02 WRX - MTX Subs + Audio Upgrade
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

This is a discussion on 02 WRX - MTX Subs + Audio Upgrade within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Hey guys, I plan on installing a whole new sound system in my bugeye. From some research, it seems that ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    11

    Smile 02 WRX - MTX Subs + Audio Upgrade

    Hey guys, I plan on installing a whole new sound system in my bugeye. From some research, it seems that people mostly upgrade the "Big 3" which include head unit, amp and sub. Found some great subs online, they are the MTX 1200 Watt Terminators. My understanding is that I should get an amp that is big enough, thus at least a 1000 Watt amp. Now, I would also like to upgrade the stereo and head unit. There are a few that are decent and do the job.

    My main issue is will my alternator be strong enough to handle this new system? I would like to know before I break stuff in my car, would rather get a new alternator and battery if required than to fry the ones I have now.

    I am open to recommendations, my budget for this upgrade is around $400.

    Thanks!

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User scarmack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Sharpsville, PA
    Posts
    810
    You should be fine. Not like you'll be pushing two 15's and a bunch of other stuff, you have a pretty simple set up.
    2012 Limited Black Pearl WRX
    My Build to Destruction
    52 Week Project

  4. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by scarmack View Post
    You should be fine. Not like you'll be pushing two 15's and a bunch of other stuff, you have a pretty simple set up.
    Awesome, wanted to make sure before buying everything first.

    Do you guys think I should just pay some professionals to do the installation, or attempt to do them my self?

  5. #4
    Registered User scarmack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Sharpsville, PA
    Posts
    810
    Quote Originally Posted by ExternalUse View Post
    Awesome, wanted to make sure before buying everything first.

    Do you guys think I should just pay some professionals to do the installation, or attempt to do them my self?
    I'd say do it yourself, but if you are not comfortable or confident with it, it will cost you more to have someone else fix your mistakes
    2012 Limited Black Pearl WRX
    My Build to Destruction
    52 Week Project

  6. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    80
    I Support ClubWRX
    You do not need a 1000 watt amp to properly run that sub. 250 - 500 watts RMS will do just fine. I highly recommend JL Audio 10W6V3 2 Ohm sub for deep solid bass response.
    2015 WRX - Crystal Black Silca
    Too new for mods.

  7. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by 1oldman View Post
    You do not need a 1000 watt amp to properly run that sub. 250 - 500 watts RMS will do just fine. I highly recommend JL Audio 10W6V3 2 Ohm sub for deep solid bass response.
    Interesting, would you mind explaining why? Someone mentioned that I needed a 1000 watt amp if I got a 1000 watt sub, so I am unclear. Here is a link to the deal that amazon is having, which I am interested in buying.

  8. #7
    Registered User scarmack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Sharpsville, PA
    Posts
    810
    There goes all your trunk space haha.
    2012 Limited Black Pearl WRX
    My Build to Destruction
    52 Week Project

  9. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by scarmack View Post
    There goes all your trunk space haha.
    Haha, that's true... but I rarely have anything to take anywhere. It's nice to have a good sound system since I am so used to my computer's sound! I just don't want to fry anything before hand.

  10. #9
    Registered User scarmack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Sharpsville, PA
    Posts
    810
    Once my funds agree with me, I'll be putting in the stealth box, tucks nicely in the corner and gives plenty of kick when needed. While still maintaining full trunk space.
    2012 Limited Black Pearl WRX
    My Build to Destruction
    52 Week Project

  11. #10
    Master Baiter EJ257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On a stream bank somewhere
    Posts
    19,661
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ExternalUse
    Interesting, would you mind explaining why? Someone mentioned that I needed a 1000 watt amp if I got a 1000 watt sub, so I am unclear. Here is a link to the deal that amazon is having, which I am interested in buying.
    What is the effective RMS rating for them? Peak means jack...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

    Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

    "Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

    UNYSOC

  12. #11
    Registered User scarmack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Sharpsville, PA
    Posts
    810
    2012 Limited Black Pearl WRX
    My Build to Destruction
    52 Week Project

  13. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    What is the effective RMS rating for them? Peak means jack...
    Great question. I couldn't find it on Amazon, so I looked at the manufacturer's. Here, they say each sub is about 200 W RMS, for a total of 400W.

    Thanks.

  14. #13
    Master Baiter EJ257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On a stream bank somewhere
    Posts
    19,661
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ExternalUse
    Great question. I couldn't find it on Amazon, so I looked at the manufacturer's. Here, they say each sub is about 200 W RMS, for a total of 400W.

    Thanks.
    So you want an amp that puts out ~400W RMS. 300-500 would work.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

    Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

    "Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

    UNYSOC

  15. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    So you want an amp that puts out ~400W RMS. 300-500 would work.
    Awesome. How about replacing the alternator, will that be necessary in this setup? Doesn't seem so...

  16. #15
    Master Baiter EJ257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On a stream bank somewhere
    Posts
    19,661
    I Support ClubWRX
    Not at all.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

    Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

    "Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

    UNYSOC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •