How to install 02-04 Subaru Wrx double/single deck stereo
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on How to install 02-04 Subaru Wrx double/single deck stereo within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Hello everyone, Since i bought my 02 Wrx i've been wanting to upgrade my stereo. Since I couldn't find any ...

How to install 02-04 Subaru Wrx double/single deck stereo

Hello everyone, Since i bought my 02 Wrx i've been wanting to upgrade my stereo. Since I couldn't find any really indepth guides, I figured i'd write one for the forum thats up to date. First you're going to need to need to decide what you want and need, also you're budget. I picked up a JVC KW-AV60BT 6.1 off ebay for 260 bucks with free shipping, and a wiring harness like this. *NEW* SU-8900 SUBARU 1993-UP POW/SPEAK RADIO WIRE HARNESS METRA 70-8901 | eBay
    There are two ways of connecting the wires. First you can use Butt splices, which just crimp the wires together for a pretty decent connection, all you'll need is some pliers and electrical strippers. You can buy them anywhere from lowes to advance auto parts. You won't get as good of a connection as if you would of soldered them together, thats the method I used and going to walk you through.
    Once you have decided on which way you're going to go, and I will strongly suggest you solder the connections, open up your stereo and get out the power supply that plugs in the back of the system. Get the wiring harness you bought for your car and set them next to each other. You may have a few wires you won't use if you car doesn't have features like controller buttons on the steering wheel, or power antenna. Read on each wire what it does, and compare to the color coded harness that goes in the back of your stereo. Just match colors, and colors with stripes and you'll be all good.

Please note, i'm going back and showing you how to take out the stock unit. The pictures are from where I've already installed everything, but it's all the same. I didn't feel like putting the stock stereo back in just for pictures. If you have any questions, feel free to ask and i'll do my best to help you out.
    Last edited by Mikegt92; 10-17-2012 at 09:35 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Ok, once you've got your harness layed out in front of you, preheat your soldering station to about 550-650 depending on what tip you're using.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phone pics 2117.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	108944Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phone pics 2120.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	108945Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phone pics 2122.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	108946

You're going to need to tin Each individual wire, and then solder them together neatly. Make sure you use shrink tubing! Do not use electrical tape, it will slowly start peeling off and then you'll end up shorting you expensive sound system!

Once you're done with that, open up your hood and unplug the black wire to prevent and damage. Undo the two screws under the cup-holder, and gentle pull it out. Then the trim going around the stock system and AC vents needs to be lightly pulled off so you can access the 6 screws holding the stock stereo in. Once you undo the screws, pull the unit out and unplug the antenna, powersupply, and whatever else is plugged in. Take off the mounting brackets on the side, set them aside. Then take of the mounting bracket from the unit you bought, and put the bracket from the stock unit on the new one. You may only be able to get three screws on each side, and that will be enough to hold it in.
    Last edited by Mikegt92; 10-17-2012 at 08:49 AM.

Start off by making sure you've put the correct brackets on the new stereo
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ok 007.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	108950
    Then take out these screws holding the cupholder and trim in.

Name:	phone pics 2138.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	108947
    Carefully take of the trim, it will be a little hard, so a trim removal tool will helpful if you've got one.

Name:	ok 004.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	108949
    Next take out these 6 screws, along with the radio and unplug everything. Be careful so as not to pull from the wire, but from the casing it goes into.

Name:	ok 005.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	108948
    Then plug everything back in, if you have a mic for wireless calling, now would be a good time to put it through the dash and under the steering wheel so you wont have to open it all up again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ok 008.jpg  
    Last edited by Mikegt92; 10-17-2012 at 09:33 AM.

Now that the hard part is done, plug it in and make sure it works, all speakers are on, mic works, and anything else you want to check. When everything is said and done, it should look something like this.

Name:	ok 010.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	108955
    I ran my mic along this door trim, and I think it turned out nicely.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ok 012.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	108954

looks good! ill be installing one eventually, other mods need to happen first

note that "open up your hood and unplug the black wire to prevent and damage" is refering to the negative battery cable

Re: How to install 02-04 Subaru Wrx double/single deck stereo

Thanks, missed that. Was home early from a meeting, and didnt feel like sleeping in..lol so posted this little guide. I'll fix it tonight when I'm not on my phone

Mike

One other thing, even with the stock speakers, I swear the sound is 100% better with a good head unit. It's seriously amazing, I didn't expect such a difference.

What type of soldering iron is that? Looks bad arse.
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

Quote Originally Posted by Mikegt92 View Post
    Thanks, missed that. Was home early from a meeting, and didnt feel like sleeping in..lol so posted this little guide. I'll fix it tonight when I'm not on my phone

Mike

One other thing, even with the stock speakers, I swear the sound is 100% better with a good head unit. It's seriously amazing, I didn't expect such a difference.

hmmm need to get a new one, my speakers suck. need tuneability

It's a Weller, I forget the model number. Can be had for around 150-200 I think. I do a lot of work on electronic boards, and hobbys so I invested in a good soldering station that won't make you want to shoot your face off every time you attempt to use it. Lol

Yeah I don't usually like spend money on cars, but I'm going on vacation and driving 1000 miles, and it will be a nice feature. I'm just glad my wife can drive a stick pretty well, I don't like highway driving very much. You should definitely get a nice stereo and keep your stock one in a box somewhere in case you ever sell it.

Mike

Is that the stock stereo mounting bracket you used? I can't seem to find an OEM one anywhere since there isn't any double-din install kits for the 02-07 imprezas (theres one and it doesn't look correct). Please help!!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.