2012 WRX Audio Upgrade
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2012 WRX Audio Upgrade within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Well, it was requested when I posted in another thread that I do a build log, so here goes... Parts ...

2012 WRX Audio Upgrade

Well, it was requested when I posted in another thread that I do a build log, so here goes...

Parts from svxdc:
    Steering Wheel Controller -

Wire Harness -

Center console aux input adapter -

Parts from me:
    Center Console USB adapter -

Protect those pins with epoxy:

Missing is the post heatshrink photo, just to be doubly sure.

Parts from IA Performance and JL Audio:
    JL Audio C5-650 tweeter in the IA Performance tweeter Pods -

It is hard to tell, but I used CCF on the back side to wedge the tweeters into place. I later clipped the stock connector, leaving enough to return to stock, and soldered onto the JL Audio Speaker wires.

JL Audio C5-650 woofer in a birch baffle:

I wrapped the stock connector in painter's tape then used a piece of deadener to hold it to the door. No photo of that, but I couldn't have a wire dangling around and possibly rattling.

Kicker Wire and Fuse Holder:

Sadly, I ran out of heatshrink, so I used red electrical tape that I had on hand to keep the techflex in place.

Alpine PDX V9:

Pioneer DEH-80PRS:

I need to get better shots of the temporary sub enclosure that I made out of birch. I may end up building a FG enclosure as soon as I sort out some other issues. This is all I have for now:

I had to make a ring because I cracked the birch when installing the hurricane nuts. I think I hit a tiny void and it turned into a HUGE crack. The ring covers the damaged part and then some.

Thank you for looking!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Oh yeah, and my next future mods will be a JDM radio bezel and a Forrester DIN pocket. Sorry, I can't stand that cheap azz Crutchfield supplied dash kit.

Just out of curiosity, why didn't you go for a double din unit?
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Quote Originally Posted by xFalleNx View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why didn't you go for a double din unit?
    Needed active crossovers. Double Din plus a Processor would be close to $2k. This unit was $350, although I hate it with a passion. My wife about freaked when I told her I was close to returning it and going with a double din and a processor.

ETA: I now have a Lunar L450 and a Lunar L100x2 in place of the Alpine PDX V9. The PDX was sold at a substantial loss, but, I will treat it as a lesson learned. Stay away from PDX amplifiers!
    Last edited by gunz4me; 10-05-2012 at 01:59 PM.

Here it is with the Forester DIN pocket:

Just waiting on my JDM radio bezel to arrive!

Looks like you have a great start! What processor do you plan on using?
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

I Support ClubWRX

2012 WRX Audio Upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by gunz4me View Post
    Here it is with the Forester DIN pocket:
    Did you have to do some hacking like I did to get the Forester DIN pocket to work? I had to drill a hole in the radio bracket, then I used black craft foam around the sidesto ensure a snug, rattle-free fit. It turned out great!
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Quote Originally Posted by jd92677 View Post
    Looks like you have a great start! What processor do you plan on using?
    The Pioneer DEH-80PRS is my processor! It does 2 way plus sub and allows for tweaking after the auto-tune process. I decided I will live with its faults, mainly that annoying beep, because nothing will come close to doing what this HU does for $350.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Did you have to do some hacking like I did to get the Forester DIN pocket to work? I had to drill a hole in the radio bracket, then I used black craft foam around the sidesto ensure a snug, rattle-free fit. It turned out great!
    I used the factory holes on the pocket, plumber's strap, and closed cell foam! It looks, umm, "unique". bahahahahahaha

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by gunz4me View Post
    The Pioneer DEH-80PRS is my processor! It does 2 way plus sub and allows for tweaking after the auto-tune process. I decided I will live with its faults, mainly that annoying beep, because nothing will come close to doing what this HU does for $350.

I used the factory holes on the pocket, plumber's strap, and closed cell foam! It looks, umm, "unique". bahahahahahaha
    Nice, looks good. HERE'S MINE.
    I had to dremel mine a bit as well, but it fits great now with no rattles.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

And the trim bezel has arrived:

I need to perform some minor fitment adjustments, but I couldn't be happier with the result.

EDIT: This is as good as it gets

EDIT2: And here it is with a D2 1508. I decided to replace the class ab L100x2 bridged at 4 ohms with the more efficient switching power supply L1500 to give me 500 watts @ 1 ohm.

All I can say, is the way Kenny underrates his Lunar Amplifiers... That L1500 with its 500 rated watts seems like a LOT more power @ 1 ohm than the L100x2 rated at 400 watts bridged to 4 ohms. There is no way there is only 100 watts of difference between those two amplifiers.
    Last edited by gunz4me; 10-15-2012 at 09:15 PM.

that looks pretty good to me.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.