HD radio.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on HD radio. within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Anyone have HD radio, is it worth having? I've read a lot of reviews complaining about poor reception and just ...

HD radio.

Anyone have HD radio, is it worth having? I've read a lot of reviews complaining about poor reception and just wondering what your personal experience has been. Is there a difference in reception between H/Us with HD built in and ones with the separate HD adapter?

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Depends on your area. Check out what stations are broadcasting HD, whether you listen to them, etc.

The subchannels generally are not worth it except in a few cases - they know people don't listen to them, so they really just don't care yet. The quality on the main channels is often worth the cost by itself.

If you don't listen to radio stations that have an HD stream, it's not worth it.

There should be no difference where the HD tuner is, and in fact since the chips are the same in all HD receivers, there should be almost no difference between brands too.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

I installed a new HU about 2 weeks ago and it came with HD radio built in and I haven't had any problems yet. I don't know if it sounds a whole lot different than a regular HU but I can say it certainly doesn't sound worse. I'm in the Washington, DC area though so maybe I have better reception.
    Boost. It does a body good.

2011 WRB Premium WRX Stage 1 - Cobb AP - Cobb SRI - GrimmSpeed MCB - SMY ClusterMaker Dual Gauge Pod with Prosport Halo Boost and Oil Pressure gauges - Cusco F/R STB - JVC Navi Head Unit - Whiteline 24mm FSB/22mm RSB - Kartboy Endlinks - Kartboy STS + Bushings - 35% tint

Ive got a Pioneer headunit with a built-in HD tuner in my Nissan pickup. I live in rural NC, about 50 miles from Charlotte where most stations are. My HU auto-switches to HD when available, which is intermittent while driving around town. When it comes in, its very clear, near cd quality... 128kbps mp3 give or take. The alternative rock hd2 station here is awesome... "classic alternative" (for lack of a beter word) and NO COMMERCIALS. If signal fades it switches to the standard station which can be annoying.

To sum it up, if you listen to the radio sometimes and get standard stations to come in clear you'll love HD. You wont pick up fringe stations... the signal is not stronger, and like HDTV over the air you either get it or you dont. In my area, its not worth investing any extra for the feature, but it would be nice to have closer to a city.

Sent from my BNTV250 using Tapatalk 2

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Personally...unless you actually listen to regular radio, it may not be worth it. Might be clearer but if the music you're listening to isn't to your pleasure, I wouldn't waste your time.

I love having Sirius radio instead and much more variety.
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! www.kronosperformance.com sales@kronosperformance.com Call/Text 732-742-8837 We Offer a Military Discount
    Our Facebook | Our Twitter | Our Instagram | Our Pinterest
    Our featured brands
    RALLY ARMOR | BC RACING | PERRIN | MISHIMOTO | GRIMMSPEED

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.