Help choosing amp
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Help choosing amp within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I'm looking to get an amp.Nothing too powerful.I just want to listen to music in the car & not be ...

I Support ClubWRX

Help choosing amp

I'm looking to get an amp.Nothing too powerful.I just want to listen to music in the car & not be heard from 3 blocks away.

So far I have narrowed it down to 2 choices :

1.Alpine MRX-V60 5-channel car amplifier — 50 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms + 300 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms at Crutchfield.com

2.Alpine PDX-5 5-channel car amplifier 75 watts RMS x 4 + 300 watts RMS x 1 at Crutchfield Signature

Any advise would be appreciated
    Last edited by rage-wrx; 11-10-2011 at 06:12 PM.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Do you have a sub?

Typically, I recommend a 4-channel amp for any car that isn't going for all-out upgrade; use 1/2 for front speakers, and bridge 3/4 for the sub. If you go that route, you need to consider what speakers/sub you plan to use in the future, so you don't have to buy an amp twice.

Rear speakers are pretty much just fill, so they should be the last upgrade you do.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    I plan on getting a sub.Just ordered the Audio Integrations sub enclosure http://www.audiointegrations.net/08subaru.html.I will also be changing all 4 speakers.

I was drawn to these particular models because of the size (I want a single unit that fits under the front passenger seat and their efficiency(apparently they do not run hot) .
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    AI makes a fantastic enclosure!!

As for your goals, the rear speakers should come last; they should only be a consideration after the following:
    1) Aftermarket H/U
    2) 4-ch Amplifier
    3) Good 6.5" comonents (F)
    4) 10+" subwoofer

The rear speakers don't give much performance gain, so invest the extra money into a H/U or the front components.

For someone considering a sub, G8toWRXDave has two 10W3 subs and enclosures F/S. If he's willing to split them (I've asked him about it), $125 for a sub/enclosure is a steal, and is a GREAT sub for a mild audio upgrade. You can probably sell the enclosure for $50 locally to recoup some of the cost.
    Last edited by EJ257; 10-16-2011 at 08:06 PM.

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    For what it's worth, I have an Alpine PDX-4.100 powering my front door and rear deck speakers. SQ is great and it doesn't seem to get very warm. I would recommend it.. of those two I would go for the PDX-5.

Alpine every day and 5x on Sunday. Their car equipment is the best on the market and I say that from personal experience.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Alpine every day and 5x on Sunday. Their car equipment is the best on the market and I say that from personal experience.
    Alpine makes some high quality parts (I run Type-X components in my car), but they're not the best. A good compromise of cost/quality, yes.

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    For someone considering a sub, G8toWRXDave has two 10W3 subs and enclosures F/S. If he's willing to split them (I've asked him about it), $125 for a sub/enclosure is a steal, and is a GREAT sub for a mild audio upgrade. You can probably sell the enclosure for $50 locally to recoup some of the cost.
    Which of these is that

Amazon.com: JL Audio 10W3v3-2 Single 2 ohm 10" W3v3 Subwoofer 10W3v3: Automotive

or

http://www.amazon.com/JL-Audio-10W3v...8821667&sr=1-1
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Alpine makes some high quality parts (I run Type-X components in my car), but they're not the best. A good compromise of cost/quality, yes.
    What do you think is better for 99% of people and what they want out of a car audio system? I've had Harmon Kardon, Bose, Alpine, and others and Alpine has by far the best sound quality.
    Scott
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    What do you think is better for 99% of people and what they want out of a car audio system? I've had Harmon Kardon, Bose, Alpine, and others and Alpine has by far the best sound quality.

Speaker wise, I'd have to go with Hybrid Audio. I have the Alpine iDA-X305S HU and I'm not exactly impressed with the SQ. My PDX amp is great however, and I'm looking at getting an Alpine SWR-1023D 10" Type R sub and Alpine PDX M6 amp to round out my system once I install new Hybrid Audio speakers in the front doors and rear deck. It seems like Alpine's SQ has gone a little downhill in the last few years.. at least with their mid range products.

I Support ClubWRX
    Bose in particular makes me and many others cringe. I try to separate the company from the man, because the company is brilliant at marketing but not quite up to par at sound. HK is IMO now basically a holding company for ex-US and non-US IP, trademarks, etc. Alpine is good bang:buck ratio.

In general, "car audio" is a losing proposition. However, there are parts available that would hold their own in any environment. Decent switching power supplies, quality components in the signal path, and so on. Most are now collector items from the 90s/00s (read: Zapco et al.), as the market dives to the bottom with boom/tizz and so on. Anyway, since you asked: If money were no object, I would look closely at any speaker component by ATC, particularly their dome midrange (the "must" mid; there is ATC and then there is chaos). I'd also look at anything by Beyma.

Having selected speakers, I'd then see what's available to drive them. There used to be a few US-made amplifiers; now, I don't know any more. That's what I'd do if I wanted to throw $ at the problem though.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

My Alpine experience as admittedly almost 10 years old. I'm old and was modding cars before most people here were driving. The components I had from them at that point were amazing.
    Scott

I Support ClubWRX
    My Alpine experience as admittedly almost 10 years old.
    There have been better times. The transition to simpler PCBs and switching supplies and the dive to the bottom of the barrel during price wars brought about by successive financial crises has not been kind to very traditional, highly esteemed western manufacturers. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Alpine, and it's not just because I tend to dismiss almost all car audio; it's also because they have sold good products at good prices for decades. Of the brands you listed, I would use Alpine just as you have.

However, I would either use brands you've not listed if I had $, or stay stock if I didn't. I'm more all-or-nothing for some reason.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones
    Alpine offers great products.

There are better options out there (.e.g., Zapco)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

UNYSOC

I love the Alpine PDX, but I went for this amp. Fits sideways under the seat, but pretty snug. Excellent sound quality and even if you don't need the power, the additional headroom will keep you from operating near the amplifier's limits, where they are inefficient and prone to higher levels of distortion.

Massive Audio NX5 Nano Block Series 5-Channel Car Amplifier

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast