Subaru WRX Forum banner

How tough is it to DIY a new stereo head unit in a 2012 WRX?

18K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  rage-wrx 
#1 ·
The 2012 stereo sucks balls. And that's being nice. My 2002 is better.

Anyway, if I wind up picking up a new WRX that's the one thing I want to do with it but I've never wired a car stereo before and I know with the bluetooth and usb hook-ups this won't be simple. So how bad can I screw this up?

#6 ·
the relationship of tough to experience is pretty much a directly proportionate one.

Head units are pretty simple, takes all of 5 min to remove the old one.. probably a hour total to properly and neatly make all the connections and install a new one. ;)

Crutchfield is a really good source of information if you're in need. ;)

#13 ·
that depends on the head unit and what functions are controlled/allowed if the E-brake is pulled. Need to find out what unit you have and what mods are out there to get around the parking brake need.

I wish it was a simple answer but its not. Not trying to be a jerk.. just cant help without more information.

#9 ·
The steering wheel controls are one of the easiest parts. But you have to be well prepared. Go to ae64.com and do some reading there, then order the harness and metra axxess steering wheel control adapter from him.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

#14 ·
The physical install for a 2012 Impreza is the same as 2008-2011. Guides for any of those years will be applicable.

It is possible to remove just the bezel/fascia piece that surrounds the OEM radio (without having to remove that entire long trim piece that goes out to the passenger door). Keep looking through the forums for tips on how to do that.

On 2011-2012 models, Bluetooth (the wireless transceiver part) is built into the OEM HU. Removing the OEM HU means removing BT functionality. So if you want to keep BT, you would need your aftermarket HU to have that feature.

The factory microphone is in your map light cluster, but nobody has posted a solution to use it with an aftermarket HU. Plan on using the mic that comes with your new HU.

The phone/BT buttons on your steering wheel are just buttons. An aftermarket HU doesn't know or care what the labels say. It's up to you to program them to do whatever functions on your new HU that you want. Most aftermarket HUs will require a steering wheel interface module to make that happen.

See this post for more info (all still applicable to 2012 models, except possibly the 2012 OEM nav HU -- I don't have any details on that yet).

#16 ·
It is possible to remove just the bezel/fascia piece that surrounds the OEM radio (without having to remove that entire long trim piece that goes out to the passenger door). Keep looking through the forums for tips on how to do that.
It is possible if you stick a thin plastic panel remover into the edges of the bezel.

But it is easier & safer to pull of the trim piece as the bezel comes off with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.