Does the sound system in the 2012 really suck that bad? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Does the sound system in the 2012 really suck that bad? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; After a week with my 2012 WRX, I can also confirm the stock system is horrid. That's not including the ...

After a week with my 2012 WRX, I can also confirm the stock system is horrid. That's not including the vibrating I hear somewhere in the front door(s). Will be replacing the HU and speakers most likely.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by free2be4ever7 View Post
    FM and AM suuuuuuuccckk to no end. bluetooth and aux blew me away, sounded like a new radio. i also installed a sub and amp using the factory radio.
    I somewhat agree. FM and AM seriously suck! The aux sounds waaaaay better, but it still sucks. Overall, the sound system in this thing is not that great.

Quote Originally Posted by zolaman View Post
    I def. noticed how the sound system is really bad on this car ("12 wrx) when I first drove it off the lot from the dealer. My old 03 350z had boss sound system and it sounded much much much much better. Radio is so bad I don't even bother listening to it and the best I can do right now is download 320k sound quality musics and listen through usb.

Currently saving money to buy pioneer p4400bh series
    The FM/AM on the stock HU, for me, sounds pretty bad. Compared to listening to a CD, I have to turn the volume up by 50% for it to actually be the same volume. Irritating when switching between media. The CD clarity doesn't sound too bad to me... if you like lots of treble. 'Cause that's all you get (which I guess is where the "tin can" comments come from). Turning the bass up just seems to distort everything.

I looked into this Pioneer HU and it looks really nice. Couldn't find answers to my concerns on the interwebs though. If I change the HU, will the steering wheel controls still work? What about the Bluetooth phone connectivity - will the HU still hook up to the car's microphone? Rendering some controls useless on a brand new car just doesn't sound appealing to me .

Anybody know?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mru77 View Post
    I do not mean to hijack this thread..My apologies...
    Can anybody let me know if 2011-2012 WRX/STi navigation HU can be a direct fitment to a base WRX? All the buttons and functions would work?
    It will if you get this harness OEM Kenwood Navi Transplant Harness for Subaru Impreza and Forester
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I'm getting the pioneer video unit tomorrow what else should I get? The subs from the subaru store or a small box?

I don't think I'd get anything from a dealership when it comes to sound. You can get better and for less cost if you go aftermarket
    2012 WRB WRX Sedan ...
    BPanda Build
    ...On order since 5/14/2012
    ...Picked up on 6/29/2012

Just bought a sti 2 weeks ago and came with the pioneer navi system....Sounds great and no problems so far...no sub woofer add on loud enough for what i like....holds a usb stick and a micro sd card etc...plugs right into my iphone or ipod etc....only thing i don't like is its a long start up/boot process when starting and stopping car....also am trying to unlock it so i can play videos/movies while driving....haven't looked into it that much...Navi system is handy and pretty accurate so far as well....just my 2 cents worth...

This is the third WRX I've owned and this is by far the absolute worst sounding system of the three. Kinda pathetic really. This is where companies should realize that skimping on something so blatently does everyone (manufacturer and customer) a disservice. Just add 50 bucks to the base price of the car and maintain a quality soundsystem.

It doesn't bother me that much though since I'm not a huge audio freak.
    Indy Racing League - The answer to a question nobody asked.

They probably won't spend more on the audio system simply for the fact that if someone really wants a better sounding set up, they are gonna yank the stock system anyway for aftermarket. So why waste company money?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13
    They probably won't spend more on the audio system simply for the fact that if someone really wants a better sounding set up, they are gonna yank the stock system anyway for aftermarket. So why waste company money?
    '04 STIs came sans headunit for this reason.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I disagree. Sure the audiophiles and bass freaks are going to swap out the stock system no matter what, but the majority of owners dont want to go through the hassle of swapping it out. Nobody is happy with the stock system and that is a problem that should be addressed. It'd be one thing if we were still in the 80's, but this is 2012 where even pickup trucks have legitimate sounding systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Harrison View Post
    I disagree. Sure the audiophiles and bass freaks are going to swap out the stock system no matter what, but the majority of owners dont want to go through the hassle of swapping it out. Nobody is happy with the stock system and that is a problem that should be addressed. It'd be one thing if we were still in the 80's, but this is 2012 where even pickup trucks have legitimate sounding systems.
    Definitely agree with this.

Argue with me all you want, but I had zero plans to touch the sound system of my car.....a double din w/ nav unit later, I'm happy with how it sounds, even on stock speakers.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Quote Originally Posted by xFalleNx View Post
    Definitely agree with this.

Argue with me all you want, but I had zero plans to touch the sound system of my car.....a double din w/ nav unit later, I'm happy with how it sounds, even on stock speakers.
    That's me, too. I like my music, but I didn't buy this car caring about what sound came out of the speakers. But I couldn't really imagine how bad it really was. As much as I absolutely love the bluetooth integration and feature set of the stock unit, I question my loyalty...
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."
    -Van Helsing, from Bram Stoker's ​Dracula

I Support ClubWRX
    Somehow Subaru were able to put a good sound system & include a subwoofer as standard with the 2012 Forester XTs.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I bought the car with the plan to change out the sound system. For the money, I didn't expect very much. It is an economy car, still, as a baseline.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast