Does the sound system in the 2012 really suck that bad? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Does the sound system in the 2012 really suck that bad? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; ^ this.. Ray, you need to bring your fav disks and hop into my car at CF.. you'd be pleased ...

^ this..

Ray, you need to bring your fav disks and hop into my car at CF.. you'd be pleased with what I managed to pull off with a HU, small amp and a leftover sub and tweets
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I dunno. I've owned many cars over the years and I'm nowhere near anal about stereo systems...the second I turned on the HU on my rex, I was like "WTF??" It's like I'm actually listening to music over shortwave radio. Streaming via BT is nowhere near as bad, sound-wise, though, but with the radio and ipod/iphone, something ain't right with the stock HU. I've heard people stated on this and other Subaru forums that once they replaced the HU, they had much more pleasing frequencies coming through the speakers. I've heard others state that it's an issue with passive crossovers on the door speakers. Again, I don't know what it is.

I don't think it's subjective to state that there's something wrong with how the sound is being implemented, but unless you're a stereo engineer, it's going to be difficult to quantify stereo complaints. There's something not quite right with the frequencies coming of the speakers. Low frequencies appear to be regulated, unless you have an OEM sub...but you shouldn't have to have a sub to have decent sound coming from the speakers.
    Last edited by NoVASTi; 05-24-2012 at 11:15 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm an Ex-audiophile. The 2006 was horrible out of the box, I would have preferred they would have kept the stereo honestly. I bought a new HU on recommendations from here (before diving into speakers) and it helped significantly, but I dont even put the face on my stereo anymore.

The road noise is loud, the wind noise is loud, the tranny noise is loud, the turbo noise is loud and the deceleration noise is loud. For me to be happy with it, I would have to rip out the carpet, door panels and headliner and sound deaden like crazy. Then buy a new HU (mine is now 6 years old), 2 amps, 3 way separates front and rear and a sub. Then I'm not convinced in the power of my alternator, so that would have to go in favor of a better unit, battery would either have to be upsized or a second one added, and at the end of the day I'm at least $2500 into it and 20 hours of labor.

So I leave it alone. I got used to riding the MC with no tunes so it doesn't bother me anymore.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

The factory head unit isn't a terrible quality unit, it produces a nice clean pre-amp signal.. but the amplifier is TINY.. and not fit for driving the speakers that come in the car.

I've seen factory head units coupled to signal processors and external amps and sound quite good.

Its easier to just replace the hu though.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Mango any thoughts on the Pioneer AVIC-X940BT?
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by NoVASTi View Post
    I don't think it's subjective to state that there's something wrong with how the sound is being implemented, but unless you're a stereo engineer, it's going to be difficult to quantify stereo complaints. There's something not quite right with the frequencies coming of
    If you have no data, and a control for comparison, then it's subjective.

Sorry... Habit from being an engineer in design and production environments. "This product is bad!" is meaningless. "This product is 0.048" out on the depth dimension!" is helpful info. Yeah, I know...my wife thinks I'm a pain in the ass, too.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    .my wife thinks I'm a pain in the ass, too.
    Mine too.

Does she ever use the phrase "I'm not stupid!", or "Don't talk to me like I'm dumb?!" After you have explained something.... Mine does....I don't get it.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny1106 View Post
    Does the stock stereo really suck that bad?
    It's actually worse than you can imagine. I have the stock stereo in my 09'. There are no highs, now lows, the mids are bland, it is the opposite of sounding crisp. From what I've heard the upgraded stereo you can get from Subaru isn't any good either.

I pretty much only listen to AM talk radio now because it's hard to enjoy music on this stereo.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Harrison View Post
    There are no highs, now lows, the mids are bland, it is the opposite of sounding crisp..
    ^^ THIS!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny1106 View Post
    And I was also lookin at getting the factory sub that will go in the rear of the 5 door. That will help im sure.
    The stock stereo is horrible. I came from an 09 gti. The Rex stock stereo was so bad until I got my rear oem kicker sub installed( had to wait for them to get it in after I picked up car) It did exactly what I was looking for. It frees up the front speakers taking all the bass to the sub. My cousin has the sedan and just heard my sub the other day. He was impressed. I did get mine for a steal though IMO $360OTD including installation. I feel it was well worth it. I typically roll around with the sub at -6 level and if I want to drop bass take it to 0 or so. I'm not a crazy stereo person but I do enjoy listening to clean/clear undistorted music.
    11 SWP LMTD Hatch SPT Exhaust, Kartboy STS w/ Bushings, 30% Tint, Red tails, Stage 1 TP Tune

Quote Originally Posted by free2be4ever7 View Post
    FM and AM suuuuuuuccckk to no end. bluetooth and aux blew me away, sounded like a new radio. i also installed a sub and amp using the factory radio.
    +1

If you're not going to use the FM or AM, you probably aren't going to notice how bad it is.
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."
    -Van Helsing, from Bram Stoker's ​Dracula

I Support ClubWRX
    FM and AM...radio? You young guys crack me up. I haven't listened to broadcast radio in my DD's in over 10 years.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

What better way to get acquainted with traffic and local news, especially with 1+ hour commutes? That's almost essential to commute in the DC metro area. In that regard, XM/Sirius aren't going to cut it and you're not getting news from a phone while you're driving...not through the HU, anyways. Many of the local stations here do music while offering news in music breaks. On my morning commutes, its all business...the quicker I get to work without hitting traffic jams, the better. The same for the commute home. Phone music is for weekends and trips, unfortunately.

Even through AUX, the music sounds like it's being played through a tin can.

Banned
    [QUOTE=NoVASTi;289334

Even through AUX, the music sounds like it's being played through a tin can.[/QUOTE]

+1

Imagine 4 tin cans wired together with dental floss, powered by a 92year old man riding a rusty bicycle, then stick that system under water, and there you have the WRX stereo.

So true haha. Just replaced my HU and door speakers. Sounds so much better.
    2012 Limited Black Pearl WRX
    My Build to Destruction
    52 Week Project

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.