Subaru WRX Forum banner

Replacing door speakers (question)

24K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  jd92677 
#1 ·
I've been doing a lot of reading on the forums and have not been able to decipher a clear answer. I'm looking to upgrade all the door speakers an have some questions below.

1) what size is each door speaker?
2) I've read that they sell adapters for aftermarket door speakers to put diff sizes. Do I need this?
3)what door speakers fit using the stock configuration?
4)Can I use stock housing for the upgraded tweeters or do I need to buy an adaptor?

#2 ·
6.5" Front / 5.25" Rear
Spacers should be used because most aftermarket speakers have a larger depth.

Tweeters should be placed in the A-Pillar / Kick Panels for best SQ

#4 · (Edited)
Jabbathewhat said:
I forgot to mention its a 2012. Does it change for that year? And what spacers are recommended? I found one by Audio Integrations, I believe. Any recommendations?
The same sizes should work. AI makes great stuff.

I wouldn't bother with the rear speakers until you've upgraded your headunit, front speakers, amp, sub, and proper sound deadening installed. They are just fill anyway, and you'll get more out of the other stuff mentioned.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Jabbathewhat said:
Curious to know why not to bother with the rear speakers. Aren't they the same as the front? If so, wouldn't they benefit from an upgrade as well?
Staging. How much time do you spend in the rear seat?

Jabbathewhat said:
What speakers did you guys end up using and did you need the spacer adapters.? Also where did you install the dynamat at?
Here's a good guide:
NASIOC - View Single Post - STI sound deadening, new tutorial

#11 ·
I have boston pros, I was able to re-use the spacers that the OEM speakers came in and put the tweeters in the OEM location with a little modification. I dynamatted the whole door, it's a little overkill but it sounds fantastic

#12 ·
AI just came out with those spacers.Should be good.

I would have ordered them but I got mine from PVC Speaker Adapters - CNC Machined - In Stock or Custom Made already.

The tweeters I got did not fit in the stock sail.You may have to do some modification to them to get them to fit there.Or like suggested earlier put them in the A-pillars or kick panels.

I have Monster RX-6s for coaxial speakers.Also dynamated all 4 doors & hatch area.

#13 ·
Jabbathewhat said:
I will deff check out the links for that. I thought upgrading the rears would add to the sound as a whole. Also what speakers did you end up using?
Yes, but they pull the stage away from the front of the car, where you spend 99% of your time. Until you've done the other stuff listed (including deadening like the link I provided), your money is better spent elsewhere.

Speaker brand is a personal thing, similar to car exhausts. Your best bet is to hit up a few car audio stores in your area with a broad collection of music you'd listen to, and listen to what they have on display. Pick the speakers you like best.

Mikie13 said:
I really wanted a set when I bought my speakers, but I was on a budget, and just couldn't swing them at the time. When I get a raise, I will likely be swapping out my Alpine Type-Xs for them or a set of Image Dynamics.

rage-wrx said:
The tweeters I got did not fit in the stock sail.You may have to do some modification to them to get them to fit there.Or like suggested earlier put them in the A-pillars or kick panels.
If you're going to spend the coin on quality parts, install them properly.

jd92677 said:
I have boston pros, I was able to re-use the spacers that the OEM speakers came in and put the tweeters in the OEM location with a little modification. I dynamatted the whole door, it's a little overkill but it sounds fantastic
Not likely "overkill". Inner skin? Outer skin? Both?

#16 ·
Only reason I have Focals is because the previous owner put them in :rotfl:

I would have put in some good Alpines, Bostons, Infinitys, or MB Quarts if I was doing it myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.