Help choosing amp - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Help choosing amp within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Install has not gone as planned.Everything that could go wrong has 1.AI enclosure bolts did not fit.Had to find the ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Install has not gone as planned.Everything that could go wrong has

1.AI enclosure bolts did not fit.Had to find the right bolt

2.Speakers do not fit.Had to buy custom made MDF rings made specially for the Massive RK6

3.Tweeters did not fit in stock sail.So I am now busy making a custom ring to fit in the A-pillar which I will later fiber glass & cover with leather.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

youre gettin there though, will sound loads better when youre done. i need to take care of the rattles in my rear deck and do the whole sound deadening thing (i know, that should have been done first). need some motivation and some funds.
    2011 WRX Limited - Dark Grey Metallic
    [Cobb stage 2 93+ SF Intake] [Invidia Catted DP] [SMY Gauge Cluster w/Boost and Volt Gauges] [Monkeybone Racing Heater Vent Gauge Panel w/Oil Pressure and Temp Gauges]
    [Cobb Heatshield] [Kartboy SS] [Weathertech Floorliners] [Hardwired V1 w/Remote Display] [Complete Aftermarket Audio System] [Lighted WRX fender badges]

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx
    3.Tweeters did not fit in stock sail.So I am now busy making a custom ring to fit in the A-pillar which I will later fiber glass & cover with leather.
    Blessing in disguise; the OE tweeter location is less than ideal.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Blessing in disguise; the OE tweeter location is less than ideal.
    Yeah,I had planned on moving them forward initially,but wasn't brave enough to put a hole in my A-pillars.

Now that it is inevitable,I think it may be for the best.I just finished work on the mdf rings.Resin goes on tomorrow.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx
    Yeah,I had planned on moving them forward initially,but wasn't brave enough to put a hole in my A-pillars.
    If you don't want to do the A-Pillars (where it's visible if you screw up), do the kick panels (that's where my tweeters are)
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    If you don't want to do the A-Pillars (where it's visible if you screw up), do the kick panels (that's where my tweeters are)
    Too late,lol.My A-pillars have 2 gaping holes in them.

I "want" them to look like rsutton's.This is exactly what I am doing,mdf rings fiberglassed & wrapped in leather.

T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

I Support ClubWRX
    So I'm almost done with the install.I was going to switch everything on today when I noticed that many installers wrap their power cords in braided fire retardant sleevesTechflex FRN0.38TB10 Sleeving, 3/8 In Flame Retardant, 10 Ft.

I did the same only with the ordinary fire retardant conduits you get in the auto storesAmazon.com: 3/8" Wire And Tubing Protector Split Loom 50 Foot Coil: Automotive.

Is there any difference or does the braided sleeve provide any advantage?
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

I didn't wrap mine at all, just another layer of insulation in case the wire is rubbing on metal. If its fused it wouldn't get hot enough to start on fire before the fuse blew. Id say you're good with just the split loom.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    2011 WRX Limited - Dark Grey Metallic
    [Cobb stage 2 93+ SF Intake] [Invidia Catted DP] [SMY Gauge Cluster w/Boost and Volt Gauges] [Monkeybone Racing Heater Vent Gauge Panel w/Oil Pressure and Temp Gauges]
    [Cobb Heatshield] [Kartboy SS] [Weathertech Floorliners] [Hardwired V1 w/Remote Display] [Complete Aftermarket Audio System] [Lighted WRX fender badges]

The Corrugated Tube is generally flame retardant, as well. The Techflex is just better with abrasion protection. Oh, and it looks cool, too! The protective coating on the conductor is probably enough, but if you went the extra step with corrugate, then you definitely have peace of mind that the install will last a long time with no issues.

I Support ClubWRX
    Thank you for all the responses.I just went with the loom I had.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Too late,lol.My A-pillars have 2 gaping holes in them. I "want" them to look like rsutton's.This is exactly what I am doing,mdf rings fiberglassed & wrapped in leather.
    I didn't even bother glassing the rings and went with a cheaper alternative,grill cloth with some 3M Super 77 spray adhesive.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah I went with marine grade vinyl to match the interior.I tried spraying it with General Purpose 45 Spray Adhesive-45 at The Home Depot but it wouldn't stick & way too many creases.So I redid it with 24 oz. Rubber and Vinyl Spray Adhesive-80 at The Home Depot and used the dynamat roller to smooth out the creases.

Pics to come.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

I Support ClubWRX
    Been meaning to put up pics for a while now

Audio integrations sub enclosure with JL sub

]

Sound processor under driver seat

Amp under passenger seat

Bass control knob & screen for the sound processor.Pics were taken while installing.The wires are all hidden now.

T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Hey rage, could you elaborate on how the speakers and tweeters didn't fit? Diameter too big/small, too deep, etc.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Bose in particular makes me and many others cringe. I try to separate the company from the man, because the company is brilliant at marketing but not quite up to par at sound. HK is IMO now basically a holding company for ex-US and non-US IP, trademarks, etc. Alpine is good bang:buck ratio.

In general, "car audio" is a losing proposition. However, there are parts available that would hold their own in any environment. Decent switching power supplies, quality components in the signal path, and so on. Most are now collector items from the 90s/00s (read: Zapco et al.), as the market dives to the bottom with boom/tizz and so on. Anyway, since you asked: If money were no object, I would look closely at any speaker component by ATC, particularly their dome midrange (the "must" mid; there is ATC and then there is chaos). I'd also look at anything by Beyma.

Having selected speakers, I'd then see what's available to drive them. There used to be a few US-made amplifiers; now, I don't know any more. That's what I'd do if I wanted to throw $ at the problem though.
    My last car amp (been a while). They can be had <$500 but are very hard to find.

(not my pic, wrong computer)
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast