Line out converter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Line out converter within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I have a 2012 wrx and Im wanting to add my subwoofers to my stock HU. Does anyone know where ...

Line out converter

I have a 2012 wrx and Im wanting to add my subwoofers to my stock HU. Does anyone know where i can tap into to the a line out converter?

Another thing, if I replace my HU will my steering wheel controls work?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Mine are tapped into the front speakers.

Bluetooth and steering wheel controls will not work if you replace the HU with one that doesn't support those features (which are very expensive).

Ok. I figured that. What wires goes go where? Like which are the front left front right so on & so forth.
    A car is only as good as its driver

I just did the a few days ago with my bazooka tube from my old car. I tapped into the rear speakers IIRC the right (passenger) was green/black and green/white and the left (driver) was red/black and red/white. However the signal has no balls so I'm waiting on a line driver to boost the signal a couple volts.

What you mean? It still didn't sound good even after that?

It has no volume and I think the stock head unit cuts out bass as the volume gets too high to protect your speakers. Its also lost at low volumes, but that's natural of bass. The stock signal isn't at preamp levels, so to boost the signal slightly would allow for good response without having to ramp the gain up to max and distort the sound.

The line driver is in the mail so I don't k ow what it sounds like yet. Bazooka tubes aren't the loudest in the world but at the moment its about half as loud as it was when I had the RCA bass out connection. Either that or the harmonics of this car differ from my old car.

Wow for all that I mines well get an aftermarket headunit. I didn't have that problem in my other car.

Get an aftermarket HU if you dont mind losing steering wheel function. Tapping into the front speaker lines will give you crap sound quality. A subwoofer is not meant to see high frequency input.

So tapping into the rear is better?

No. That is the same thing. You are sending a full range of frequencies to a speaker that is only meant to reproduce very low end frequencies. Some amplifiers have a cutoff switch that only sends bass frequencies to the speaker. I find that those cut offs are not very effective. You will get much better sound quality out of a dedicated subwoofer out. All that being said if it is a deal killer to lose your steering wheel controls is is possible to tap into the rear speakers lines. I have done it and it will work, just a much lesser sound quality.

I'll take the lesser sound quality for now. Anything is better than the stock sound I'm sure. Where us the easier place to tap into the rear speakers?

Behind the head unit. Are you using an amplifier? If you are, do you already have the speaker wire to RCA adapter device?

Yea I have an amp. I had the same set up in my old car and it was fine.

I Support ClubWRX
    use a hi-low converter when you tap into the speakers, itll help cut down on hi frequency signals going to your 2 channel.
    '12 STi stage 2

Origin GT = impretzel
    Bf4

-JJ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast