Help choosing amp - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

This is a discussion on Help choosing amp within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Originally Posted by wapam Hey rage, could you elaborate on how the speakers and tweeters didn't fit? Diameter too big/small, ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wapam View Post
    Hey rage, could you elaborate on how the speakers and tweeters didn't fit? Diameter too big/small, too deep, etc.
    The tweeters were too big for the stock sails.I wanted to drill the sails & put the tweeters in them but wasn't sure if they would hold.So I put them in the A-pillars.You can also put them on the kick panel.That would be easier.

The speakers were humongous.I got some standard spacers ,but these specific speakers were too big for them.Luckily a guy on ebay was making mdf spacers specially for them.The front windows still scrape the back of the speakers but I never roll down the windows anyway,at least not all the way.So I let it be.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Thanks.
    How thick is the spacer? I'm assuming there isn't room to go thicker.
    I'm interested in the ck6 series v MA components primarily for the low frequency response (20 Hz) and they are 1/4" shallower then yours, maybe they would fit better

How much too big are the tweeters? How big are the stock tweeters?

Thanks for all your advice

I Support ClubWRX
    Look on DIYMA for better pricing.The vendors there give you great deals.That and sonic electronix.

The tweeters are huge compared to the tiny factory tweeters.They may fit in the stock sails,but I thought it would look awkward sticking out.

Depth difference between RK6 & CK6 2.75 VS 2.5.The spacer was specifically made for the RK6 because of its shape.

The CK6 should fit in the door with standard aftermarket spacers.But I'd check before ordering.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Tony,

How thick are the spacers you got?

I Support ClubWRX
    Tony,

How thick are the spacers you got?
    The ones I got were specifically made for the speakers shape.To tell you the truth I did not measure them.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

How do the tweeters sound? Are they harsh at all? Do they get fatiguing after a while?

I Support ClubWRX
    The tweeters are a bit harsh.I was a little surprised & overwhelmed at first.But I've gotten used to it now.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

So after contacting Massive, they confirm mouthing depth of the CK5V as being 2.75", which leads me to more questions (imagine that…).

You mentioned that the windows scrape the back of the speaker, does the window still go down all the way or does it hit the speaker and stop?

Could you go thicker on the spacer or would the speaker hit the inside of the door panel?

Thanks

I Support ClubWRX
    There may be some space inside the door panel.I'm not sure.It is a snug fit but that was with the weatherstrip.

The window goes down all the way.It just ever so slightly scrapes the back of the speaker.Like is said it doesn't bother me because I don't roll down the window all the way,ever.Also I do not know if doing that regularly would damage the tint on the window,but that is a possibility.

This is what the spacer looks like Massive Audio RK 6 flush mount MDF rings | eBay

T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

How does the sub sound in the AI enclosure? I've been thinking about maybe going with the AI and 10" sub but really don't want too much bass as I don't need to shake the car or feel like I'm getting punched in the gut. I see you have a sub control knob, does that work pretty well?

Thanks.

I Support ClubWRX
    Sub sounds great.Yes,bass control knob is great.You can use it too turn off the sub or run it at its highest output.I usually have it at the middle setting.

MASSIVE AUDIO DBR BASS KNOB REMOTE CONTROL FOR MONO AMPLIFIER NEW | eBay
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Banned
    I run a 1 "10" Polk DXi in a ported box with an Alpine MRP 500, it definately gets the job done

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Sub sounds great.Yes,bass control knob is great.You can use it too turn off the sub or run it at its highest output.I usually have it at the middle setting.MASSIVE AUDIO DBR BASS KNOB REMOTE CONTROL FOR MONO AMPLIFIER NEW | eBay
    If you didn't have the bass control knob, would you find the sub to be too loud/overpowering? Would turning down the bass have the same effect?

I Support ClubWRX
    If you didn't have the bass control knob, would you find the sub to be too loud/overpowering? Would turning down the bass have the same effect?
    I really have't tried running the system without the control knob.

Adjusting bass on the HU or the processor may have the same effect,but I'm not sure it could control the sub individually.

Its just a lot easier doing it with the simple turn of the knob instead of making it complicated.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

I Support ClubWRX
    Bump for good stuff. I'll be doing a similar build for the Outback, sans the MS-8 for now.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234