2011 WRX after market radio

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX after market radio within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I been looking all around and can't seem to find the answers I am looking for. I have a 2011 ...

2011 WRX after market radio

I been looking all around and can't seem to find the answers I am looking for. I have a 2011 wrx limited hatch. I want to put in a kenwood navigation unit but I don't want to have to redo everything. Am I able to keep the stock usb and aux ports in the center console, All steering wheel controls, including phone buttons, keep the factory hands free microphone? If possible how do I wire everything?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The short answer is no, you can't keep it all. You can keep the steering wheel audio controls with an adaptor (metra and PAC make them for Kenwood). Bluetooth controls you will lose so it would be beneficial to buy a head unit that has Bluetooth built in (most aftermarket Bluetooth units are better than the oem one anyway) . The usb and aux inputs are tricky. I've seen people wire up the usb but I can't think of where i saw it but a decent unit will have usb inputs. Hope that helps you out a little
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

I just want to use the factory mic for bluetooth. I know I can't use the factory one with a new radio. I know it come with new USB and aux inputs too. I just want to wire them to the factory ones so it's cleaner

Quote Originally Posted by nlc5491 View Post
    I just want to use the factory mic for bluetooth. I know I can't use the factory one with a new radio. I know it come with new USB and aux inputs too. I just want to wire them to the factory ones so it's cleaner
    The usb would take some wiring but can be done, the mic I've never heard of being done before. Without taking the new head unit apart to get to iits mic, im not sure how you could accomplish that.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

I want to figure it out but I would need some wiring diagrams.

No way to use the aux or mic? I don't want to install the mic that come with the new unit. Would look out of place.

If the new head unit comes with an Aux Jack, you could do it for sure, just gotta splice wires WELL... Gotta solder, no crimps or you'll probably get crappy sound. Make sure you shield the wiring too, otherwise you might get interference from other electronics around the cable.

The Mic is the same way, you'll just have to find it in the harness and splice it in. However, many head units keep the mic inside the head unit, and don't have an external mic, so there's nothing to wire to unless you rip apart the head unit... I'm not telling you anymore than that, cause if you screw it up, its gonna be on your own, I ain't helpin'!