08 Ipod interface issue

This is a discussion on 08 Ipod interface issue within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I just installed the OEM Ipod interface on my 2008 impreza, but when I try and get it to work ...

08 Ipod interface issue

I just installed the OEM Ipod interface on my 2008 impreza, but when I try and get it to work it does nothing but charge my iphone. I looked in other forums and they say there is an adapter but it seems they shipped this kit with the 5v charging adapter. The message on my radio continues to say "detached" is there anyway to get it to work with a newer iphone?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Could be a few things.... If the head unit says "detached" you definitely have more than just a charger. Are you sure you have the right media hub kit.... there are two, one with navi, one for without navi.

Additionally, you might have a faulty wire in the kit. I got one installed by the dealer last month and the wire for the left side audio was shorted out... they just replaced the wire yesterday.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

I have the right hub. I went by the VIN and got the one without the navi. If I had a faulty wire wouldn't the rest of the head unit not work? or was it just the left side audio for the actual kit?

I Support ClubWRX
    In my case, the left side audio was out most of the time when using the iPod, but would cut in for a few seconds randomly.....and the right side would cut out randomly at other times. This was only when using the iPod...CD/Radio/Satellite all worked flawlessly through all speakers. Now that I think about it, I also had my iPod detach a few times requiring me to unplug and replug it.

If there is a faulty wire in the media hub, it does not seem to effect the workings of the rest of the head unit. In my case, it was the cable that goes from the jack in the console to the black box. I would assume the same cable would be bad on yours, cause if the cable from the HU to the black box was bad, the USB options would not even show up in the HU.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

I guess i'll have to have the dealer take a look at it. I just hate paying ridiculous amount of money to them.

I Support ClubWRX
    Well, you have 2 other options....

1) Get a multimeter and check the cables. wires that have issues will have high resistance, or if the wire is completely broke, you would not be able to measure it with the ohm meter. The UBS cable should be able to be checked with your computer....and replaced with a normal USB cable. The wiring harness cable would be fixed by replacing wires or by returning it to the dealer for replacement.

2) If you know someone else with a media hub that works, you could plug your wires into their unit and see if it works. (man that sounds dirty)

Did you get the media hub from a dealer? if so, you should be able to take it back and tell them that it was delivered to you faulty, and they should have no issues in replacing it.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

Yeah I bought it from a dealer. It doesn't have the USB connector though. Just the Apple pin connector and the stereo hookup.

Quote Originally Posted by erfranke89 View Post
    Yeah I bought it from a dealer. It doesn't have the USB connector though. Just the Apple pin connector and the stereo hookup.
    I bought the OEM one for my 08 WRX as well, but from a dealer through ebay. Mine worked fine during the first day... The second day, music stopped coming from the iphone, a high feedback noise started coming out through the speakers, and finally, the radio died. It was non responsive for about 6 hours. I unplugged the unit and the radio came back on.

I plugged it back in, and it started making my radio go on and off intermitently (if that's a word... I'm from PR). I finally removed it and spoke with the seller. He told me this was not the first unit he had trouble with, and that he had several already returned. He also said there were several electronic and manufacturer issues with some batches of this unit, so he just refunded my money, no questions asked.

In conclusion, replace it, or return it. I tried these guys: Subaru 08-09 GROM USB/iPod car interface adapter, and it worked like a charm. The problem is that the item on the link is their new device, which also takes usb flash drives (which I think is a lot better), but I haven't tried it yet. Their old model: Grom Audio GROM-I3-SUB08 Subaru iPod/iPhone Adapter Kit | eBay, worked great on my 08 WRX, which I later installed on my wife's 2010 Forester and it's still working great after 2 years. Their customer and tech support is very good, but I recommend using the Live Chat during their business hours to get a faster response.

So interestingly enough I connected my friends iPhone 3gs that was updated to IOS5, and it worked perfectly with the hook up. So unless anyone knows a fix, I might just return it and buy the GROM adapter.