Reviews on Pioneer App Mode/ AppRadio?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Reviews on Pioneer App Mode/ AppRadio? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; So I really want a new HU, and I'm mostly pleased with my single DIN Pioneer deck, but I want ...

I Support ClubWRX

Reviews on Pioneer App Mode/ AppRadio?

So I really want a new HU, and I'm mostly pleased with my single DIN Pioneer deck, but I want something wholly integrated with my iPhone (able to display nav, etc). My current HU has no problems playing my iPhone's music via USB (despite being older than the Gen 1 iPhone), and can even manage to control Pandora, weirdly, but the turn by turn nav voice confuses the hell out of it.

I absolutely LOVE the idea of the Pioneer AppRadio, but according to the reviews, it's vary poorly executed. All my music is on my iPhone, so losing a CD player is no big deal, and the tight integration is perfect for what I want to do.

Other Pioneer decks like the AVH-4300 have much better reviews (and I know many of you have this one), but has anyone tried the "App Mode" on these units? I basically just want to display the map/nav data on the screen, and things like Pandora would be great too. What about the Bluetooth models? Bluetooth has always been pretty lousy in ANY car stock or aftermarket, in my experience. Anyone had a good experience?

I've tried going around to several car audio shops, but there just aren't many in my area, and most of them stock Jensen or Dual junk. I really want to try all this out myself, but I haven't found a good shop yet.

Anyone have experience with this?
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Oh, and I'm open to other name brands as well, if they have the sort of functionality I've described above. The only real non-negotiable factor is a rear-usb port, as I've already hardwired USB into the armrest cubby, and I think cords hanging off the front looks tacky.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I Support ClubWRX
    Bump for opinions/reviews...
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    A neat concept, and one that I'd be interested in if the price is right. Looks like the UI is really taking some hits in reviews. Hopefully the have a 2nd iteration that provides what we want!
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I wish someone would do something for Android
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    A neat concept, and one that I'd be interested in if the price is right. Looks like the UI is really taking some hits in reviews. Hopefully the have a 2nd iteration that provides what we want!
    Well, it's $300 on Amazon right now. I'm tempted just to get one, try it out, and if I hate it, return it. I already have a pioneer wiring harness, so it would be basically plug and play.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I wish someone would do something for Android
    The AppRadio 2 is Android compatible and offers full cross-platform support between Android and iOS. Pricy, but if it works well, it offers more functionality than the DVD nav. units for quite a bit cheaper.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Well, it's $300 on Amazon right now. I'm tempted just to get one, try it out, and if I hate it, return it. I already have a pioneer wiring harness, so it would be basically plug and play..
    I'm also in favor of you trying it out. What are you waiting for?
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I Support ClubWRX
    Haha, well I have a business trip coming up in a week, so I'll order one when I get back and throw up a review. Sound good?

My Infinity Basslink is coming today! Not a spectacular setup compared to many on here, but it will be a large improvement over the stock subwoofer (whose only real benefit was ease of install and tidy packaging under the seat). The Basslink will take up some trunk space, but it's modular enough that I can unplug and remove it quickly if I need the cargo space.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    I had a Basslink in my first WRX, though I suspect that they've improved on the model. I was pleased with it.

I was just kidding about you getting that HU..but I would be really interested to see if it's worth a $300 outlay.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post

I was just kidding about you getting that HU..but I would be really interested to see if it's worth a $300 outlay.
    Well, since I can't seem to find a local shop that carries it, it might be my only option, since from its description, it should do everything I want it to. UI bugs can be fixed with software, so I'm hopeful that they ironed out most of the bugs since most of the nasty reviews were from 8 months ago. We'll see.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

Good looks on the AppRadio2...I didn't know they were doing a second one so soon. I imagine that it will fix a lot of the quirks from the first one. I wouldn't mind spending that dough on it either. I get unlimited data cause my Droid Bionic is paid for by work
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

The second version comes in April. Counting down the days till this puppy goes on sale.

I'd say wait till April. It also supports android!

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, but $600 is out of my budget. If the reviews are very favorable, I might consider it, but if the Appradio 1 works for me I'd be happy with that.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.