Subaru WRX Forum banner

anyone have a avic x940bt installed?

7K views 32 replies 10 participants last post by  Heide264 
#1 ·
I just got a sweet deal on it and want to know if anyone is running these in their 2010 rex. Pros, cons, and all around experience from install to functionality.

#4 · (Edited)
i just installed mine this weekend. makes a HUGE difference in sound quality compared to the stock deck. i was thinking abut getting replacement speakers, but am going to use the cash elsewhere. this deck comes with built in gps. comes with a little box like antena which i mounted on top of dash. from what i read, the antenna has been mounted on the deck before and gives no problems with reception, but i chose to go the on dash route. i eneded up getting mines for $594 shipped off of ebay, no refurb, brand new with 1 yr warranty. ended up paying bout $660 shipped for a pac swi-ps, mounting kit w harness, and deck. did install myself cause i dont like stereo shops which use electrical tape and dont trust anyone doing my sh!t

#5 ·
I agree that it makes a huge difference in sound quality. I feel like my door speakers were buzzing and almost sounded blown with the stock deck but now they sound awesome. I just placed the GPS antenna on top of the deck and I get about 8-9 sats all the time. I also installed XM so I placed that receiver under the passenger seat and the XM antenna under the dash by the clock. I got mine brand new off ebay for $480. The seller was local so I just went and picked it up. I got the correct 7 inch dash trim from the local dealer for 63 with tax and then the wire harness and the Metra Axxess on Amazon for $50.

#7 ·
I have the 90bt. (it's a previous generation). I'd probably buy something else. A lot of bugs. If the 940 is bug free, then go for it.

#11 ·
Ok guys i hope i can get a response out of this. But, i just ordered a x940bt and i already ordered the jdm double din bezel. i know i need to get a adapter for the steering wheel controls, but are there a lot of units out there and what is best? also i would want to do the e brake bypass has anyone done this? Where did you get the kit and how easy was it to install. And last but not least what else would i need or would you recommend i get. Thanks

#12 ·
Check out ae64.com for the harness and steering wheel control details. I just used a generic bypass off of eBay.

#16 ·
As I said, read ae64.com for the one that applies to your situation.

Was the install difficult?
With the harness made up, the install is unusually easy. Even the dash bezel is easy to get off surprisingly.

#14 ·
i am searching for all of the things i will need and i am still having trouble. on the ae64 site it has 20 pin forward, 20 pin combo, 20 pin reverse and i dont know which one to get. i also and trying to find a good steering control unit that works well anyone recommend a good quality one? i appreciate all the help.

#18 ·
SVXdc is the best. Email him with your specifics and he will get you what you need and no hacking into your wiring. Even the metra access swc all prepped and firmware updated. He is lurking on just about every Subaru site with all kinds of helpful insight.

#21 ·
I started to wire the harness for the hu up to the ae64 forward harness. The pioneer installation instructions highly recommends hooking up the pink vehicle speed wire and I can't see anything to connect it too. Where and what do I hook this up to, or do I not need too.

#25 ·
I don't think I had a vehicle speed wire on my pioneer. Sorry.

You should read around a bit and see what it does. I'm not sure of it's functionality, but you may not even want it connected. I'd assume it locks the touchscreen out and / or compensates the volume automatically.

#28 ·
Mine does too. Wtf. Maybe manually programming it would clear it up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.