Replacing Speakers
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Replacing Speakers within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Hi everyone, I'm looking to replace the interior speakers in the car for something with less distortion cause I like ...

Replacing Speakers

Hi everyone, I'm looking to replace the interior speakers in the car
    for something with less distortion cause I like loud music, any suggestions!?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Easiest way is to add power to your OE speakers (many people add a H/U), and to get a subwoofer to take care of the lows, while the speakers deal with the mids/highs. You don't need to go crazy with the subwoofer; 300W is more than suitable for the task of having your music loud enough to jam to, while not subjecting everyone else around you to it.

Try that for a while. If that isn't sufficient, then start looking into a set of 6.5" components to go in the front doors, and an amplifier to power them. A popular setup (and one I run) is to pick up a 4- or 5-channel amp, and run the front speakers of Ch 1/2, and bridge the rest for the sub, leaving the stock speakers powered by the H/U. Since they're just fill, and can ruin your staging, most people either leave the rears stock or pull them completely. If you buy a mono amp for the subwoofer, just sell it for a slight discount once you get the 4-/5-channel one.

As for the speaker brand, that's very subjective. Your best bet is to hit up a local audio store with a wide variety of music you'd listen to. Listen to your music on all their display options, and choose the one that fits your ear best.
    Last edited by EJ257; 07-11-2012 at 03:44 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    As for the speaker brand, that's very subjective. Your best bet is to hit up a local audio store with a wide variety of music you'd listen to. Listen to your music on all their display options, and choose the one that fits your ear best.
    X2, that is very sound advice. While speakers will generally sound different when installed in a vehicle, if there is something you can't stand on the sound board, such as an overly bright or harsh tweeter, chances are you won't be able to stand it in your vehicle.

get focal! I have them in my cummins with memphis subs. Sounds excellent.
    2012 SWP 5door Premium!!!

So, Ive done some shopping and seen a few places about some speakers and subs,
    I'm not looking for a whole lotta bass, but I do need that Punch! from my harder rock songs,
    my old car sounded like the band was in my car LOL. One place recommend
    these memphis speakers which i dont know much about, and a digital design sub, also another
    one i havent heard much about.if anyone has any info on these please let me know i havent found much. If anyone has any recommendations on speakers for rock and some rap
    let me know also. Thank you!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Which Memphis speakers are you looking at? I have Memphis 15-MC6202 in all 4 doors and love them.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX View Post
    Which Memphis speakers are you looking at? I have Memphis 15-MC6202 in all 4 doors and love them.

yea those ones actually, do they have some punch to them for harder rock/rap?

I Support ClubWRX
    They do have some punch to them, but, due to the crossovers that come with them, the low bass is removed to protect the speakers. They sound great, but you will need a sub for the deeper harder hitting bass lines.

Note that the removal of the bass from the door speakers is not a bad thing....these are mids, not subs.....they were not designed to hit hard low. Allowing hard hitting low bass in mids is what causes distortion and blown speakers.

The above being said, with the stock head unit and those speakers only (no amps or a sub...yet), if I turn up the volume on a hard rock or rap song, all three mirrors vibrate enough to make images fizzy, and you can feel the vibrations throughout most of the car.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

Yea, I'm not looking for that Low bass, I just like that punch to the bass drum and bass guitar for my rock songs, I do like my rap, but subs will come later on.

I Support ClubWRX
    Well, the definitely have punch. for example, I listen to bands like Tool, Primus, Portishead, and Rage Against The Machine (all are heavy on the bass) with full clear hard hitting sound.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

did you get an amp too?

I Support ClubWRX
    Currently no, all I have currently are the 4 Memphis speakers and the stock navi HU. I am planning on an amp and a signal processor and a 10" sub, just have not gotten around to them yet.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.