Does the sound system in the 2012 really suck that bad?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Does the sound system in the 2012 really suck that bad? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Im just wondering, becasue I am in the market for a 2012 wrx and LOVE to have my music sound ...

Does the sound system in the 2012 really suck that bad?

Im just wondering, becasue I am in the market for a 2012 wrx and LOVE to have my music sound good.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

My friends dad has the 2012 sti and its okay, but there is much better. Upgrade it though, for about 500-600 bucks you can have a great sound system! Get the rex!

I Support ClubWRX
    You're not paying for a great stereo system when you buy the WRX/STI. For a little bit of money, you can upgrade it.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I actually think it sound's pretty good. Obviously it could be better but the quality of sound for a stock stereo is good.

yeah, im going to be coming from a dodge cummins with awesome sound system, and its going to be hard. I know im not buying for the sound, but was just wondering how the system, stock sounds.

And I was also lookin at getting the factory sub that will go in the rear of the 5 door. That will help im sure.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny1106
    And I was also lookin at getting the factory sub that will go in the rear of the 5 door. That will help im sure.
    For what you pay, you're going to be disappointed. You can get a better setup for cheaper aftermarket.

$300 for 100W? No thanks...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

If it's anything like the 2011s, you're going to be disappointed. I came from a Dodge Ram and the stock stereo on that vehicle is leagues better than what I have in my rex. Me installing a Nameless didn't do it any favors, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny1106 View Post
    do not get the factory sub! thats what a Subaru tech told me.!!!!!! he siad the speakers in the car are actually good. The downside is the head unit, so start there first.

I Support ClubWRX
    FM and AM suuuuuuuccckk to no end. bluetooth and aux blew me away, sounded like a new radio. i also installed a sub and amp using the factory radio.

I def. noticed how the sound system is really bad on this car ("12 wrx) when I first drove it off the lot from the dealer. My old 03 350z had boss sound system and it sounded much much much much better. Radio is so bad I don't even bother listening to it and the best I can do right now is download 320k sound quality musics and listen through usb.

Currently saving money to buy pioneer p4400bh series

Sterio is terrible, by far the worst I've heard. For a new car. I have a 2012. I'll be replacing everything this weekend. Head unit and all speakers. No woofer.

^^^Thats actually what I'm getting haha

Dont touch the speakers until you change the head unit. No sense in ditching money you dont need to spend. Seriously, with a proper x-over the 6" speakers in the doors are good and crisp down to 100hz without any clarity issues at all.

Add a solid sub, my setup is very simple.. rockford 10" woofer in a audio integrations enclosure and a small kenwood amp. Pioneer head unit (anything over 14w/ch will work nicely) and since mine was a base and didn't have sail panel tweets I bought the panels (under $20 each), put some leftover blaupunct's in them attached to factory wiring.

It sounds great for minimal effort. Seriously, dont bother changing out the door speakers until you change the head unit. You'll be pleasantly surprised when it comes to life with more power.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by zolaman View Post
    I def. noticed how the sound system is really bad on this car ("12 wrx) when I first drove it off the lot from the dealer. My old 03 350z had boss sound system and it sounded much much much much better. Radio is so bad I don't even bother listening to it and the best I can do right now is download 320k sound quality musics and listen through usb.

Currently saving money to buy pioneer p4400bh series
    Ha I thought the 350z had a horrible system in it. For one the noise adjustment feature was garbage. For two, the subwoofer behind the seat was one of the dumbest places, and most underpowered things there was.

But yeah in Subarus...start with the head unit. Like most cars, it's the weakest link.

Quote Originally Posted by scarmack View Post
    Sterio is terrible, by far the worst I've heard. For a new car. I have a 2012. I'll be replacing everything this weekend. Head unit and all speakers. No woofer.

^^^Thats actually what I'm getting haha
    Yeah the previous owner of my STI yanked everything out. Added a new Alpine HU and Focal components amped from a JL amp. It sounds amazing over anything stock. Focals are some of the best out there too, so that's one of the reasons I went for this STI when I found it

Why no woofer?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    This is highly subjective...some people will approve of their OEM system in a car because it's able to be turned up loud. I'm on the snobby end of this kind of thing, though I wouldn't categorize myself as an actual "audiophile"...in 30 years of driving, I've yet to buy a new car and be happy with the stereo. Nothing that better speakers and HU can't fix.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.