Head unit that dims with cluster.

This is a discussion on Head unit that dims with cluster. within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Picking up a 2011 Limited tomorrow, it has the factory navi system and I am wanting to replace it with ...

Head unit that dims with cluster.

Picking up a 2011 Limited tomorrow, it has the factory navi system and I am wanting to replace it with a unit that has usb and aux inputs. I am wondering if anyone knows of one that will tie in the factory dash/cluster dim switch as I have a particular pet peeve for bright displays at night.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

just check for the orange wire on the wiring harness off the back of the unit you buy. my pioneer double din had one and im pretty sure that most are going to come with it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremydingeman
    just check for the orange wire on the wiring harness off the back of the unit you buy. my pioneer double din had one and im pretty sure that most are going to come with it.
    This.

My Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD dims with the headlights. I can't remember what color the wire is, but it may be orange.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Why pay more for a vehicle with Navi and then immediately replace it?

Also, there are USB and aux inputs in the center console. Or do you need them on the unit itself?
    I never use mine, since I stream everything over BlueTooth

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by calisonic View Post
    Picking up a 2011 Limited tomorrow, it has the factory navi system and I am wanting to replace it with a unit that has usb and aux inputs. I am wondering if anyone knows of one that will tie in the factory dash/cluster dim switch as I have a particular pet peeve for bright displays at night.

Thanks!
    Most modern aftermarket head units will dim with the cluster, regardless of manufacturer. My 6 year old Pioneer deck does. You do need to turn on that feature in the settings though, so if you wire it up and it doesn't work right away, that could be why. That would all depend on the brand you go with though.

I do recommend Pioneer. Good quality sound and trouble-free hardware.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    As everyone has been stated, nearly all HU's dim with the cluster, just follow the wiring diagram and you will be golden.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

dont mean to hijack the thread, but since this is about HU's, I am looking at the Kenwood DNX7190HD Navigation receiver.. anyone have any problems?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance1218
    dont mean to hijack the thread, but since this is about HU's, I am looking at the Kenwood DNX7190HD Navigation receiver.. anyone have any problems?
    People interested in Kenwood have navigation as their most important reason for buying one, since it utilizes the Garmin interface. Sound quality is good, but is not up there with Alpine.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilTwinf0f1
    Why pay more for a vehicle with Navi and then immediately replace it?
    Because I've yet to see a factory navigation interface I like more than Garmin or TomTom. Sometimes you buy the stock navigation interface for other reasons (e.g., upgrades speakers).
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Well, it was actually the cheapest 2011 in the area. Used, 13k miles and owner actually works for Subaru corporate here in Orlando, very meticulous guy with his cars.

Also it looks like I'll be keeping the navi since it also has system options in it like the headlight delay and alarm options, and it does dim with the dash lights. For usb I can use a cigarette adapter as I would only use it to charge devices. Mine only has red yellow white av inputs and a cigarette in the center console.

Also the navigation head unit is not listed in the manual, does anyone know how the equalizer works ?
    it has 4 band, which you can alter each in their respective ranges, then a "Q" setting for each that goes from values of .25 to 2 and then the gain. (I'm thinking maybe its the spread across selected frequency?)

So looks like I will actually be looking to upgrade just the speakers. I've got the interiors covered, I was hoping for some assistance on procuring and installing a factory sub/amp or aftermarket custom fit (if someone knows of any), as I'd like to keep the factory looks.

Thanks all very much.
    Last edited by calisonic; 07-21-2012 at 10:16 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    You should talk to Tony (Rage-wrx) on here. IIRC, he uses the factory head unit with ONE OF THESE.

He's happy with it, and I thought he had a thread around here about it, but you'll have to ask him.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth