for your unit, and the steering wheel control module suggested by ae64.com. Spend some time and make the harness up at the work bench - makes the actual head unit install much much easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Quote Originally Posted by rurso01 View Post
    I might make a trip to Arlington VA to get mine installed where you did. Are you happy with the install? Last place I went i could see pry marks from a flat head around on the dash board and it never looked the same. Don't want to go through that again!
    I had Best Buy install a new unit in an ex gf's car several years ago and they did the same thing, the dash was all ripped up from an obvious flathead screwdriver when they were prying the old unit out. Not a very clean install and I'd never go back to BB again. ****ing primitives.

My recent install is very clean, they went over the car with me beforehand noting any scratch marks (none, brand new and they knew it ), and I can't tell at all, minus a few wiring shavings that were left on the floor. It was damn expensive, this is my first after market sound system, but damn do I love it - the LFE makes all the difference in the world, sounds like a home theater in my car.

And this is with stock Limited speakers, which was nice to not have to replace!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by degobah77 View Post
    I had Best Buy install a new unit in an ex gf's car several years ago and they did the same thing, the dash was all ripped up from an obvious flathead screwdriver when they were prying the old unit out. Not a very clean install and I'd never go back to BB again. ****ing primitives.

My recent install is very clean, they went over the car with me beforehand noting any scratch marks (none, brand new and they knew it ), and I can't tell at all, minus a few wiring shavings that were left on the floor. It was damn expensive, this is my first after market sound system, but damn do I love it - the LFE makes all the difference in the world, sounds like a home theater in my car.

And this is with stock Limited speakers, which was nice to not have to replace!
    Given that you pick up a complete harness, I'd really recommend this install to anybody. The dash panel is pretty straightforward to remove. With a harness you can do 90% of the work outside of the car. The only part that may be a bit more difficult is running the various accessories (external gps, microphone, displays, aux in, etc). Otherwise, I haven't found an easier car to work on electronically. Subaru even includes a ground in the harness unlike most manufacturers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12