OEM SUB?

This is a discussion on OEM SUB? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; O.K I know the oem subs suck!!! I installed one last year that I found cheap on E-bay. So on ...

OEM SUB?

O.K I know the oem subs suck!!! I installed one last year that I found cheap on E-bay. So on with my question, Can you hook up two of the oem subs one under each seat with the same power you get from the head unit? The one I have has another wire harness so I wander if there is enough power to run both together? I could splice the wire to the other wire harness and mount it under the other seat. I do like the fact that they are out of the way. Subie's are not kown for there stereo set ups. I have thought about up grading the speakers but i want to keep the orginal head unit. The stearing controls are basicaly what I want to keep otherwise the rest is junk. I dont know about adding a amp to the set up?? any Ideas would be great***********thanks D
    STAGE 1 IS MORE FUN BUT STAGE 2 THERE'S MORE TO DO

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The JBL MS-8 is what you want.I am in the process of installing one.You get to keep the stock HU.But you would have to add an amp,speakers& sub.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Anyone who knows the electronic stuff here??? I just wanted to know if I can splice the wires to hook up two OEM subs under each seat. Is there enough power?? I might just give it a try?

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Don't do it, you could potentially harm your amplifier. What happens when you run speakers in a parallel configuration like you're talking about is that you cut the resistance in half. If the speakers are 4 ohm and you run two in parallel then you're effectively running 2 ohm. If your amp is only designed to run 4 ohm then it will either send it into protection mode, or simply fry.

The speakers would still get the same amount of power to each one, your concern is the draw the decreased resistance will create on your amp.

any suggestions on how to make two subs work off the Oem head unit? are you saying i need to add a small amp?

Well wait a minute.. these subs are self powered, aren't they? Do they accept line level inputs?

Yes they are powered subs, What do you mean level inputs? I know there is a wire harness, connector, fuse and a knob to adjust the base level. Maybe I jusr look into a small amp? I will have to find out how much amp does the OEM HEAD UNIT puts out. ???

Well you're not going to be able to hook up an external amp to those speakers, they already have an amp built in. The OEM HU probably puts out something like 5-7 watts RMS.. as far as how many AMPs it draws? Maybe 10 at the most?

Exactly what type of input is coming into the sub from the wiring harness? Is it just spliced off of the rear speaker outs? If that's the case you could potentially splice a new harness off of the front speaker outs.. although when you adjust the fader it would then adjust your sub bias left or right..

I found a thread Stock head unit information -- pin-outs, aux inputs, and more - NASIOC It looks like I can make this happen! I either can splice and T the two subs togther by the seats or run a new line up to the head unit and chain them together up there. I think when I installed the first sub I just pluged the door speakers in behind the sub connecter. I still dont know the specs of the OEM head unit. Wish me luck!!! ********* D