Cheap Subwoofer build...lol.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Cheap Subwoofer build...lol. within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; So I don't know much about car audio...I used to have two 10 inch subs in my car but I ...

Cheap Subwoofer build...lol.

So I don't know much about car audio...I used to have two 10 inch subs in my car but I got rid of them. Too much bass. I was thinking about going with just a 6.5 inch sub...what do ya think? Where can I get a decent 6.5 inch sub and what size amp would I use to power it? Would it even be worth it? Right now I have no bass at all....
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    i have a 12 kicker cvr in a small sealed box and a 1800 watt kenwood amp... i just turned the amp all the way down sounds just right...this system was leftover from a truck i had so i utilized it... speakers have different ratings so just make sure the amp puts out enough rms watts to power the sub and that it is in the right ohm range
    2005 psm sti
    Blobeye Syndicate #2003
    2006 black honda vtx 1300c

"I dont always race wrc, but when i do i prefer subaru"

I Support ClubWRX
    best buy has a lot of sales on audio equip. and they have good advice too to answer your question more directly
    2005 psm sti
    Blobeye Syndicate #2003
    2006 black honda vtx 1300c

"I dont always race wrc, but when i do i prefer subaru"

I Support ClubWRX
    To answer your question you would have to model the response of the driver in a given box and consider frequency extension and output in dB while keeping the Xmax of the driver reasonable and also the power needed etc.

Find a premade ready to go system instead. The driver and box will be matched and you can ask about an amp.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

What two 10s did you have Chris? I have two 10s in my STI right now, JL 10w0's...300 watts running to them and they sound perfect. I can dial it up, and dial it down depending on just how much you want to hear with whatever genre you want to listen to.

To be honest with you, I don't think a 6.5in woofer will adequately reproduce all the necessary bass frequencies you will need to hear to make your music sound "full." I'd honestly at least look for a single 10inch sub.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

Yeah, I'd say at least a real good 8" sub or a quality 10" sealed sub. A 6.5-incher just won't cut it, unless you put it in a huge bandpass box, and that defeats the purpose of a smaller woofer.. You can fit a 10" low-profile sub in the spare tire with a fiberglass box.
    I have a low Reynolds number

TP Stage 1 - 2012 WRX Premium 5-Door SWP
    Pics!

Ok, ill look into a single 10 inch sub then. Im not looking to break the bank either...just something cheap. Hopefully i can find a sub/box/amp combo.
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

My last sub kept ripping out of the cables cause i couldnt figure out how to secure it...thats why i ripped it out and gave it away!
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Quote Originally Posted by lytlec View Post
    My last sub kept ripping out of the cables cause i couldnt figure out how to secure it...thats why i ripped it out and gave it away!
    Get some Velcro tape. Attach the hook side to the bottom of the sub. The carpet will act as the loop side. Job done.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3M_velcro_dual_lock_with_vhb_tape.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	104295

I did that, still didnt work.
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

What did work was when i drilled an L bracket into the box and through the carpet....not even thinking about my spare tire...it stayed in place though...
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

I Support ClubWRX
    A nice 10" subwoofer being powered with 300W would give sufficient bass without being overpowering.

I like the JL W3 series: Moderately priced, 300W is in the sweet spot for powering it. I power mine with 250W, and it provides enough kick to feel it in the seats, but it doesn't make the car rattle outside (there's some deadening to do that would clean up the interior "rattle" a bit, but that would be the case with any subwoofer worth installing).

When you factor in amp, wiring kit, enclosure, and sub, however, you probably will want something cheaper. In that case, look into the Infiniti Basslink II. It's an all-in-one unit, 200W (I believe), and is pretty good for what it is.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    In that case, look into the Infiniti Basslink II. It's an all-in-one unit, 200W (I believe), and is pretty good for what it is.
    FYI, I have a Basslink I, and it was remarkably punchy for its size. Install was pretty easy, and would be cake if you already have the connections in the trunk. Unfortunately, mine seems to have died after just a few weeks of use. I never pushed it hard (less than halfway), so I'm dubious I blew the amp, but I get power on, just no sound. I haven't had time to troubleshoot much, but the numerous reports on blown amps in these things has me a bit worried.

I'm hope it's something on my end, because other than this, it's been great, and I would definitely have recommended it before this, especially since you and I seem to be in the same camp on subs.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambo
    FYI, I have a Basslink I, and it was remarkably punchy for its size. Install was pretty easy, and would be cake if you already have the connections in the trunk. Unfortunately, mine seems to have died after just a few weeks of use. I never pushed it hard (less than halfway), so I'm dubious I blew the amp, but I get power on, just no sound. I haven't had time to troubleshoot much, but the numerous reports on blown amps in these things has me a bit worried.

I'm hope it's something on my end, because other than this, it's been great, and I would definitely have recommended it before this, especially since you and I seem to be in the same camp on subs.
    Where did you install it? I know the Basslink II has a passive radiator to help with cooling; does the Basslink I?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Where did you install it? I know the Basslink II has a passive radiator to help with cooling; does the Basslink I?
    I installed it in the trunk directly in front of the spare tire jack area. It fits nicely in that spot. It does have radiator fins, yes, and the location I have it in allows plenty of airflow. In fact, I did check for heat, and the amp was always cool to the touch. All connections at the amp are fine, and the battery connection is fine, but I haven't gotten around to check the ground and other connections. Like I said, I haven't had a chance to really troubleshoot (been overseas on business last few weeks), so I won't give it a bad review until I determine the root cause. It sounded great though.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast