Need aftermarket in-dash navigation recommendations.

This is a discussion on Need aftermarket in-dash navigation recommendations. within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; For my 2011 wrx, thanks!...

Need aftermarket in-dash navigation recommendations.

For my 2011 wrx, thanks!
    Bugeye Mafia #141 Military Militia #007 Hawkeye Alliance #126 The Stink-Eye Mob #92
    03 WRB WRX - Sold
    07 WRB STi - Sold
    11 SWP WRX - Current

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    You really need to play with a few to see which you like the best.

The higher end Alpine and Pioneer units are highly regarded, but you need to play with one to see if you like the interface and response times.

You also need to consider which maps you want. What is the point in spending all that money for sat/nav if you hate the maps it comes with.....Just some of the many options are below:

Garmin
    TomTom
    Google Maps
    NAVTEQ (What Alpine uses)
    Tele Atlas (What Pioneer uses)
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

I am going with a 2012 DNX9990HD. I currently have in my 05 WRX an AVIC-Z130BT which I am selling, if you are interested. Used for 6 months. I love it, just getting a new car, figured I would splurge. In good condition too.

EDIT * As Demon said, its a Pioneer.

You really need to play with a few to see which you like the best.

The higher end Alpine and Pioneer units are highly regarded, but you need to play with one to see if you like the interface and response times.

You also need to consider which maps you want. What is the point in spending all that money for sat/nav if you hate the maps it comes with.....Just some of the many options are below:
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX View Post
    Garmin
    TomTom
    Google Maps
    NAVTEQ (What Alpine uses)
    Tele Atlas (What Pioneer uses)
    + 1 for google maps hey demon do you know if alpine has google maps?

I Support ClubWRX
    Is the navigation aspect the most important factor to you? If so, there is only one choice:
    Kenwood

Kenwood utilizes the Garmin interface, which is #1 in the business for a reason.

I'm not a fan of Alpine navigation, but their sound quality is probably the best of the "big three" (especially when you pair their unit with the Imprint processor). Pioneer is more of a middle-of-the-road type option; offering solid everything, but nothing really stands out. Not to say Kenwood will make your stereo sound crappy, it just focuses its efforts towards the navigation side, similar to Alpine focusing its efforts towards the SQ side.

There used to be a company that would include a detachable TomTom device as part of the receiver (for some reason, I want to say Eclipse). That would be another viable option, if navigation is your main concern, but I have no experience with Eclipse units, just TomTom (which I don't like as much as Garmin, but prefer over other navigation units).
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I've never gone wrong with anything Pioneer really. But, I would agree that you should try a few out and see how you like them. Little things can be deal breakers when you spend a lot of money like that. Well, at least for me they can be.
    To the face!
    04' Stage 2 WRX | Premium Silver. Premium Sex.

I Support ClubWRX
    Ya know what is a real slap in the face, and kick in the balls......the factory navi unit for 2011 (which I have) is made by Kenwood....big ol' sticker on the unit when you take it out.....and NO ****ING GARMIN!!!!!
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by frenziedcage View Post
    + 1 for google maps hey demon do you know if alpine has google maps?
    Not that I see....at least the high end ones all seem to use NAVTEQ maps

It looks like many of them can now interface with google maps locations.....like the Pioneer units...seems that they have some way of importing info from google maps, though they are not actually using the google map
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

I Support ClubWRX
    I run a Pioneer H/U (AVH-P4200DVD) in my car. I'm perfectly happy with it. I bought it at EOL in 2010 for $350 shipped off Amazon, and it doesn't have a navigation interface. If I need to use navigation, I pull out my Android and use Google...

Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX
    Ya know what is a real slap in the face, and kick in the balls......the factory navi unit for 2011 (which I have) is made by Kenwood....big ol' sticker on the unit when you take it out.....and NO ****ING GARMIN!!!!!
    You want some aloe for that burn?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX View Post
    Not that I see....at least the high end ones all seem to use NAVTEQ maps
    Bummer, lol I use my android for navigation since with android you get free navigation. I just cant fathom giving up a 6 disc changer for a mp3/xm radio. I'm old school like that I still prefer to use CD'S lol.

I Support ClubWRX
    Most of the newer (2012) Pioneer head unit have "App Mode", where you can mirror your Android or iPhone display onto the screen. It's compatible with most of the major nav apps on both platforms, although it's pickier about what Android phones it works with (I think most HDMI phones are ok). You still control the app from the phone, but it's great for displaying maps and directions.

The really high-high head unit offers "advanced app mode" where you control everything from the head unit, and has a nicer multi-touch screen to facilitate that. With that, you can pinch to zoom, swipe, and do everything you could on your phone, just on the head unit. Again, this is only fully compatible with a handfull of apps, but Pioneer seems to be making a good effort at adding more.

This seems like the perfect solution since my phone can offer 50x better nav than any factory or even stand-alone nav unit thanks to the data connection. Plus, your maps are always up to date.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    You want some aloe for that burn?
    yes....and some ice for the marbles
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

Does anyone know of any current model head units that use Google Maps? I'd be interested to see one.

Sent from my Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2
    2013 WRX Sedan DGM

-Paul

I Support ClubWRX
    The only ones that come to mind off the top of my head are the 'Knight Rider' and pending Rayden android units

Amazon.com: Knight Rider - 7 Inch Android 2.3 Car DVD with 3g Internet (Wifi, Gps, Dvb-t): Car Electronics

DV621 | ceoutlook.com
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8