02 WRX - MTX Subs + Audio Upgrade - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on 02 WRX - MTX Subs + Audio Upgrade within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Originally Posted by ExternalUse Interesting, would you mind explaining why? Someone mentioned that I needed a 1000 watt amp if ...

I Support ClubWRX

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ExternalUse View Post
    Interesting, would you mind explaining why? Someone mentioned that I needed a 1000 watt amp if I got a 1000 watt sub, so I am unclear. Here is a link to the deal that amazon is having, which I am interested in buying.
    The designation of 1000 watts is basically an advertising gimmick. It designates that the sub can handle a maximum burst of 1000 watts. Not 1000watts RMS, it's RMS rating is probably more like 300-400 WRMS. To effectively drive the sub for maximum volume you probably need less than 50 watts RMS. You only need max power for exceptionally low frequency bursts of 30Hz or less.
    By the way you cannot hear a frequency tone of 30Hz or below inside the car due to the length of the sign wave being greater than 20 feet.
    2015 WRX - Crystal Black Silca
    Cobb Axess Tuner -- Coming- BrenTuning ECU Solutions
    Pioneer NEX 4000, Alpine PDX 9V, JL Audio C5 650 front /rear components, JL Audio 10TW1-4: 10-inch Subwoofer, Axxess ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Control Adapter

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 1oldman View Post
    The designation of 1000 watts is basically an advertising gimmick. It designates that the sub can handle a maximum burst of 1000 watts. Not 1000watts RMS, it's RMS rating is probably more like 300-400 WRMS. To effectively drive the sub for maximum volume you probably need less than 50 watts RMS. You only need max power for exceptionally low frequency bursts of 30Hz or less.
    By the way you cannot hear a frequency tone of 30Hz or below inside the car due to the length of the sign wave being greater than 20 feet.
    Thanks for clearing it up in such detail... should have paid more attention in my classes ><

Know of any good guides that'll baby me through this installation? Preferably something you guys have used before, instead of linking to random ones found online

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.